    Any ideas where I can find very simple help on the net?

    Mojo
    , Aug 24, 2005

  2. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm having a nightmare setting up a wireless lan with a netgear
    > dg834gt router. It must be me. All the reviews suggest I should have
    > been up and running in 20 mins. Six hours and still struggling.
    > Any ideas where I can find very simple help on the net?
    >
    > Mojo

    Here are the links you asked for.

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    There are other links that might help also, but since you didn't say
    what operating system you are running there isn't any point in listing
    lots of XP links.

    If the above doesn't help you, post back with what you are doing and
    what is happening. If you get error messages, tell us the exact wording
    of them.

    Very basically, most routers come with a cd and an ethernet cable. Here
    are some generic steps. This assumes that you have cable or dsl and
    that your Internet connection is currently working.

    1. With the cable/dsl modem still going and connected by ethernet to
    your computer turn on your computer (if not already on). Put the cd in
    the drive. Do not have the router connected or turned on.

    2. Follow the setup instructions on the cd, but usually the software
    will copy over the settings it needs from the modem. If you have the
    kind of dsl that needs a user name and password, the router setup will
    ask you to enter those. Obviously, you'll need to know what they are.

    3. At some point in the setup, the software will tell you to turn off
    the cable/dsl modem (unplug) and connect the ethernet cable that used
    to go from the modem to the computer to the router's WAN port (may be
    labeled "WAN" or "Internet"). You will connect another ethernet cable
    (usually comes with the router) from one of the ports on the router to
    your computer's ethernet port.

    4. Then you usually will be instructed to turn on the modem and after
    its lights are all on, plug in the router. You should see lights for
    the WAN connection and for the one computer now connected.

    5. If you have a third-party firewall in place, allow the new local area
    network (lan) as trusted. It is good to use an IP range, which will
    look something like 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. The 192.168.1.x comes
    from whatever the router is - Linksys routers use that address; Belkin
    routers use 192.168.2.x. Refer to the manual that came with the router.

    6. Depending on your operating system and/or the particular router's
    setup, you may configure the router during setup. Otherwise, you can
    configure the router from within a browser. Refer to the router manual.

    7. You may need to reboot. Follow the setup instructions.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Aug 24, 2005

  3. David T Guest

    Have you tried to call tech support...free call for 90 days

    David T, Aug 25, 2005