    k Guest

    Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
    regulr rentals?

    k, Oct 30, 2005

  2. k

    Biz Guest

    "k" <> wrote in message news:Xns96FF3F672E7Ak@207.217.125.201...
    > Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
    > regulr rentals?

    Yes it is your imagination...

    Biz, Oct 30, 2005

  3. k

    Guest

    k wrote:
    > Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
    > regulr rentals?

    The process of authoring a DVD movie is quite involved and expensive.
    Netflix invests a lot of money into having new inferior masters created
    to use instead of the widely available standard masters. Once the
    master has been made (called a "glass master"), production costs to
    create disks for consumers to use is relatively the same, regardless of
    the quality of the master. This is why Netflix rental costs are so
    high, because they are going to the trouble of re-encoding movies for
    no reason.

    "We could just use the high quality versions that are already there,"
    said a high-ranking Netflix executive, "but instead we waste a lot of
    resourses to have new versions made just for us. In this way, we can
    provide inferior product for higher prices. We could be more
    competitive and efficient, and save money for the customer while
    increasing our profits, but we do it this way instead. No one really
    notices (except the people with active imaginations)."

    , Oct 30, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > k wrote:
    >
    >>Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
    >>regulr rentals?

    > The process of authoring a DVD movie is quite involved and expensive.
    > Netflix invests a lot of money into having new inferior masters created
    > to use instead of the widely available standard masters. Once the
    > master has been made (called a "glass master"), production costs to
    > create disks for consumers to use is relatively the same, regardless of
    > the quality of the master. This is why Netflix rental costs are so
    > high, because they are going to the trouble of re-encoding movies for
    > no reason.
    >
    > "We could just use the high quality versions that are already there,"
    > said a high-ranking Netflix executive, "but instead we waste a lot of
    > resourses to have new versions made just for us. In this way, we can
    > provide inferior product for higher prices. We could be more
    > competitive and efficient, and save money for the customer while
    > increasing our profits, but we do it this way instead. No one really
    > notices (except the people with active imaginations)."

    All sarcasm aside, does anyone know the rationale for Netflix having
    specific versions of some DVDs made specially for it?

    BB

    Comcast Newsgroup, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Comcast Newsgroup wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> k wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
    >>> regulr rentals?

    >> "We could just use the high quality versions that are already there,"
    >> said a high-ranking Netflix executive, "but instead we waste a lot of
    >> resourses to have new versions made just for us. In this way, we can
    >> provide inferior product for higher prices. We could be more
    >> competitive and efficient, and save money for the customer while
    >> increasing our profits, but we do it this way instead. No one really
    >> notices (except the people with active imaginations)."

    > All sarcasm aside, does anyone know the rationale for Netflix having
    > specific versions of some DVDs made specially for it?

    Most of the conspiracizing was spun out of the real fact that Netflix
    recommissions two-sided Warner TV-boxset disks in one-sided rental form,
    to reduce the risk of confused-customer scratching by half--
    Also, some rare small-company titles (eg. Anchor Bay) will recommission
    special rental-only's for titles that Netflix missed the first time around.

    Any other conditions of "exclusive" Netflix versions come under said
    auspices of warrior-fanboy imaginations.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 30, 2005