Netflix Winning Battle Against Goliath Rivals

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    http://us.imdb.com/news/sb/#film3

    Netflix Winning Battle Against Goliath Rivals

    Despite intense competition from the likes of Blockbuster and Wal-Mart,
    Netflix, the online DVD rental outfit, nearly doubled its revenue in 2004
    over 2003 to $506.2 million from $272.2 million. Moreover, CEO Reed
    Hastings said during a conference call, the company achieved its lowest
    "churn" -- the percentage of subscribers who drop the service each month
    -- in the fourth quarter, when it was experiencing its toughest
    competition. As a price war between the top rivals forced Netflix to
    reduce its fees substantially, analysts had warned that any increase in
    overall revenue would likely be achieved at the cost of profitability.
    However, Netflix reported that fourth-quarter net had risen to $4.8
    million from $2.3 million during the comparable quarter a year ago. "2004
    was a spectacular year for Netflix," Hastings said.

    --
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine."

    Now playing: "Demons & Wizards - Poor Man's Crusade"

    Tarkus, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Tarkus wrote:

    > http://us.imdb.com/news/sb/#film3
    >
    > Netflix Winning Battle Against Goliath Rivals
    >
    > Despite intense competition from the likes of Blockbuster and Wal-Mart,
    > Netflix, the online DVD rental outfit, nearly doubled its revenue in 2004
    > over 2003 to $506.2 million from $272.2 million.

    So, "Goliath" was a big dumb guy who'd been in the army one week, who
    knew that you were supposed to HOLD a sword but didn't know quite what
    it was used for, didn't have any iron for swords but could make neat
    things out of rocks, and wasn't aware that an army consisted of more
    than *one* soldier fighting?

    Derek Janssen (THAT'S an odd Biblical interpretation...)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 27, 2005