Netgear WG311v3 Wizard - how do I stop it at startup?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by timmons, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. timmons

    timmons Guest

    After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from
    the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at
    startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.

    The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard
    appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon
    kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start
    playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

    I've been corresponding with Netgear "technical support" - if that's
    what they want to call themselves - for a week now trying to get the
    simple question answered and they're unable to.

    The Wizard would stay closed at startup prior to 1.1, and this seems
    like the logical approach (why, after all, on a desktop computer, would
    you want to tinker with the network settings every time you start?). So
    how do I have my card connect to my wireless network on startup, but
    keep the Network Wizard from becoming an active window?

    This is in Windows 2000 if that matters.
    timmons, Dec 14, 2006

  2. timmons

    philo Guest

    "timmons" <> wrote in message
    > After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from
    > the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at
    > startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.
    >
    > The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard
    > appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon
    > kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start
    > playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

    <snip>

    There surely must be an option the run the "wizard"

    then *save* your settings....

    If not...then I'd uninstall the device completely
    and reinstall the original driver which presumably works!

    philo, Dec 14, 2006

  3. timmons

    timmons Guest

    In article <4580ba79$0$15493$>,
    "philo" <> wrote:

    > There surely must be an option the run the "wizard"
    >
    > then *save* your settings....
    >
    > If not...then I'd uninstall the device completely
    > and reinstall the original driver which presumably works!

    Nope. The wizard launches at every startup and stays maximized until
    closed. According to Netgear technical support, my only option is to
    remove the Wizard from the startup items, then, each time I start the
    computer, manually connect to the internet. Crummy or what?

    I lost my original installation disk, with the original driver. So I'm
    stuck with the current version.
    timmons, Dec 15, 2006
  4. timmons <> hath wroth:

    >After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from
    >the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at
    >startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.
    >
    >The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard
    >appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon
    >kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start
    >playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

    Download and install Startup Inspector for Windoze from:
    http://www.windowsstartup.com
    It's free. Run it and see if the Netgear client manager is started
    with any weird options after the executeable. I don't have a machine
    with a Netgear wireless card installed to check how the line is
    suppose to look.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Jeff Liebermann, Dec 15, 2006
  5. timmons

    philo Guest

    > Nope. The wizard launches at every startup and stays maximized until
    > closed. According to Netgear technical support, my only option is to
    > remove the Wizard from the startup items, then, each time I start the
    > computer, manually connect to the internet. Crummy or what?
    >
    > I lost my original installation disk, with the original driver. So I'm
    > stuck with the current version.

    unless netgear still has it on their site...

    if not try www.driverguide.com

    as they *might* have the original driver

    philo, Dec 15, 2006