Netgear TA612V

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Aaron J, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Aaron J

    Aaron J Guest

    Dear All,

    I just purchased a new netgear TA612v and initially I was under the
    assumption it could be used with my current router Netgear DG834T. After
    un-packing the router I noticed it had a port for ethernet and a port for
    the internet so I assumed I could configure the both to be visable on my
    internal LAN with port forwarding well after speaking to Netgear support
    last night they told I had to disable NAT on my Netgear DG834T router in
    order for it to work but unfortunately in this case I have port forwarding
    working because I run a mail server. Any ideas out there? or should I just
    return the item..

    Thanks

    Aaron.

    p.s. please remove nospam from my email addy.
    Aaron J, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Aaron J

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Aaron J wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I just purchased a new netgear TA612v and initially I was under the
    > assumption it could be used with my current router Netgear DG834T.
    > After un-packing the router I noticed it had a port for ethernet
    > and a port for the internet so I assumed I could configure the both
    > to be visable on my internal LAN with port forwarding well after
    > speaking to Netgear support last night they told I had to disable
    > NAT on my Netgear DG834T router in order for it to work but
    > unfortunately in this case I have port forwarding working because I
    > run a mail server. Any ideas out there? or should I just return the
    > item..
    > Thanks

    You can't use the TA612V behind a router without a lot of fiddling. It's
    possible but difficult. It's designed to be plugged directly into an ADSL
    modem.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Aaron J

    wooosh Guest

    >> speaking to Netgear support last night they told I had to disable
    >> NAT on my Netgear DG834T router in order for it to work but
    >> unfortunately in this case I have port forwarding working because I
    >> run a mail server. Any ideas out there? or should I just return the
    >> item..
    >> Thanks

    > You can't use the TA612V behind a router without a lot of fiddling. It's
    > possible but difficult. It's designed to be plugged directly into an ADSL
    > modem.
    >
    > Ivor

    Aaron,

    I am having the same problem with both the 834 + 612.
    I did have it going behind my 834 with NAT but it stopped the other day. I
    have been trying to disable NAT on the 834 so it could send my WAN ip
    address direct to the 612 and then run my internal LAN (+servers) behind it.
    I'm not having luck with that idea either! Let me know if you have any
    success.
    wooosh, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Aaron J

    Aaron J Guest

    Hi,

    I was thinking to try this option which is to setup the 612 with an internal
    i.p. address and plug it into the 834 using the internet port on the 612
    then enabling remote management then I just read a document from Vonage and
    just enabling the following ports:
    Some popular brand routers have firewall options built in. If your network
    is connecting through a firewall, or a router with firewall capabilities, it
    may interfere with the Phone Adapter's service. If you experience any
    problems with your Vonage service, and are connecting through a firewall, be
    sure the following ports are allowed to and from the Phone Adapter.

    Phone Adapters Internet ports:
    SIP ports 5060 through 5061 using UDP protocol
    NTP port 123 using UDP protocol
    TFTP port 69 using UDP protocol
    DNS port 53 using UDP protocol
    RTP ports 10,000 through 20,000 using UDP protocol
    Since each firewall may be designed differently, please consult firewall
    owners manual for further information

    This effectively should route all voip traffic to that device. I will give a
    try and then come back to you.. I wish they made this device easy as the 834
    is a superb DSL Router.

    Regards,

    Aaron.

    Aaron J, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Aaron J

    wooosh Guest

    > Phone Adapters Internet ports:
    > SIP ports 5060 through 5061 using UDP protocol
    > NTP port 123 using UDP protocol
    > TFTP port 69 using UDP protocol
    > DNS port 53 using UDP protocol
    > RTP ports 10,000 through 20,000 using UDP protocol
    > Since each firewall may be designed differently, please consult firewall
    > owners manual for further information
    >
    > This effectively should route all voip traffic to that device. I will give
    > a try and then come back to you.. I wish they made this device easy as the
    > 834 is a superb DSL Router.
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Aaron.

    I had mine working this way but on the Sipgate service. I gave the 612 an
    IP address of 192.168.0.7 on my 834 then forwarded all relevant ports to it.
    It worked OK but has recently given up the ghost!

    Let me know how you get on.

    Paul.
    wooosh, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Aaron J

    Aaron J Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Well I tried the below out to no avail. I just decided to sign up for Vonage
    so it looks like there Phone Adaptor (Linksys) is compliant with internal
    LANs using NAT.

    Regards,

    Aaron.

    Aaron J, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Aaron J

    Martin² Guest

    Aaron J:
    >I just decided to sign up for Vonage so it looks like there Phone Adaptor
    >(Linksys) is compliant with internal LANs using NAT.

    Don't buy the Linksys adapter from Vonage / Staples b'cause they are locked
    to Vonage,
    they are available elsewhere (can't remember where I have seen them).
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jun 5, 2005
  8. Aaron J

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    If you can force the TA612v to use specific ports for both SIP (typically
    5060) and RTP (varies) then you should be able to use port mapping.

    However, some devices don't let you force the RTP ports in which case it
    simply won't work because the TA612v will choose a random port to listen on
    but nothing will come back in!

    HOWEVER, if you configure it to use STUN then it "should just work" (tm) as
    this is what most devices (e.g. X-Lite) do. If it doesn't support STUN,
    then it's a poor device and I'd return it.

    Paul DS.
    Paul D.Smith, Jun 6, 2005
  9. Aaron J

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Paul D.Smith wrote:
    > If you can force the TA612v to use specific ports for both SIP
    > (typically 5060) and RTP (varies) then you should be able to use
    > port mapping.
    >
    > However, some devices don't let you force the RTP ports in which
    > case it simply won't work because the TA612v will choose a random
    > port to listen on but nothing will come back in!
    >
    > HOWEVER, if you configure it to use STUN then it "should just work"
    > (tm) as this is what most devices (e.g. X-Lite) do. If it doesn't
    > support STUN, then it's a poor device and I'd return it.
    >
    > Paul DS.

    As Sipgate sell them pre-configured for the user's account, and Sipgate do
    indeed use STUN then I'd hazard a guess that STUN works ;-)

    I have a friend who is expecting delivery of one tomorrow, I'll find out
    how he gets on..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 6, 2005
  10. Aaron J

    wooosh Guest

    >> (tm) as this is what most devices (e.g. X-Lite) do. If it doesn't
    >> support STUN, then it's a poor device and I'd return it.
    >>
    >> Paul DS.

    > As Sipgate sell them pre-configured for the user's account, and Sipgate do
    > indeed use STUN then I'd hazard a guess that STUN works ;-)
    >
    > I have a friend who is expecting delivery of one tomorrow, I'll find out
    > how he gets on..!
    >
    > Ivor

    Well, I have just discovered a simple way for it to work behind another
    router.

    Open all ports to and from the TA612V's WAN IP.

    I don't see a problem doing this as I do not have any other devices
    connected to it and it has it's own firewall.

    Since doing this it is working a treat.

    Paul
    wooosh, Jun 6, 2005
  11. Aaron J

    Aaron J Guest

    Hi Paul,

    I took your advice and opened up all the ports for UDP on my DG834 and now
    Sipgate is working - excellent, Thanks again,

    Aaron.

    Aaron J, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Aaron J

    Guest

    Hi

    Instead of forwarding all ports, just forward ports 1200 - 1300

    Regards

    Aaron J wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > I took your advice and opened up all the ports for UDP on my DG834 and now
    > Sipgate is working - excellent, Thanks again,
    >

    > Aaron.
    >

    > "wooosh" <> wrote in message

    > >> As Sipgate sell them pre-configured for the user's account, and Sipgate
    > >> do indeed use STUN then I'd hazard a guess that STUN works ;-)
    > >>
    > >> I have a friend who is expecting delivery of one tomorrow, I'll find out
    > >> how he gets on..!
    > >>
    > >> Ivor
    > >>

    > > Well, I have just discovered a simple way for it to work behind another
    > > router.
    > >
    > > Open all ports to and from the TA612V's WAN IP.
    > >
    > > I don't see a problem doing this as I do not have any other devices
    > > connected to it and it has it's own firewall.
    > >
    > > Since doing this it is working a treat.
    > >
    > > Paul

    , Jun 15, 2005
  13. Aaron J

    zippytiff Guest

    Just create a firewall rule for ports 1000 - 1300, there seems to be a
    keep alive signal being sent from sipgate (on random ports)

    Regards
    zippytiff, Jun 16, 2005
  14. Aaron J

    zippytiff Guest

    Just to update this the random ports seem to sequentially increase so
    the upper port should be made higher than 1300. Also to tie to the
    firewall rule down the source IPs are 217.10.79.2 & 217.10.79.3

    Regards
    zippytiff, Jun 17, 2005