    not as the BPlogin client does not fail if I connect direct to modem.

    Jim McCardle

    PS how do I re-install IE6 into XP-PRO-SP2

    J-McC, Jul 5, 2005

  2. J-McC

    fred-bloggs Guest

    (J-McC) wrote in news:42ca6202.35753078@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > I normally use a Netgear FR114P prosafe firewall router and I think I
    > may have stuffed up a setting as I am not getting the heartbeat signal
    > to my P/c. I have set port 5050 to pass through, or I think I have!
    >
    > I Unplugged the router to try and find where I was losing this signal
    > incase zonealarm are XP-SP2 firewall were intercepting it, They were
    > not as the BPlogin client does not fail if I connect direct to modem.

    Hi Jim,
    Gonna check your router configuration. 3 steps

    Step 1 - reserve an address for the PC running the BPlogin program.

    Maintenance ->Attached devices
    Copy the MAC address of the PC you are using to login to BP

    Advanced Config -> LAN IP setup
    LAN IP 192.168.0.1
    DHCP server enabled.
    Start 192.168.0.2
    End 192.168.0.10
    Reserved IP ->ADD
    IP address 192.168.0.100 (outside the dhcp range)
    MAC - insert the address you copied from attached devices.

    Step 2 Add a service definition for the heartbeat.

    Security -> Services
    Add custom service
    Name BP heartbeat
    Type UDP
    Port 5050

    Step 3 add a firewall rule to forward the port to your login PC

    Security -> Rules

    Service BP heartbeat
    Allow always
    Send to LAN server 192.168.0.100
    WAN users - One of the following
    Queensland 61.9.208.13
    New South Wales 61.9.192.13
    Victoria 61.9.128.13
    South Australia 61.9.224.13
    Western Australia 61.9.240.13
    APPLY

    Once you've done those 3 steps you will need to refresh the IP address of
    your PC, either by rebooting or repairing the connection (in control
    panel>network connections>right click on the LAN connection).

    In ZoneAlarm the BPlogin should be allowed to serve to the internet and
    BPlogin should be an exception in the SP2 firewall.

    GL

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Jul 5, 2005

  3. J-McC

    Sunny Guest

    Sunny, Jul 6, 2005
  4. J-McC

    J-McC Guest

    Re: NETGEAR FR114P AND BIGPOND HEARTBEAT SIGNAL & IE6

    Thanks to the two of you who replied. Re the problems with IE6 I did
    all that the MS article told me BUT it refused to accept my original
    win-xp-pro cd or the sp1, which were the cds I originally used. So in
    the best of tradition I thought F**K it and installed a new 200gb hdd
    and reinstalled XP and office 2003. I am glad MS do not make cars, as
    I am sure if they did you would need to replace vehicle if a headlamp
    blew!
    I am going to use a program like Powerquest V2i Protector (now owned
    by Symantec) to make a backup of my working installation. This
    program is magic!. I have used it before and being slack had not
    re-installed but I will in future. It lets you restore your system in
    minutes not days!!!!!!!

    I really am quite pissed off at how a problem with IE6 can really
    stuff up the whole system. So many programs seem to use parts of IE.!
    (J-McC)

    J-McC, Jul 6, 2005
  5. J-McC

    Sunny Guest

    "J-McC" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to the two of you who replied. Re the problems with IE6 I did
    > all that the MS article told me BUT it refused to accept my original
    > win-xp-pro cd or the sp1, which were the cds I originally used. So in
    > the best of tradition I thought F**K it and installed a new 200gb hdd
    > and reinstalled XP and office 2003. I am glad MS do not make cars, as
    > I am sure if they did you would need to replace vehicle if a headlamp
    > blew!

    <snip>
    Repair of IE6 when you have SP2 installed but only an older WinXP CD may
    cause some problems.
    Make yourself a new CD :)
    Slipstreaming SP2 :
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49