Netgear access point WPN802v2 not found by browser

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by J David Ellis, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. The newly installed AP (access point) is connected to a
    router and the AP works as expected. But when I try to log
    into 192.168.0.231 the browsers (IE and Firefox) cannot find
    the AP. Pinging the AP returns timeouts.

    I've tried logging into the AP from the wireless-connected
    computer and the ethernet-connected computer without
    success. I've disabled firewalls. I've re-booted the AP and
    reset it to factory defaults.

    The AP is remarkably easy to set up for unsecured operation,
    but I want to use WPA security.

    I've found TrendMicro/Netgear tech support cannot be reached
    by phone or e-mail after half an hour of doping out their
    arcane web sites and successfully registering the product.
    They e-mailed me a user ID and password which lead to
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101460.asp. The
    phone number supplied at that URL, 1-888-638-4327, triggers
    an unintelligible recording.

    Any suggestions on how to log into the AP default access number?

    --David
    J David Ellis, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Hi

    It is hard to give you a direct answer since your description of what works
    and what is not working is confusing.

    Can you use the Wireless connection and surf the Internet without the
    security measures On? I.e the problem is only working with security?

    You indicated that the AP is connected to a Router.

    Did you make sure that the core IP of the AP is on the same subnet as the
    Router, and that the AP acts as a transparent Bridge, so that the Wireless
    computer can get an IP from the Router's DHCP?

    Netgear has an extensive suppot site may be you can find some help there as
    well.

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN802v2.asp

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 18, 2006

  3. Sorry about the poorly constructed complaint. I have little
    experience in this area.

    Yes. I can surf the net using the wireless connection. Since
    Unable to log on to the AP, I cannot set any security.

    The router address is 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask is
    255.255.255.0. The AP address is 192.168.0.231. Is the third
    field not being identical in the two IP addresses a problem,
    given this subnet mask?

    According to the manual the AP's DHCP defaults to off. The
    wireless computer is getting an IP address, presumably from
    the router.

    One interesting condition: I can ping the router
    successfully but http://192.168.1.1 yields a browser
    timeout. Is the inability to log onto both the router and
    the AP a clue?

    I have spent a lot of time composing a variety of search
    strings for the support knowledge base at
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN802v2.asp without
    success. I've also searched the downloaded product manual.
    I've read all the literature that came with the AP.

    Not a hint found at any of these sources. I'm stumped.

    --David

    J David Ellis, Nov 18, 2006
  4. J David Ellis

    David Hettel Guest

    Yes you are right, the net mask is preventing you from connecting. Basically
    the WPN802v2 is in a different LAN than the rest of your network and the
    WPN802v2 doesn't know how to talk to your network. You are going to need to
    disconnect the WPN802v2 from your router then change the router's DHCP
    server address to 192.168.0.1 then reconnect the WPN802v2 to the router.
    Then reconnect to the access point. Your computer must be in the same
    192.168.0.xxx IP space as the access point to connect to it. I would suggest
    then changing the access point to 192.168.1.231 and then the router back to
    192.168.1.1.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 18, 2006
  5. The problem is resolved. Thank you, Mr. Hettel, for
    expanding my networking education. --David

    J David Ellis, Nov 18, 2006
  6. J David Ellis

    David Hettel Guest

    Well I am glad you have it working now :)

    David Hettel, Nov 18, 2006
  7. J David Ellis

    Techiejk

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    David, you must use the ethernet port on your PC. Change the IP settings for the network card to 192.168.0.230 and gateway to 192.168.0.231: enter admin and password and you should be in. I just did this and it works. Let me know how you make out.

    Jim
    Techiejk, Feb 26, 2011