    --
    TIA!

    Peter.
    Peter X, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Peter X

    Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:52:02 +0100, Peter X <>
    wrote:

    >Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
    >because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

    You mustn't be saying things like that you will have Ivor here in a
    minute saying "oh no it isn't" !
    , Sep 16, 2005

  3. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:52:02 +0100, Peter X
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at
    > > the Linksys PAP2 because it _appears_ that the TA612V
    > > is locked to Sipgate.

    > You mustn't be saying things like that you will have Ivor
    > here in a minute saying "oh no it isn't" !

    Actually it is, but I'm told it's possible to unlock it, although I don't
    know anyone who has done this.

    Rather than the Linksys, I'd personally be looking at something from the
    Sipura range, the Linksys uses similar firmware I think but the Sipuras
    are very flexible and easy to configure once you get the hang of the
    multiplicity of config screens..!

    I am very happy with my Sipura SPA-2000, although I think it's been
    superseded by the 2002 now. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the
    differences are, though..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Peter X

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-09-15, Peter X <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
    > because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

    Myself, I wouldn't be too sure that is; and if it was I would question
    why I was paying so much for it. Following the link 'Help-Centre' from
    Sipgate's opening page leads to you a help section on the TA612V. There
    it refers to configuring the device. This would imply that the TA612V
    is not sold to you in a locked condition.

    Clearing up this matter would appear to be a simple matter of sending an
    email.

    > http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/pro...d=370&osCsid=631e5d43dbad3a0eef0e31275627a7b7
    >
    > It looks fine to me. I know it doesn't support QoS but given its
    > cheapness, I can probably live with it and if not, then I can afford to
    > upgrade at a later date.

    The PAP2 is said to be practically identical to the Sipura 2000. The
    Sipura 2000 is a fine ATA which is much more expensive than the PAP2.

    > Does anyone know of any issues with the PAP2 or reasons why it might not
    > work with a Netgear DG834G?

    I have had no untoward issues with the Sipura 2000.

    Brian.
    Brian, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-09-15, Peter X <> wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at
    > > the Linksys PAP2 because it _appears_ that the TA612V
    > > is locked to Sipgate.

    > Myself, I wouldn't be too sure that is; and if it was I
    > would question why I was paying so much for it.
    > Following the link 'Help-Centre' from Sipgate's opening
    > page leads to you a help section on the TA612V. There it
    > refers to configuring the device. This would imply that
    > the TA612V is not sold to you in a locked condition.

    Unfortunately. it *is* locked as supplied, the configuration page from the
    link you mention takes you to a screen where you can download your Sipgate
    account information into the TA612V, that's all. There is no way on the
    unit as supplied to configure individual options on the VoIP setup,
    although you can do so for the router functions.

    I am told that it is possible to unlock the TA612V but I don't know anyone
    who has managed to do this.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Peter X

    John Smith Guest

    There is currently no way to unlock the device TA612V - I think Netgear GPL
    the firmware so there may be something there
    John Smith, Sep 16, 2005
  7. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:52:02 +0100, Peter X <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any issues with the PAP2 or reasons why it might not
    >work with a Netgear DG834G?

    PAP2 is a good little device at a decent price. It accepts latest
    sipura frmware apparently, though I haven't done that.

    its a shade cheaper at broadbandbuyer.co.uk (beware there's a cheaper
    still Vonage specific one).

    I have a PAP2 currently has a SIPgate and 18866 account running on it.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Peter X

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-09-16, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately. it *is* locked as supplied, the configuration page from the
    > link you mention takes you to a screen where you can download your Sipgate
    > account information into the TA612V, that's all. There is no way on the
    > unit as supplied to configure individual options on the VoIP setup,
    > although you can do so for the router functions.

    Considering Sipgate appear to have an open policy towards the use of any
    SIP phone and, as far as I can see, none of their other products are
    locked, it might be less confusing to make this clear on the website.

    > I am told that it is possible to unlock the TA612V but I don't know anyone
    > who has managed to do this.

    Support at Sipgate maintain the TA612V cannot be unlocked.

    Brian.
    Brian, Sep 16, 2005
  9. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-09-16, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Unfortunately. it *is* locked as supplied, the
    > > configuration page from the link you mention takes you
    > > to a screen where you can download your Sipgate account
    > > information into the TA612V, that's all. There is no
    > > way on the unit as supplied to configure individual
    > > options on the VoIP setup, although you can do so for
    > > the router functions.

    > Considering Sipgate appear to have an open policy towards
    > the use of any SIP phone and, as far as I can see, none
    > of their other products are locked, it might be less
    > confusing to make this clear on the website.

    That's a good point, it might be worth suggesting it..?

    > > I am told that it is possible to unlock the TA612V but
    > > I don't know anyone who has managed to do this.

    > Support at Sipgate maintain the TA612V cannot be unlocked.

    That's interesting, they told me it was..! I believe a password has to be
    obtained that relates to your MAC address, but I didn't try it when I had
    a TA612V as I wasn't able to get the device working behind my router. I
    sold it to a friend who has a cable modem and it works fine for him but he
    has 2 Sipgate accounts so doesn't require it to be unlocked.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 16, 2005
  10. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Peter X, Sep 19, 2005
  11. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 2005-09-15, Peter X <> wrote:
    >

    >>Progressing from my previous post, I'm now looking at the Linksys PAP2
    >>because it _appears_ that the TA612V is locked to Sipgate.

    > Myself, I wouldn't be too sure that is; and if it was I would question
    > why I was paying so much for it. Following the link 'Help-Centre' from
    > Sipgate's opening page leads to you a help section on the TA612V. There
    > it refers to configuring the device. This would imply that the TA612V
    > is not sold to you in a locked condition.
    >
    > Clearing up this matter would appear to be a simple matter of sending an
    > email.

    I posted a question to Netgear support (using their handy online
    webform... that I first had to sign up too!) on Friday, but no response
    as yet (it's true that I can be a little impatient!).

    I posted a smilar question on the Netgear forums and was told that (by
    an Australian) and it *is* unlocked.

    Presently I'm not convinced that it is, and it's looking increasingly
    likely that I'll go for the PAP2 on the basis of price vs. performance.

    --
    All the best,

    Peter
    Peter X, Sep 19, 2005
  12. Peter X

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-09-19, Peter X <> wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> I am very happy with my Sipura SPA-2000, although I think it's been
    >> superseded by the 2002 now. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the
    >> differences are, though..!
    >>

    > Looks like the 2002 is just in a newer, smaller box. I can't see any
    > feature differences:
    >
    > http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm
    >
    > http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2002.htm

    Does this help?

    http://sipura.voxilla.com/product_info.php?products_id=34

    Now why Sipura couldn't use its own website to give us this information?

    Brian.
    Brian, Sep 19, 2005
  13. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ivor Jones, Sep 19, 2005
  14. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Peter X wrote:
    > I posted a question to Netgear support (using their handy online
    > webform... that I first had to sign up too!) on Friday, but no response
    > as yet (it's true that I can be a little impatient!).

    Well, its's too late now (I've just bought a Linksys PAP2), but I got a
    reply from Netgear today, so for the benefit of the group, here's the
    full copy (their reply first, then my question second):

    Problem Presales
    Cause Online request
    Status Open
    Notes
    21/09/2005 20:23:00
    Dear Peter,

    Thank you for contacting Netgear Support. My name is Mohan Singh & I
    will be handling your enquiry.

    I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. In regards to your concern,
    please note that this VOIP adapter is not locked to a single service
    provider. It can be worked with the leading VOIP service providers.

    If you have any further issues, please revert back.

    Regards

    Mohan Singh
    Netgear Support

    16/09/2005 12:43:00
    I am thinking of purchasing a TA612V, but I understand the product is
    locked to a single service provider (in the UK), namely Sipgate.

    Can you confirm that this is the case, and that I cannot use the product
    with any other SIP based VoIP service provider?

    Thanks in advance,

    Peter
    Peter X, Sep 22, 2005