Netgear FWG11vPv2, can't get WPA / WPA2 to work

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ChrisPC, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. ChrisPC

    ChrisPC Guest

    I also posted this to alt.internet.wireless and apologize if you are
    seeing this more than once.

    I'm trying to setup either WPA or (preferably) WPA2 on a Netgear
    FWG11Pv2, and am having no luck. I have done all of the following:

    a. upgraded the firmware to V1.2_04NA

    b. tried WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK, and both work

    c. confirmed that the RADIUS server (IAS on Windows Server 2003 R2
    Ent.) does work

    d. confirmed that traffic, including RADIUS exchanges (I used a utility
    called NTRadPing to test this), can get from the client to the
    AP to
    the server and back (when the FWG11Pv2 and client are using
    WPA2-PSK)

    e. read and reread the usless instructions in the Netgear
    reference manual for the FWG11Pv2 (dated May 2005)

    When I configure the FWG11vP2 for either WPA or WPA2 (Enterprise) and
    try to connect, it starts OK, the signal is strong, and my WinXP Pro
    SP2 laptop prompts me for credentials (Windows Zero Config is set to
    NOT use Windows credentials), but I am never authenticated and let onto
    the network. I checked the system log in Event Viewer on the server,
    but nothing from IAS appears there--no errors, nothing. I know this
    RADIUS server is working; I'm using it right now with an old, flaky
    Cisco 1120 AP with WPA.

    It looks as though the FWG11Pv2 simply isn't passing any RADIUS
    packets to the RADIUS server. Any suggestions???? Thanks.

    Christopher Chalfant
    MCSE: Security, MCDBA
    ChrisPC, Sep 22, 2006