    1. Do these three have regional warehouses? Anything around Texas?

    2. What is the turn around time now?

    3. Any of the three worth a damn?

    rg, Jan 27, 2005

  2. rg

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <YkXJd.6339$>, "rg" <> wrote:

    > I'm cancelling my Blockbuster movie pass. Since BB started no fees most of
    > the recent movies are never in and BB stores, at least here, don't have many
    > old movies that are interesting.
    >
    > I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart several months
    > ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3 years ago,
    > they got to where it was several days after they received a movie before
    > they mailed the next one. Everything they mailed came from the West Coast
    > and I live in Texas. I was lucky to get four a month. I dropped them also.

    I'd give Blockbuster a shot. They're the cheapest at only $14.95 a month
    for the 3 out at a time plan and they also give you 2 free rental
    coupons a month to use in their brick & mortar stores. My mother
    recently dumped Netflix for Blockbuster and has had a positive
    experience with them thus far. They have an excellent selection with
    over 30,000 titles and the turn-around time is faster than Netflix.

    > My questions:
    >
    > 1. Do these three have regional warehouses? Anything around Texas?

    All of them do. The speed depends on where in Texas you are exactly, but
    there are many regional warehouses in Texas, especially for Netflix and
    Blockbuster. Blockbuster is actually based out of Texas.

    > 2. What is the turn around time now?

    2-3 days for Blockbuster. 4-5 days for Netflix. In these parts anyway.

    > 3. Any of the three worth a damn?

    I'd stay away from Wal-Mart at all costs. Apparently their selection is
    shit and their turn-around time is the worst of the bunch. Since you
    already tried Netflix and weren't that impressed, you should go with
    Blockbuster. You'll probably be happy with their selection and the
    service is more than good enough for the extremely low price.

    Black Locust, Jan 27, 2005

  3. rg

    Phil R. Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:00 -0600, "rg" <> wrote:

    >I'm cancelling my Blockbuster movie pass. Since BB started no fees most of
    >the recent movies are never in and BB stores, at least here, don't have many
    >old movies that are interesting.
    >
    >I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart several months
    >ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3 years ago,
    >they got to where it was several days after they received a movie before
    >they mailed the next one. Everything they mailed came from the West Coast
    >and I live in Texas. I was lucky to get four a month. I dropped them also.
    >
    >My questions:
    >
    >1. Do these three have regional warehouses? Anything around Texas?

    Netflix:

    Atlanta, GA
    Birmingham, AL
    Boston, MA
    Chattanooga, TN
    Chicago, IL
    Cleveland, OH
    Dallas, TX
    Denver, CO
    Detroit, MI
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Greensboro, NC
    Houston, TX
    Lakeland, FL
    Los Angeles, CA
    Minneapolis, MN
    New York, NY
    Newark, NJ
    Philadelphia, PA
    Phoenix, AZ
    Portland, OR
    Richmond, VA
    Rochester, NY
    Saint Louis, MO
    San Jose, CA
    Seattle, WA
    Stamford, CT
    Tampa, Fl
    Washington, DC

    Blockbuster Online:

    Charlotte, NC
    Dallas, TX
    Denver, CO
    Lansing, MI
    Miami, FL
    Minneapolis, MN
    Flushing, NY
    Sacramento, CA
    Santa Ana, CA
    Seattle, WA

    >2. What is the turn around time now?

    Netflix: Pretty quick.

    They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship on
    Tuesday/Wednesday then you get it on Thursday/Friday. Normally.
    You pay 17.99

    Blockbuster Online: Good.

    They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship by
    Wednesday/Thursday, then you get it by Mon/Tuesday. A little slower.
    You pay 14.98.

    >3. Any of the three worth a damn?

    I'd go with Netflix. Best bet.

    I'm using both right now. Comparing the service.

    I know nothing about Walmart's services. And they're the cheapest.

    --Phil

    Phil R., Jan 27, 2005
  4. rg

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/26/2005 6:28:15 PM, Phil R. wrote:

    > Netflix:
    >
    > Atlanta, GA
    > Birmingham, AL
    > Boston, MA
    > Chattanooga, TN
    > Chicago, IL
    > Cleveland, OH
    > Dallas, TX
    > Denver, CO
    > Detroit, MI
    > Fort Lauderdale, FL
    > Greensboro, NC
    > Houston, TX
    > Lakeland, FL
    > Los Angeles, CA
    > Minneapolis, MN
    > New York, NY
    > Newark, NJ
    > Philadelphia, PA
    > Phoenix, AZ
    > Portland, OR
    > Richmond, VA
    > Rochester, NY
    > Saint Louis, MO
    > San Jose, CA
    > Seattle, WA
    > Stamford, CT
    > Tampa, Fl
    > Washington, DC

    They also have one in Las Vegas, NV. That's the one I use, and
    turnaround times are generally terrific.
    --
    "I'm not wearing any pants. Film at eleven"

    Now playing: "Demons & Wizards - Poor Man's Crusade"

    Tarkus, Jan 27, 2005
  5. rg

    Guest

    Phil R. wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:00 -0600, "rg" <> wrote:
    >

    > >I'm cancelling my Blockbuster movie pass. Since BB started no fees

    most of
    > >the recent movies are never in and BB stores, at least here, don't

    have many
    > >old movies that are interesting.
    > >
    > >I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart several

    months
    > >ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3

    years ago,
    > >they got to where it was several days after they received a movie

    before
    > >they mailed the next one. Everything they mailed came from the West

    Coast
    > >and I live in Texas. I was lucky to get four a month. I dropped them

    also.

    > >My questions:
    > >
    > >1. Do these three have regional warehouses? Anything around Texas?

    > Netflix:
    >
    > Atlanta, GA
    > Birmingham, AL
    > Boston, MA
    > Chattanooga, TN
    > Chicago, IL
    > Cleveland, OH
    > Dallas, TX
    > Denver, CO
    > Detroit, MI
    > Fort Lauderdale, FL
    > Greensboro, NC
    > Houston, TX
    > Lakeland, FL
    > Los Angeles, CA
    > Minneapolis, MN
    > New York, NY
    > Newark, NJ
    > Philadelphia, PA
    > Phoenix, AZ
    > Portland, OR
    > Richmond, VA
    > Rochester, NY
    > Saint Louis, MO
    > San Jose, CA
    > Seattle, WA
    > Stamford, CT
    > Tampa, Fl
    > Washington, DC

    Add Worcester, MA to the list for Netflix. That's were the ones I get
    come from and go back to. I live in Providence, RI

    > Blockbuster Online:
    >
    > Charlotte, NC
    > Dallas, TX
    > Denver, CO
    > Lansing, MI
    > Miami, FL
    > Minneapolis, MN
    > Flushing, NY
    > Sacramento, CA
    > Santa Ana, CA
    > Seattle, WA
    >

    > >2. What is the turn around time now?

    > Netflix: Pretty quick.
    >
    > They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship on
    > Tuesday/Wednesday then you get it on Thursday/Friday. Normally.
    > You pay 17.99
    >
    > Blockbuster Online: Good.
    >
    > They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship by
    > Wednesday/Thursday, then you get it by Mon/Tuesday. A little slower.
    > You pay 14.98.
    >
    > >3. Any of the three worth a damn?

    > I'd go with Netflix. Best bet.
    >
    > I'm using both right now. Comparing the service.
    >
    > I know nothing about Walmart's services. And they're the cheapest.
    >
    > --Phil

    , Jan 27, 2005
  6. rg wrote:

    > I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart several months
    > ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3 years ago,
    > they got to where it was several days after they received a movie before
    > they mailed the next one.

    Yyyyyep, that sounds like about three years ago...

    (Use the current Netflix, and you'll know why we keep cracking these
    "historical" in-jokes about the pre-'02 Netflix--
    The times, they did a-change rather quickly.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 27, 2005
  7. add Hartford Ct.

    -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, Jan 27, 2005
  8. rg

    Phil R. Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:02:22 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >rg wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart several months
    >> ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3 years ago,
    >> they got to where it was several days after they received a movie before
    >> they mailed the next one.

    >Yyyyyep, that sounds like about three years ago...
    >
    >(Use the current Netflix, and you'll know why we keep cracking these
    >"historical" in-jokes about the pre-'02 Netflix--
    >The times, they did a-change rather quickly.)

    I've ALWAYS experienced QUICK turnarounds with Netflix. I've already
    had to contact Blockbuster for their slow service. I just started a
    month ago.

    --Phil

    Phil R., Jan 27, 2005
  9. rg

    docdude316 Guest

    Phil R. wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:00 -0600, "rg" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >>2. What is the turn around time now?

    > Netflix: Pretty quick.
    >
    > They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship on
    > Tuesday/Wednesday then you get it on Thursday/Friday. Normally.
    > You pay 17.99
    >
    > Blockbuster Online: Good.
    >
    > They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship by
    > Wednesday/Thursday, then you get it by Mon/Tuesday. A little slower.
    > You pay 14.98.

    <snip>

    Actually I've seen some extremely fast service from Blockbuster. They
    seem to have some deal with the Post Office where they can track if
    their movies have been sent back to them or not. They have always mailed
    me the next DVD in my Queue the day of or the day after I've put a movie
    in the mail, even if they haven't received it yet. Also, I don't know
    why but they are letting me have 4 out at a time even though I'm only on
    the 3 for 14.99 plan. I'm not going to argue I just wonder how long
    it'll take them to notice. Finally, I really like the two free rentals
    at the stores. It allows me to rent video games without having to sign
    up for Gamefly, which I don't want to do.

    -Doc

    docdude316, Jan 27, 2005
  10. rg

    Nonymous Guest

    "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <> wrote in message
    > add Hartford Ct.

    Add Pittsburgh, PA. Considering how many of us replied with a "Add This
    City, USA", I'd say the posted list is way out of date.

    Nonymous, Jan 27, 2005
  11. rg

    Zeppo Guest

    Are the Netflix distribution centers actually in the post offices?

    I use Netflix out of Suburban Philly and the Distribution center mailing
    address is the Southeastern PA post office, which is on my way to work. I
    usually would stick returns in their outside drive-up mailbox at 7:30 on my
    way to work. I would get the confirmation e-mail within a few hours. One
    time the confirmation beat me to work (~20 minutes).

    This made me believe either the post office was scanning in the returns for
    Netflix or they had rented space at the post office for their distribution
    center. This post office is a major hub for the USPS in this area. My
    replacement movies always arrive the next day so I that also made me believe
    the operation was tied into the post office.

    Anyone know for sure?

    Jon

    Zeppo, Jan 27, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    "Zeppo" <> wrote:

    > Are the Netflix distribution centers actually in the post offices?

    Yes! Can you believe the government actually made this concession for an
    online video company (!) of all things! Amazing.

    Urra Dipschitt, Jan 27, 2005
  13. rg

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/27/2005 12:28:40 AM, Phil R. wrote:

    > I've ALWAYS experienced QUICK turnarounds with Netflix. I've already
    > had to contact Blockbuster for their slow service. I just started a
    > month ago.

    When are people going to realize that perhaps it's not some conspiracy,
    but dependant on your distribution center? It's only common sense that
    some distribution centers will be run better than others, or that they
    have less delays due to a lower volume.
    --
    "Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade."

    Now playing: "Demons & Wizards - Tear Down The Wall"

    Tarkus, Jan 27, 2005
  14. docdude316 wrote:

    > Phil R. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:00 -0600, "rg" <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> 2. What is the turn around time now?

    >> Netflix: Pretty quick.
    >>
    >> They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship on
    >> Tuesday/Wednesday then you get it on Thursday/Friday. Normally.
    >> You pay 17.99
    >>
    >> Blockbuster Online: Good.
    >>
    >> They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship by
    >> Wednesday/Thursday, then you get it by Mon/Tuesday. A little slower.
    >> You pay 14.98.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Actually I've seen some extremely fast service from Blockbuster.

    Well, that's *one* complaint--
    Now, we just have to deal with the fact that Blockbuster doesn't believe
    we want to rent anything but "Van Helsing"..

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 27, 2005
  15. rg

    Guest

    Yeah, but that was three years ago, before they opened all 30 of their
    distribution centers.

    I recommend Netflix 100%.

    As for whether Netflix has a distribution center in the USPS, I'd say
    no. However, Zeppo said that the Post Office is a "major hub", which
    sounds to me like a "Postal Distribution Center", which is where
    Netflix picks up their mail. The Netflix distribution centers send
    shuttles to the Postal Distribution Centers to pick up the Netflix
    shipments each morning. Because Zeppo dropped off a disc in the
    morning, it probably landed in that morning's pickup, which meant it
    arrived at the Netflix DC on the top of the pile, enabling it to be
    scanned in earlier.

    Becky
    netflixfan dot com

    , Jan 27, 2005
  16. rg

    bmovies Guest

    Phil R. wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:02:22 -0800, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >rg wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart

    several months
    > >> ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3

    years ago,
    > >> they got to where it was several days after they received a movie

    before
    > >> they mailed the next one.

    > >Yyyyyep, that sounds like about three years ago...
    > >
    > >(Use the current Netflix, and you'll know why we keep cracking these

    > >"historical" in-jokes about the pre-'02 Netflix--
    > >The times, they did a-change rather quickly.)
    > >

    > I've ALWAYS experienced QUICK turnarounds with Netflix. I've already
    > had to contact Blockbuster for their slow service. I just started a
    > month ago.
    >
    > --Phil

    Blockbuster is slow as molasses for me too. Slower.

    I joined on Dec. 13. I've gotten only 12 discs from them so far. They
    usually take 5-6 days in shipping to me (They sent me one on Jan 22,
    and I'm STILL waiting for it). The last time I've gotten a movie from
    them was about 11 days ago! I live only about 45 minutes from one of
    their distribution centers!

    One movie in my queue, they told me they shipped. Seven days pass, and
    no movie. So I go onto their website to report it. They give me the
    option of either resending me another copy of the same movie or send me
    the next film in my queue. So I choose for them to resend the same
    movie. They do. Another seven days goes by and still no movie. So I
    same two options. Rather than have then lose yet another copy of the
    same movie, I throw up my hands in frustration and decide for them to
    send me the next film in my queue. Yesterday I get the usual form email
    from BB telling me that they have received the movie (the one that I
    reporting missing twice in a row) back and thanking me for returning
    it. I'm like "WTF???". I never had my hands on the damned movie. I
    NEVER got it in the mail!

    On the other hand. I joined Netflix on Dec. 20 (the same 3 out plan as
    BB). Seven days AFTER I joined BB. And I've gotten 22 movies from them
    so far (average shipping time: 1-2 days). 7 of them in the past 11
    days. (and I'm expecting three more in tommorows mail) The same 11 days
    in which BB has failed to send me ANYTHING.

    bmovies, Jan 27, 2005
  17. wrote:
    > Yeah, but that was three years ago, before they opened all 30 of their
    > distribution centers.
    >
    > I recommend Netflix 100%.
    >
    > As for whether Netflix has a distribution center in the USPS, I'd say
    > no. However, Zeppo said that the Post Office is a "major hub", which
    > sounds to me like a "Postal Distribution Center", which is where
    > Netflix picks up their mail. The Netflix distribution centers send
    > shuttles to the Postal Distribution Centers to pick up the Netflix
    > shipments each morning.

    For the same reason that sweepstakes contests with "P.O. Box..." in
    their address aren't ACTUALLY located in the post office...

    [Restated for the benefit of the sarcasm-impaired, from the previous post.]

    > Because Zeppo dropped off a disc in the
    > morning, it probably landed in that morning's pickup, which meant it
    > arrived at the Netflix DC on the top of the pile, enabling it to be
    > scanned in earlier.

    Meaning...their DC people do actually have to SORT through the darn
    things every Monday.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 28, 2005
  18. rg

    Karl S Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:12:51 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Meaning...their DC people do actually have to SORT through the darn
    >things every Monday.
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    Interesting article explaining how they scan every DVD TWICE a day:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/74/netflix.html

    Karl
    A happy Netflix customer since 1999.

    Karl S, Jan 28, 2005
  19. rg

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Yw9Kd.14$>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Well, that's *one* complaint--
    > Now, we just have to deal with the fact that Blockbuster doesn't believe
    > we want to rent anything but "Van Helsing"..

    The fact that they stock almost as many DVDs as Netflix leads me to
    believe otherwise. They might think that's the case with the Joe
    Sixpacks who regularly rent from their brick & mortar stores, but it
    doesn't appear they feel this way about their online customers. Go ahead
    and do some searching on their website. I suspect there will be very FEW
    titles you will not be able to find.

    Black Locust, Jan 28, 2005
  20. Give then time, you know they have to censor everything!

    -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, Jan 31, 2005