    "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
    everything goes dead wrong.".

    Bootstrap Bill, May 28, 2004

  2. Bootstrap Bill

    JWB Guest

    "Bootstrap Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:Duvtc.20653$...
    > Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
    > two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

    Netflix,
    > but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
    > around for mail.
    >
    > Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?
    > --
    > "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
    > But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
    > everything goes dead wrong.".

    Not enough selection. I find I get very bored with their selection quickly.
    It's worthwhile if you have the summer off or something and want to do it
    for two months.

    JWB, May 28, 2004

  3. I just got it today. I thought about it vs Netflix and I agree that Netflix
    has about 5 times the movies that BB does but as you mentioned, BB is mch
    quicker. I rented two movies this morning, returned them and got two more
    just now. Netflix does not have that kind of turn around. I plan on keeping
    the service just for 1 month and renting all the movies I want to see in
    their stock. I will then cancel it as there just are not enough new movies
    coming out that I want to see. I'm sure there are many families that rent
    more then 7-8 movies a week and for them it's a great deal.

    I must say... it was also pretty fun taking two movies up to the counter,
    having $8 show up on the register and not having to pay a cent :)

    Todd Copeland, May 28, 2004
  4. Bootstrap Bill

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <cyvtc.144883$>, JWB
    <> wrote:

    > "Bootstrap Bill" <> wrote in message
    > > Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
    > > two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

    > Netflix,
    > > but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
    > > around for mail.
    > >
    > > Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?
    > > --
    > > "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
    > > But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
    > > everything goes dead wrong.".

    > Not enough selection. I find I get very bored with their selection quickly.
    > It's worthwhile if you have the summer off or something and want to do it
    > for two months.

    Very true, but it's a good deal for that short time.

    BTW, is there any mailorder rental site that just rents by the disk,
    instead of having a subscription?

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 28, 2004
  5. Bootstrap Bill

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Duvtc.20653$>,
    "Bootstrap Bill" <> wrote:

    > Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
    > two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than Netflix,
    > but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
    > around for mail.
    >
    > Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?

    It's not exactly a new service. They've had it here in Fort Collins, CO
    for over almost 2 years now as we were a test market. Overall, it's a
    better deal than Netflix as there is zero turn around time. The only
    real downside compared to Netflix is the limited selection of titles.
    Want to rent the new Monster Club DVD? You can forget about it because
    no Blockbuster's even stock it(at least not yet). However if all you
    want is the new top 30 Hollywood junk, it's perfect for you. It's also
    fun to go in there every night and laugh at the VHS bottom feeders that
    frequent their stores. :)
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, May 28, 2004
  6. Bootstrap Bill

    ky Guest

    Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    ky, May 28, 2004
  7. Bootstrap Bill

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, ky
    <> wrote:

    > Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    > movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    > has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    That's going to depend on location, isn't it? Locally they're both
    about the same, size wise, although HV has cut into their video floor
    space with those video game mini-stores.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 28, 2004
  8. Bootstrap Bill

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    > Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
    > two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

    Netflix,
    > but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
    > around for mail.

    Considering Netflix is raising prices June 15, I'm going to give the
    Blockbuster Movie Pass a try. I'll most likely flip-flop between the two...
    Netflix for those movies Blockbuster doesn't, and won't ever have, and
    Blockbuster for newer releases.

    My switching won't be motived strictly by price, but rather because the
    turn-around time with Netflix has been gradually creeping upward. Right now,
    I'm waiting for replacements for movies returned (dropped in the mailbox) on
    Thursday, May 20th. According to Netflix, the replacements are scheduled to
    be delivered on Saturday, May 29th. If they aren't delivered on schedule,
    I'll have to wait until Tuesday's delivery!

    Joe Kaffe, May 28, 2004
  9. Bootstrap Bill

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    "ky" <> wrote in message
    > Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    > movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    > has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    You must be in a test maket. I just called Hollywood Video and they have no
    such program in Las Vegas... wish they did. With Blockbuster Movie Pass in
    effect here as of this week, I'd expect Hollywood Video to follow suit soon,
    or suffer loss of maket share.

    Joe Kaffe, May 28, 2004
  10. "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote in message

    > "ky" <> wrote in message
    > > Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    > > movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    > > has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    > You must be in a test maket. I just called Hollywood Video and they have

    no
    > such program in Las Vegas... wish they did. With Blockbuster Movie Pass in
    > effect here as of this week, I'd expect Hollywood Video to follow suit

    soon,
    > or suffer loss of maket share.

    I'm in Huntington Beach, California. The local Hollywood Video doesn't have
    it.

    Has there been any talk about a possible broadband service where you can
    watch all the movies you want online for one price?

    Bootstrap Bill, May 28, 2004
  11. Bootstrap Bill

    Biz Guest

    > Has there been any talk about a possible broadband service where you can
    > watch all the movies you want online for one price?

    www.cinemanow.com

    is program along those lines

    Biz, May 28, 2004
  12. "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Bootstrap Bill" <> wrote in message
    > > Has there been any talk about a possible broadband service where you can
    > > watch all the movies you want online for one price?
    > >

    > www.cinemanow.com
    >
    > is program along those lines

    It looks like Pay Per View, not an "all you can eat" service.

    Bootstrap Bill, May 28, 2004
  13. >Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    >movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    >has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    not really. both chains are aimed at people that want to get movies everyone's
    heard of.

    Vlvetmorning98, May 29, 2004
  14. Bootstrap Bill

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:

    > >Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    > >movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    > >has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    > not really. both chains are aimed at people that want to get movies everyone's
    > heard of.

    And those they may not of. The BB next to work has been getting in
    quite a few Japanese and HK films, which while I know they're now
    "cool" is a fun change. And, like US films, only a few of these imports
    are good :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 29, 2004
  15. On 29 May 2004 19:10:27 GMT, (Vlvetmorning98)
    wrote:

    >>Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    >>movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    >>has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    >not really. both chains are aimed at people that want to get movies everyone's
    >heard of.

    Well, for that matter, so does Netflix. The fact remains, however,
    that Hollywood Video has a much larger selection of titles than
    Blockbuster. At least in my neck of the woods, anyway.

    Tranquility Base, May 29, 2004
  16. Bootstrap Bill

    ky Guest

    I am here in Oakland, CA. I bought the Hollywood Video pass for about
    1 month and that was in February, and I asked the people who work
    there and they said this pass program is a permanent program. I will
    be back to them in about a couple of month.

    ky, Jun 1, 2004
  17. Bootstrap Bill

    Art Guest

    On 28 May 2004 11:12:30 -0700, (ky) wrote:
    >Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
    >movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
    >has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

    Where is this Hollywood Video? I called 2 near me and they said they
    have no such plans for a DVD movies pass and don't know of any coming
    down the road. However, they had a plan for games which doesn't help
    me because I don't have PS2 or Xbox.

    Blockbusters in my area have the monthly rental pass, but as others
    have said their selection is limited to the most popular new releases.
    With so many people with the rental pass, the few old catalog titles
    they have are usually checked out and eventually get worn out and
    destroyed. BB does not seem to replace destroyed catalog titles, so
    after a couple years any place that has the monthly pass will
    typically only have the crappiest catalog titles left. Sometimes I
    joke there should be a sign at BB saying "If it was released more than
    a year ago, as far as we're concerned it doesn't exist". Obviously
    that's an exaggeration, but it seems closer to the truth than it
    should be.

    Art, Jun 15, 2004