Netgear FE104?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mama Bear, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    We've been in flux for a few years now, moving around, just
    settled down again.

    I'm currently using an Actiontec GT701 to connect just this one
    computer to Qwest DSL, but we want to fire up the second computer
    for the other room, so I pulled out the Netgear FE104 that we
    used to use to hub into the older Actiontec a few years ago.

    I don't even remember how to set the thing up, so I went to
    netgear's site and was looking for a pdf manual or something, but
    nada there. What's the deal? No manuals for this thing?

    I have no idea where our old manual is for it, much of our stuff
    is still packed and a mess.

    So I tried plugging the ethernet output from my computer into the
    hub, and then the hub into the GT701, figuring it might just work
    that way, but no.

    Then I saw the old Netgear card wrapped in tinfoil in the box. I
    think that one used to go in this computer but Qwest removed it
    when they gave me the old Actiontec.

    So can't I just plug the ethernet card that's in my computer now,
    into the FE104 and that into the 701 and have it work? Or did the
    FE104 require the Netgear card to be in my computer, to work?

    If so, did the FE104 require software to run it too?

    I'm trying to figure if it's worth the bother or if I should just
    look for a gateway like the Actiontec GT704 to replace this 701
    and do it that way, to get both our computers online again.

    Thoughts?

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Mama Bear, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Mama Bear

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Mama Bear <> wrote in news:Xns97A6EFE77C641Mama@
    216.196.97.142:

    > We've been in flux for a few years now, moving around, just
    > settled down again.
    >
    > I'm currently using an Actiontec GT701 to connect just this one
    > computer to Qwest DSL, but we want to fire up the second computer
    > for the other room, so I pulled out the Netgear FE104 that we
    > used to use to hub into the older Actiontec a few years ago.
    >
    > So I tried plugging the ethernet output from my computer into the
    > hub, and then the hub into the GT701, figuring it might just work
    > that way, but no.

    Did you connect to the modem to the uplink port (#4 I believe) of the
    FE104? And select uplink on the button next to the port? Connect any of
    the other ports to the PCs.

    > I'm trying to figure if it's worth the bother or if I should just
    > look for a gateway like the Actiontec GT704 to replace this 701
    > and do it that way, to get both our computers online again.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    The GT704 would do what you require. However *any* functioning switch or
    hub should work with the GT701.

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Apr 16, 2006

  3. Mama Bear

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:34:52 -0500, Mama Bear wrote:

    > So can't I just plug the ethernet card that's in my computer now,
    > into the FE104 and that into the 701 and have it work? Or did the
    > FE104 require the Netgear card to be in my computer, to work?

    Any ethernet card will work. Just make sure you plug the right port from
    the hub into the GT701. Maybe visit this sight for some help:

    http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/gt701/index.html

    Meat Plow, Apr 16, 2006
  4. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "fred-bloggs" <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear <> wrote in
    > news:Xns97A6EFE77C641Mama@ 216.196.97.142:
    >
    >> We've been in flux for a few years now, moving around, just
    >> settled down again.
    >>
    >> I'm currently using an Actiontec GT701 to connect just this
    >> one computer to Qwest DSL, but we want to fire up the second
    >> computer for the other room, so I pulled out the Netgear
    >> FE104 that we used to use to hub into the older Actiontec a
    >> few years ago.
    >>
    >> So I tried plugging the ethernet output from my computer into
    >> the hub, and then the hub into the GT701, figuring it might
    >> just work that way, but no.
    >>

    > Did you connect to the modem to the uplink port (#4 I believe)
    > of the FE104? And select uplink on the button next to the
    > port?

    NOOOO, I didn't recall that, and didn't remember what that port
    was, but now I see the switch next to port 4. Ahah!

    >Connect any of the other ports to the PCs.

    >> I'm trying to figure if it's worth the bother or if I should
    >> just look for a gateway like the Actiontec GT704 to replace
    >> this 701 and do it that way, to get both our computers online
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>

    > The GT704 would do what you require. However *any* functioning
    > switch or hub should work with the GT701.

    Cool, I'll go try it with port 4 the right way now. Thanks!

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Mama Bear, Apr 16, 2006
  5. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote :

    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:34:52 -0500, Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> So can't I just plug the ethernet card that's in my computer
    >> now, into the FE104 and that into the 701 and have it work?
    >> Or did the FE104 require the Netgear card to be in my
    >> computer, to work?

    > Any ethernet card will work. Just make sure you plug the right
    > port from the hub into the GT701. Maybe visit this sight for
    > some help:
    >
    > http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/gt701/index.html

    It worked! Thank you guys!!!

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Mama Bear, Apr 16, 2006
  6. Mama Bear

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:33:45 -0500, Mama Bear wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:34:52 -0500, Mama Bear wrote:
    >>
    >>> So can't I just plug the ethernet card that's in my computer
    >>> now, into the FE104 and that into the 701 and have it work?
    >>> Or did the FE104 require the Netgear card to be in my
    >>> computer, to work?

    >> Any ethernet card will work. Just make sure you plug the right
    >> port from the hub into the GT701. Maybe visit this sight for
    >> some help:
    >>
    >> http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/gt701/index.html
    >>

    > It worked! Thank you guys!!!

    Yer welcome !