    the computer on standby for a while, come back and try to connect to the
    internet. Only restarting the computer seems to solve it.

    Any ideas?

    Maxwell Hammer, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Maxwell Hammer

    Malke Guest

    Maxwell Hammer wrote:

    > I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless
    > router and am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to the
    > internet. The connection speed to the router seems fine, but when I
    > start IE or Opera it's just not sending or receiving any data. This
    > happens often when I've left the computer on standby for a while, come
    > back and try to connect to the internet. Only restarting the computer
    > seems to solve it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    If you have XP, go to the adapter's Properties (in Control
    Panel>System>Device Manager) and look for a Power Management tab.
    Uncheck the box allowing Windows to turn off the device when not in
    use.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Thanks, but "Power Save Mode" is set to "Disabled". Any other ideas?

    Bruce

    Maxwell Hammer, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Maxwell Hammer

    Malke Guest

    Maxwell Hammer wrote:

    > Thanks, but "Power Save Mode" is set to "Disabled". Any other ideas?
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >> Maxwell Hammer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless
    >>> router and am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to
    >>> the internet. The connection speed to the router seems fine, but
    >>> when I start IE or Opera it's just not sending or receiving any
    >>> data. This happens often when I've left the computer on standby for
    >>> a while, come back and try to connect to the internet. Only
    >>> restarting the computer seems to solve it.

    Things to check:

    1. Updates to firmware on the router from Netgear
    2. Updates to drivers on the wireless adapter.
    3. I'm not familiar with Virgin.net broadband - do they have any router
    configuration how-to's on their website? Usually you don't have to do
    anything special when you connect a router to your cable/dsl modem, but
    it wouldn't hurt to check.
    4. Is the cable/dsl modem connection good? Do you have a wired computer
    connected to the router? Does it lose its connectivity also? If so,
    perhaps the problem is with the modem or the router. Connect wired
    directly to the modem - is connectivity good? If not, the modem should
    be replaced. If the modem is fine, then if the wired connectivity to
    the router is spotty, perhaps the router is bad.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 31, 2005
  5. I'll check all these things. I have used Xbox live through a wired
    connection and haven't noticed it losing connectivity. Mind you, I have
    never lost connectivity on the wireless connection when I'm ALREADY
    connected to the internet. It is only when I have put the computer into
    standby mode and then started it up again that I'm unable to connect to the
    internet. As I said, a full restart always solves the problem.

    Perhaps I should also have pointed out that I have a USB wireless network
    adapter attached to my PC. Could this be the route of the problem?

    Maxwell Hammer, Feb 1, 2005
  6. Maxwell Hammer

    Malke Guest

    Maxwell Hammer wrote:

    > I'll check all these things. I have used Xbox live through a wired
    > connection and haven't noticed it losing connectivity. Mind you, I
    > have never lost connectivity on the wireless connection when I'm
    > ALREADY connected to the internet. It is only when I have put the
    > computer into standby mode and then started it up again that I'm
    > unable to connect to the internet. As I said, a full restart always
    > solves the problem.
    >
    > Perhaps I should also have pointed out that I have a USB wireless
    > network adapter attached to my PC. Could this be the route of the
    > problem?

    Quite possibly. It seems that your computer shuts off the USB connection
    when going into standby. This isn't my area of expertise, so I'm not
    sure why it would do that. Hopefully someone who knows the answer will
    come along. Of course, you could stop the computer from going into
    standby as a workaround.

    I'm sorry that I wasn't able to answer your question.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 1, 2005
  7. Sorry for bringing this up again, just hoping someone can enlighten me.

    My problem seems to be whenever I leave the computer on (or in standby) for
    a long time and come back to it and try to connect to the internet via my
    wireless router (Netgear DG834G). It is seeing a network connection but it
    is not finding the internet.

    I think the problem is in trying to acquire a new IP address. I think I am
    right in thinking that my computer needs to do this each time it connects to
    Virgin broadband. Anyway, it is only able to do so when I restart the
    computer, and sometimes only after a couple of restarts.

    Is there any logical reason for this? Could there be, for example, a setting
    on my router which throws it into standby if it's on the same IP address for
    a long time? Or could it be that Virgin is updating the IP address after a
    while, but my router/computer is unaware of this happening?

    Cheers.

    Maxwell Hammer, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Maxwell Hammer

    Aaron PAlmer

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Netgear DG834G Setup issues / Problems

    Hi im using the DG834G as well also with Virgin.net but im having problems completing the setup process after the setup wizard says that it is activating my network the setup close's and when i try to access the router via entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of IE it displays an error message stating that the system authentication has failed! any suggestions?

    thanks

    Aaron PAlmer, Sep 13, 2006