Netgear Support is abysmal

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Stuart Grant, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    I wanted to set up a wireless network with my new computer (Dell) to link up
    the old one now used by wife in another room. I got a USB Wireless network
    adapter with the Dell. A snap to use just, plug in and in no time it is
    looking for the network. I bought a Netgear WG311v3 PCI Card to put in the
    old computer and thought that would be easy. My experience has been
    disastrous. When you open the box there is a notice saying it has not been
    approved by Microsoft for WindowsXP but they have tested it and it works.
    Approval is in progress.
    As instructed I installed the software. That went OK. Then you install the
    card. No problems. Then the Found New Hardware Wizard appears to guide you
    through the installation. After much whirring and animation you get the
    error message Windows cannot install this hardware (correctly identified).
    An error occurred. The system cannot find the file specified. It does not
    say what file !!
    I wrote a detailed problem report to the address in the accompanying
    literature and got a prompt reply - this address is no longer valid. I was
    directed to another address where you first have to fill in a long
    questionnaire before you can ask a question. You are promised an answer
    after one working day. No response. I searched on my own. Found a new
    setup file on their web site, a month old, apparently with WindowsXP
    Certification. Only problem is when I start to download, it times out after
    15 seconds. Tried repeatedly.
    Today, thirteen days after my report, I got an answer - in German.
    Uninstall, delete any folders, clean the Registry and install after
    downloading the new file. Tried to download for the tenth time. Timed
    out. Uninstalled (I had already tried that twice), cleaned the Registry of
    any traces and tried reinstalling from the CD. Same problem as before.
    It seems to me Netgear have developed a large number of new products, some
    or all of which are flaky and they are totally unable to provide support.
    Has anybody had any better experience ?
    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Stuart Grant

    Musashi Guest

    "Stuart Grant" <sagrantatbluewindot.ch> wrote in message
    > I wanted to set up a wireless network with my new computer (Dell) to link

    up
    > the old one now used by wife in another room. I got a USB Wireless

    network
    > adapter with the Dell. A snap to use just, plug in and in no time it is
    > looking for the network. I bought a Netgear WG311v3 PCI Card to put in

    the
    > old computer and thought that would be easy. My experience has been
    > disastrous. When you open the box there is a notice saying it has not

    been
    > approved by Microsoft for WindowsXP but they have tested it and it works.
    > Approval is in progress.
    > As instructed I installed the software. That went OK. Then you install

    the
    > card. No problems. Then the Found New Hardware Wizard appears to guide

    you
    > through the installation. After much whirring and animation you get the
    > error message Windows cannot install this hardware (correctly

    identified).
    > An error occurred. The system cannot find the file specified. It does

    not
    > say what file !!
    > I wrote a detailed problem report to the address in the accompanying
    > literature and got a prompt reply - this address is no longer valid. I

    was
    > directed to another address where you first have to fill in a long
    > questionnaire before you can ask a question. You are promised an answer
    > after one working day. No response. I searched on my own. Found a new
    > setup file on their web site, a month old, apparently with WindowsXP
    > Certification. Only problem is when I start to download, it times out

    after
    > 15 seconds. Tried repeatedly.
    > Today, thirteen days after my report, I got an answer - in German.
    > Uninstall, delete any folders, clean the Registry and install after
    > downloading the new file. Tried to download for the tenth time. Timed
    > out. Uninstalled (I had already tried that twice), cleaned the Registry

    of
    > any traces and tried reinstalling from the CD. Same problem as before.
    > It seems to me Netgear have developed a large number of new products, some
    > or all of which are flaky and they are totally unable to provide support.
    > Has anybody had any better experience ?
    > Stuart

    Don't know what to tell you. I've installed at least 6
    of those WG311v3 PCI cards on varous PCs including
    2 Dells and I've never had any problem.
    So the issue may be unique to your specific PC in some way.

    Musashi, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Stuart Grant

    Guest

    On 24-Apr-2006, "Musashi" <> wrote:

    > Don't know what to tell you. I've installed at least 6
    > of those WG311v3 PCI cards on varous PCs including
    > 2 Dells and I've never had any problem.
    > So the issue may be unique to your specific PC in some way.

    Dells can be a bit finiky, they don't buy bog standard off
    the shelf motherboards, so they are also a pain in the arse
    a few years down the line if you wan't a BIOS update.
    Try a download manager with a resume facility, it should
    get the file in the end.

    , Apr 24, 2006
  4. Hi

    I am not sure what old computer means. As said above might be that if the
    computer is very old there might be compatibility problems.

    When I have such a situation I usually resort to putting a New USB2 PCI card
    into the computer and use a Wireless USB.

    Otherwise, look at the Device manger and get rid of the Ghost
    (http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost ). Switch off the computer and try the PCI
    Wireless in an other slot, make sure that it does not share an IRQ with the
    Graphic card.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 25, 2006
  5. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Appreciate the three helpful comments but they haven't got me any further.

    The "old" computer is five years old, Pentium III 800. I bought a new one
    because it seemed now that some programs wanted more speed.

    I'm tempted to give up, try to get the money back from the dealer and buy a
    Wireless USB. I don't need even to buy a USB2 PCI Card. I have a USB
    available.

    I looked at the Device Manager, found the WG311 with a red cross rather than
    a yellow triangle, which seemed to mean disabled, enabled it but then got
    the yellow triangle. Uninstalled it, did a complete Uninstall with the CD,
    then went over the computer, removed all traces of WG311 from the computer
    and from the Registry, tried to reinstall - same result.

    What baffles me is the inability to download the new setup file. Every time
    it starts by showing "getting the file information from downloads.netgear"
    but then after about 15 seconds gives an error message - Internet Explorer
    timed out. I have never seen this message before and I do downloads all the
    time, often much bigger. I have GetRight, which is a pretty good download
    manager, It can locate the ftp site, give details of the files burt when I
    try to download setup.exe, it cannot connect. Can anyone else download
    this file ? I've reported it to Netgear support but don't expect any
    answer.
    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Stuart Grant

    Lem Guest

    Stuart Grant wrote:

    > Appreciate the three helpful comments but they haven't got me any further.
    >
    > The "old" computer is five years old, Pentium III 800. I bought a new one
    > because it seemed now that some programs wanted more speed.
    >
    > I'm tempted to give up, try to get the money back from the dealer and buy a
    > Wireless USB. I don't need even to buy a USB2 PCI Card. I have a USB
    > available.
    >
    > I looked at the Device Manager, found the WG311 with a red cross rather than
    > a yellow triangle, which seemed to mean disabled, enabled it but then got
    > the yellow triangle. Uninstalled it, did a complete Uninstall with the CD,
    > then went over the computer, removed all traces of WG311 from the computer
    > and from the Registry, tried to reinstall - same result.
    >
    > What baffles me is the inability to download the new setup file. Every time
    > it starts by showing "getting the file information from downloads.netgear"
    > but then after about 15 seconds gives an error message - Internet Explorer
    > timed out. I have never seen this message before and I do downloads all the
    > time, often much bigger. I have GetRight, which is a pretty good download
    > manager, It can locate the ftp site, give details of the files burt when I
    > try to download setup.exe, it cannot connect. Can anyone else download
    > this file ? I've reported it to Netgear support but don't expect any
    > answer.
    > Stuart
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am not sure what old computer means. As said above might be that if the
    > > computer is very old there might be compatibility problems.
    > >
    > > When I have such a situation I usually resort to putting a New USB2 PCI
    > > card into the computer and use a Wireless USB.
    > >
    > > Otherwise, look at the Device manger and get rid of the Ghost
    > > (http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost ). Switch off the computer and try the
    > > PCI Wireless in an other slot, make sure that it does not share an IRQ
    > > with the Graphic card.
    > >
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > <> wrote in message

    > >> Dells can be a bit finiky, they don't buy bog standard off
    > >> the shelf motherboards, so they are also a pain in the arse
    > >> a few years down the line if you wan't a BIOS update.
    > >> Try a download manager with a resume facility, it should
    > >> get the file in the end.

    I had no problem d/l the file using the Netgear web interface (at
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102828.asp). And the filename isn't
    "setup.exe" it's wg311v3_v1_1_setup.exe (but maybe you were just saving
    keystrokes :) ).

    Do you have a marginal connection to your ISP? Are you trying to go directly to
    the ftp site with GetRight? That may not work -- if you try to access
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/ you get a "permission denied" error.

    Lem, Apr 25, 2006
  7. Hi
    Clean again and try the USB form the dell on the old computer and see if it
    works.
    It does Not work, then there is something systemic wrong with the Old
    computer, and the next step would be to decide whether is Hardware or OS
    related.
    It Works, get another USB Wireless, and enjoy.
    In many cases USB is better for Desktops to begin with (
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard )
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 25, 2006
  8. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    I can't understand how you managed to download the file successfully. I've
    failed at least ten times !!

    I was just saving keystrokes. I know that the file is
    wg311v3_v1_1_setup.exe.

    When I go to the Netgear web interface (at
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102828.asp)
    There is a button for Download. It tells you "Right Click and Save". There
    is no "Save" on the right-click menu but "Save Target as ...". I choose
    that and get the usual small download screen showing pages going back and
    forward and the legend "Getting file information from download.netgear", or
    similar, but after about 15 seconds I always get an error message. "Cannot
    download file. Internet Explorer timed out". I have never seen this error
    message before. I have tried using two different computers. Same result.
    My Internet connection is broadband ADSL, very fast and gives no problems.

    What on earth can be happening ?
    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Hi

    Right clicking and saving on the Big Orange button works at Apr. 25 1:20pm
    EST (download speed 600KB/sec.)

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102828.asp

    In any case when you finally obtain the 1.1 drivers do not be disappointed
    if the New Drivers do not help, it is a jump from v1 to V1.1

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 25, 2006
  10. Stuart Grant

    Lem Guest

    If, despite Jack's comments, you'd still like the current driver I'll send it to
    you -- if both Hotmail and your ISP won't choke on a 9.24 MB attachment.

    Let me know by email at the above address.

    Lem, Apr 26, 2006
  11. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    For the benefit of anyone who has been following this long thread, feel I
    should report that the problem is solved. There is still no explanation of
    why I could not download the new setup file from Netgear but a kind group
    member and also someone from Netgear Support sent me the file by e-mail -
    all 10MB of it.
    I followed the instructions on their web site carefully, step by step and I
    now have the message Connected,Enabled on both computers.
    So I feel it is only right to say that Netgear Support is NOT abysmal,
    although they should not take 13 days to give a first answer, when they
    claim to respond in one business day and I don't know why they answer me in
    German when I write in English to an Ennglish language web site.
    Thanks also to all here who helped.
    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 28, 2006