Netflix vs. Blockbuster Online Rentals

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Boo, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Boo

    Boo Guest

    I've been a loyal Netflix customer for about two years now, but I
    decided to try Blockbuster's two week trial because it's $3 less per
    month.

    I have to say that Blockbuster SUCKS. I quickly realized the main
    reason why I love Netflix over the Goliath chain stores like
    Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Individual chain stores have limited
    floor space to store their DVD's, so they only buy movies that will
    appeal to the masses. They've been getting away with this for years, so
    now they own truckloads of mass-marketed Hollywood crap and hold a
    limited supply of documentaries and independent films.

    Netflix has never had to deal with limited floor space because all
    their customers rent from ONE virtual store with a large selection of
    movies. Blockbuster customers, on the other hand, rent from THOUSANDS
    of stores with a limited selection of movies.

    I guess Blockbuster never realized that one of the main reasons people
    rent online is because we can find quality movies that don't exist at
    corporate chain stores like Wal-Mart. If Blockbuster wants to compete,
    they should have every PBS documentary in existence. Instead, they
    launched an online rental service with the exact same strategy as their
    traditional stores. I'll gladly pay Netflix the extra $3 for the better
    selection. They forged an ingenious, new way of renting videos that
    Blockbuster can't even copy correctly.
    Boo, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Boo

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've been a loyal Netflix customer for about two years now, but I
    > decided to try Blockbuster's two week trial because it's $3 less per
    > month.
    >
    > I have to say that Blockbuster SUCKS. I quickly realized the main
    > reason why I love Netflix over the Goliath chain stores like
    > Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Individual chain stores have limited
    > floor space to store their DVD's, so they only buy movies that will
    > appeal to the masses. They've been getting away with this for years, so
    > now they own truckloads of mass-marketed Hollywood crap and hold a
    > limited supply of documentaries and independent films.
    >
    > Netflix has never had to deal with limited floor space because all
    > their customers rent from ONE virtual store with a large selection of
    > movies. Blockbuster customers, on the other hand, rent from THOUSANDS
    > of stores with a limited selection of movies.
    >
    > I guess Blockbuster never realized that one of the main reasons people
    > rent online is because we can find quality movies that don't exist at
    > corporate chain stores like Wal-Mart. If Blockbuster wants to compete,
    > they should have every PBS documentary in existence. Instead, they
    > launched an online rental service with the exact same strategy as their
    > traditional stores. I'll gladly pay Netflix the extra $3 for the better
    > selection. They forged an ingenious, new way of renting videos that
    > Blockbuster can't even copy correctly.

    Thanks, Netflix employee #112.
    theyak, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Boo

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Boo
    <> wrote:

    > I've been a loyal Netflix customer for about two years now, but I
    > decided to try Blockbuster's two week trial because it's $3 less per
    > month.
    >
    > I have to say that Blockbuster SUCKS. I quickly realized the main
    > reason why I love Netflix over the Goliath chain stores like
    > Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Individual chain stores have limited
    > floor space to store their DVD's, so they only buy movies that will
    > appeal to the masses. They've been getting away with this for years, so
    > now they own truckloads of mass-marketed Hollywood crap and hold a
    > limited supply of documentaries and independent films.
    >
    > Netflix has never had to deal with limited floor space because all
    > their customers rent from ONE virtual store with a large selection of
    > movies. Blockbuster customers, on the other hand, rent from THOUSANDS
    > of stores with a limited selection of movies.
    >
    > I guess Blockbuster never realized that one of the main reasons people
    > rent online is because we can find quality movies that don't exist at
    > corporate chain stores like Wal-Mart. If Blockbuster wants to compete,
    > they should have every PBS documentary in existence. Instead, they
    > launched an online rental service with the exact same strategy as their
    > traditional stores. I'll gladly pay Netflix the extra $3 for the better
    > selection. They forged an ingenious, new way of renting videos that
    > Blockbuster can't even copy correctly.

    Which makes it all the more annoying that Netflix is still missing a
    number of movies that are at my local Blockbusters. In a perfect world
    we could rent online for a reasonable per dvd price ($1.50-$2.00) and
    pick whichever service had the title we want. NO one rental place is
    going to have everything, given the number of releases, and I'd like to
    see specialty sites spring up.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Boo

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/24/2005 7:34:11 PM, theyak wrote:

    > Thanks, Netflix employee #112.

    Thanks, Blockbuster employee #223.
    --
    "Wow! Eye of the tiger, mouth of a Teamster."

    Now playing: "Uriah Heep - Rock 'n' Roll Medley"
    Tarkus, Feb 25, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    theyak <> wrote:

    > Thanks, Netflix employee #112.

    Said BallBuster employee #747,218
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 25, 2005
  6. In article <12ud9pnjmw1mc$9.com>,
    Tarkus <> wrote:

    > > Thanks, Netflix employee #112.

    > Thanks, Blockbuster employee #223.

    Damn! You beat me to it! Sorry! :)
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 25, 2005
  7. Boo

    Galley Guest

    I prefer Blockbuster's $14.99 plan with two free in-store game rentals per month
    (a $12.00 value).

    Galley
    Galley, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Boo

    HellRazor Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    >I prefer Blockbuster's $14.99 plan with two free in-store game rentals per
    >month
    > (a $12.00 value).
    >

    > --
    > "I'm not a cool person in real life, but I play one on the Internet"
    > Galley

    Blockbuster is probably ok if your tastes lean more toward the mass market,
    but I'm with the original poster; Netflix has the better selection of films.
    Also I refuse to support a rental chain that uses its muscle to influence
    the content and packaging of the films I watch.
    HellRazor, Feb 25, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    "HellRazor" <> wrote:

    > Blockbuster is probably ok if your tastes lean more toward the mass market,
    > but I'm with the original poster; Netflix has the better selection of films.

    Are you sure about that? A few people posted a while back that they
    joined and this wasn't quite as accurate as it used to be. I plugged in
    a number of not-so-common titles a while ago and I recall that they all
    came up at BB's site.
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 25, 2005
  10. Boo

    Bill Davison Guest

    Excellent analysis and one with which I toally agree. Netflix is the
    cadillac. Blockbuster, a scooter with a squeaky wheel.

    Bill Davison, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Boo

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <12ud9pnjmw1mc$9.com>,
    > Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Thanks, Netflix employee #112.

    > > Thanks, Blockbuster employee #223.

    > Damn! You beat me to it! Sorry! :)

    Nope, I have both a blockbuster and netflix account. I figure with 2,
    that should cut down on any "undesirable customer" problems with either.
    theyak, Feb 25, 2005
  12. Boo

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > "HellRazor" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Blockbuster is probably ok if your tastes lean more toward the mass market,
    > > but I'm with the original poster; Netflix has the better selection of films.

    > Are you sure about that? A few people posted a while back that they
    > joined and this wasn't quite as accurate as it used to be. I plugged in
    > a number of not-so-common titles a while ago and I recall that they all
    > came up at BB's site.

    see?
    theyak, Feb 25, 2005
  13. Boo

    theyak Guest

    In article <240220052255308226%>,
    says...
    > In article <>, Boo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been a loyal Netflix customer for about two years now, but I
    > > decided to try Blockbuster's two week trial because it's $3 less per
    > > month.
    > >
    > > I have to say that Blockbuster SUCKS. I quickly realized the main
    > > reason why I love Netflix over the Goliath chain stores like
    > > Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Individual chain stores have limited
    > > floor space to store their DVD's, so they only buy movies that will
    > > appeal to the masses. They've been getting away with this for years, so
    > > now they own truckloads of mass-marketed Hollywood crap and hold a
    > > limited supply of documentaries and independent films.
    > >
    > > Netflix has never had to deal with limited floor space because all
    > > their customers rent from ONE virtual store with a large selection of
    > > movies. Blockbuster customers, on the other hand, rent from THOUSANDS
    > > of stores with a limited selection of movies.
    > >
    > > I guess Blockbuster never realized that one of the main reasons people
    > > rent online is because we can find quality movies that don't exist at
    > > corporate chain stores like Wal-Mart. If Blockbuster wants to compete,
    > > they should have every PBS documentary in existence. Instead, they
    > > launched an online rental service with the exact same strategy as their
    > > traditional stores. I'll gladly pay Netflix the extra $3 for the better
    > > selection. They forged an ingenious, new way of renting videos that
    > > Blockbuster can't even copy correctly.
    > >

    > Which makes it all the more annoying that Netflix is still missing a
    > number of movies that are at my local Blockbusters. In a perfect world
    > we could rent online for a reasonable per dvd price ($1.50-$2.00) and
    > pick whichever service had the title we want. NO one rental place is
    > going to have everything, given the number of releases, and I'd like to
    > see specialty sites spring up.

    www.greencine.com

    It's all specialty.
    theyak, Feb 25, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    theyak <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > "HellRazor" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Blockbuster is probably ok if your tastes lean more toward the mass
    > > > market,
    > > > but I'm with the original poster; Netflix has the better selection of
    > > > films.

    > > Are you sure about that? A few people posted a while back that they
    > > joined and this wasn't quite as accurate as it used to be. I plugged in
    > > a number of not-so-common titles a while ago and I recall that they all
    > > came up at BB's site.
    > >

    > see?

    See what?
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 25, 2005
  15. Boo

    Anoni Moose Guest

    Reginald Dwight wrote:

    > See what?

    More like "see when". Blockbuster is faster than they
    used to be. Used to take maybe 5 minutes to display a
    page (to my home DSL browser) where Netflix took a few
    seconds. Blockbuster has sped up lately, but still on the
    glacial side. Would drive me crazy using blockbuster
    until they sped things up quite a bit more.

    Mike
    Anoni Moose, Feb 26, 2005
  16. Boo

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > I prefer Blockbuster's $14.99 plan with two free in-store game rentals per

    month
    > (a $12.00 value).

    I'll be switching back to Netflix when this month's BB subscription ends.
    Right now I have 25 titles in my BB queue and 17 of those are listed as
    having a short to long wait. None of those titles are new releases! It's
    particularly irksome when BB ships discs that are part of a series out of
    order. I don't want disc 2 before I've watched disc 1!!!

    The thing that enticed me to switch to BB was the two free in-store rentals,
    but that too has turn into a source of aggravation. I thought it would be
    nice to be able to rent a new release on the spur of the moment, but
    evidently their "No Late Fees" policy is playing hell with thier inventory.
    I wanted to rent "Saw," but the store didn't have a single copy available. I
    looked for two other titles, and they too were unavailable. I left in
    disgust and vowed to move BB to the bottom of my list of places to spend my
    money!
    Joe Kaffe, Feb 26, 2005
  17. Boo

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Joe Kaffe" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I'll be switching back to Netflix when this month's BB subscription ends.
    >Right now I have 25 titles in my BB queue and 17 of those are listed as
    >having a short to long wait. None of those titles are new releases! It's
    >particularly irksome when BB ships discs that are part of a series out of
    >order. I don't want disc 2 before I've watched disc 1!!!

    My understanding from the newsgroup is that Netflix does that too.

    Does anybody know whether BB ships the discs of a two-disc movie
    separately, as Netflix apparently does?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Feb 26, 2005
  18. Boo

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Joe Kaffe" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >The thing that enticed me to switch to BB was the two free in-store rentals,
    >but that too has turn into a source of aggravation. I thought it would be
    >nice to be able to rent a new release on the spur of the moment, but
    >evidently their "No Late Fees" policy is playing hell with thier inventory.

    Gee, that's a surprise ... NOT!

    It was my first reaction after I heard "no late fees" -- the
    invebntory in stores is going to suck even worse.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Feb 26, 2005
  19. Boo

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/25/2005 7:48:54 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

    > "Joe Kaffe" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>I'll be switching back to Netflix when this month's BB subscription ends.
    >>Right now I have 25 titles in my BB queue and 17 of those are listed as
    >>having a short to long wait. None of those titles are new releases! It's
    >>particularly irksome when BB ships discs that are part of a series out of
    >>order. I don't want disc 2 before I've watched disc 1!!!

    > My understanding from the newsgroup is that Netflix does that too.

    Yes, it can happen if they're all listed together in your queue. I get
    around it by leaving all but one near the bottom of my queue, and move
    the first one up near the top. Then just keep moving them as necessary.
    --
    "How can you destroy an army that's already dead?"

    Now playing: "Uriah Heep - I'm Alive"
    Tarkus, Feb 26, 2005
  20. Boo

    Boo Guest

    There was a PBS series that I found on blockbuster, but they only had 3
    of the 7 DVD's in the series. The other 4 didn't even exist in their
    inventory. Who would want to watch #1, #5, and #6 in a series?
    Boo, Feb 26, 2005