NetFlix TurnAround Time: Does This Look Familiar?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by V.S., Dec 3, 2003.

  1. V.S.

    V.S. Guest

    I (re-)opened my account in mid-October of this year. For about the
    first month of my membership, the turnaround time for all 3 movies was
    incredibly fast. Now, it's getting slower & slower... Last year
    (2002), I opened my (first) account, and the same thing happened: For
    the first month, zoom! (very fast turn-around time). After the 5th.
    week or so, it would take NetFlix a lot longer to acknowledge receipt,
    and the turn-around time got slower & slower... I closed the account
    then.

    (1) Does this look familiar to anyone here? If so, does anyone know why
    this happens?

    (2) Other than Walmart.com, any other alternatives to NetFlix? What
    about their turn-around time?

    (3) What's Walmart.com's turn-around time? Better than Netflix's?

    Thanks in advance.

    V.S., Dec 3, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    (V.S.) wrote:

    > (1) Does this look familiar to anyone here?

    Nope. My turnaround is always the same and has been for over a year and
    a half.

    > (3) What's Walmart.com's turn-around time? Better than Netflix's?

    In my case Walmart's turnaround could only be considered better if they
    sent me the new disc on the same day as I sent a disc back to them.
    Seriously. There is no better without resorting to the above scenario.

    Anyone else here remember when NetFlix actually let us do that? That was
    fantastic! I could average something like 20+ movies a month with that
    setup if I was prone to doing nothing but watching movies. :)

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 3, 2003

  3. V.S.

    Dogbert Guest

    I found my best turn-around depends on where I mail them. Normally, there
    are a pair of mail boxes near my house I use. Once I mailed back two movies
    at a post office main branch. Netflix received one movie in a couple of
    days, the second movie showed up over a week later. I mailed one movie at
    the post office near my work in August, and Netflix still hasn't received
    it.

    But, I can mail my movies Saturday near my house, and Monday afternoon
    Netflix has received the movies and is sending the next set. Granted, they
    are in San Jose and I live near Los Angeles, so it is faster than from, say,
    Boston, but as long as I use the mail boxes near my house, my turn around is
    always less than a week from mailing the movies and getting the next set.

    Dogbert, Dec 8, 2003
  4. V.S.

    Moviezzz Guest

    >Granted, they
    >are in San Jose and I live near Los Angeles, so it is faster than from, say,
    >Boston,

    There are different centers around the country. I live on the East Coast and
    the servicing center is an hour away. They normally get the disc and mail out
    the next on the day after I mail them.

    Moviezzz, Dec 9, 2003
  5. V.S.

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    V.S. <> wrote:
    >I (re-)opened my account in mid-October of this year. For about the
    >first month of my membership, the turnaround time for all 3 movies was
    >incredibly fast. Now, it's getting slower & slower... Last year
    >(2002), I opened my (first) account, and the same thing happened: For
    >the first month, zoom! (very fast turn-around time). After the 5th.

    >(1) Does this look familiar to anyone here? If so, does anyone know why
    >this happens?

    Search on google news.

    There was someone who started several different netflix subscriptions and
    posted the numbers of discs he got per month on each of them. IIRC,
    the rates would go down in a month when the _previous_ month he had rented a
    lot.

    The guy had enough data (if it can be trusted) that it wasn't completely
    tinfoil-hat territory.

    Matt Ackeret, Dec 17, 2003
  6. V.S.

    Jamie Town Guest

    (V.S.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I (re-)opened my account in mid-October of this year. For about the
    > first month of my membership, the turnaround time for all 3 movies was
    > incredibly fast. Now, it's getting slower & slower... Last year
    > (2002), I opened my (first) account, and the same thing happened: For
    > the first month, zoom! (very fast turn-around time). After the 5th.
    > week or so, it would take NetFlix a lot longer to acknowledge receipt,
    > and the turn-around time got slower & slower... I closed the account
    > then.
    >
    > (1) Does this look familiar to anyone here? If so, does anyone know why
    > this happens?

    I'm in a similar position, tho it's not bad enough to cause me to
    cancel yet. I've been tracking my netflix shipments very closely
    since opening a new accoutn a few months ago. So far, the norm is 2
    days travel each way. 20-25% of the time, I'll get a shipment in one
    day. I've never seen one checked in by netflix the day after I sent
    it, tho.

    For the most part, this has been pretty regular. However, I've had
    two occasions where a returned disc was not checked in for an extended
    period. Both times, they were checked in on the same day as another
    return shipment. It went something like this both times.

    - 3 DVDs returned.
    - 2 DVDs checked in.
    - 2 DVDs shipped to me.
    - 2 DVDs received.
    - 2 DVDs returned.
    - 3 DVDs checked in.
    - 3 DVDs shipped to me.

    It doesn't seem like much but do that once a month to each customer
    and it adds up to a lot fewer movies shipped. I also had one take
    nearly a week to reach me. It showed up the day I planned to report
    it as missing. I'm hesitant to report anything missing too early
    because of what they did to their customers (including me) back in
    January of 2001.

    Right now, I'm seeing a mass-delay of a set of 3 DVDs. I sent them
    back on Thursday and they should have been received and checked in by
    Saturday. According to the website, they haven't been received yet.
    I'm not sure if it's just a fluke releated to reduced holiday staffing
    (everyone wants to stretch the Xmas holiday to a full week) or if
    they're upping the ante by delaying an entire batch.

    I've also noticed that my queue (231 titles right now) has gone from
    one "long wait" to ten waits of various lengths. None new releases,
    and all have been in my queue for quite a while. That wouldn't be too
    suspicious if I hadn't already seen the A:B comparisons made by people
    who created new accounts and built up queues identical to their
    regular account only to find nearly every title listed as "available
    now" on the new account while a large percentage of the same titles
    were *wait on the regular account. I also had a title go from
    "available now" to "we no longer have this title and will never stock
    it again" the day it hit the top of my queue. So far, this hasn't
    delayed any shipments (well, except for the movie I'll never get to
    see) but I have a "short wait" coming up to the top of the queue. I
    hope it doesn't cause a delay.

    > (2) Other than Walmart.com, any other alternatives to NetFlix? What
    > about their turn-around time?

    www.greencine.com if you want more artsy, tho they do have mainstream
    stuff. They're in san francisco so calculate your delivery time from
    there.

    > (3) What's Walmart.com's turn-around time? Better than Netflix's?

    Never used them.

    As far as Netflix goes, they really pissed me off in 2001 but I've
    decided to go ahead and give them another shot. Right now, I'm on the
    fence. The whole point of using their service is the convenience.
    It's not very convenient if I feel it's necessary to watch them this
    closely all the time. They've had _just_ enough delays to keep me
    suspicious but not enough to throw in the towel again. Yet.

    Jamie

    Jamie Town, Dec 22, 2003
  7. V.S.

    JWB Guest

    > > I (re-)opened my account in mid-October of this year. For about the
    > > first month of my membership, the turnaround time for all 3 movies was
    > > incredibly fast. Now, it's getting slower & slower... Last year
    > > (2002), I opened my (first) account, and the same thing happened: For
    > > the first month, zoom! (very fast turn-around time). After the 5th.
    > > week or so, it would take NetFlix a lot longer to acknowledge receipt,
    > > and the turn-around time got slower & slower... I closed the account
    > > then.
    > >
    > > (1) Does this look familiar to anyone here? If so, does anyone know why
    > > this happens?

    > I'm in a similar position, tho it's not bad enough to cause me to
    > cancel yet. I've been tracking my netflix shipments very closely
    > since opening a new accoutn a few months ago. So far, the norm is 2
    > days travel each way. 20-25% of the time, I'll get a shipment in one
    > day. I've never seen one checked in by netflix the day after I sent
    > it, tho.
    >
    > For the most part, this has been pretty regular. However, I've had
    > two occasions where a returned disc was not checked in for an extended
    > period. Both times, they were checked in on the same day as another
    > return shipment. It went something like this both times.

    This has been happening to me too. I am a returning member as well. When
    they ship disks, I'll get them in one day. I'll usually watch one disc that
    night and return it right away. They seem to sometimes wait until I return
    the other two discs before checking all three in the same day. This is
    sometimes almost a week later. How can a disc that got mailed back on Monday
    get checked in the same day as a disc that got mailed the following Friday?

    *snip*

    > As far as Netflix goes, they really pissed me off in 2001 but I've
    > decided to go ahead and give them another shot. Right now, I'm on the
    > fence. The whole point of using their service is the convenience.
    > It's not very convenient if I feel it's necessary to watch them this
    > closely all the time. They've had _just_ enough delays to keep me
    > suspicious but not enough to throw in the towel again. Yet.

    I feel the exact same way. I want to like them - I really do. I feel they
    are obviously trying to slow down the rental rate of people who watch a lot
    of movies (like people in this group). I remember reading somewhere that the
    average "3 out" netflix customer rents about 6 movies a month. I do at least
    double that, sometimes more, so I realize I'm not helping the bottom line.
    However, I'd much rather have them say "no more than x shipments a week" or
    whatnot than pull this crap.

    JWB

    JWB, Dec 22, 2003
  8. In article <%zsFb.11641$>,
    "JWB" <> wrote:

    > I feel the exact same way. I want to like them - I really do. I feel they
    > are obviously trying to slow down the rental rate of people who watch a lot
    > of movies (like people in this group).

    Not so. I have been able to get something 18-20 discs in a month's time
    and have NEVER had a slowdown. I mail a disc back and it's checked in on
    the next working day and a new disc is generally sent out on the same
    day. YMMV but this "conspiracy theory" type speculation sure seems
    somewhat ridiculous.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 22, 2003
  9. V.S.

    JWB Guest

    "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <%zsFb.11641$>,
    > "JWB" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I feel the exact same way. I want to like them - I really do. I feel

    they
    > > are obviously trying to slow down the rental rate of people who watch a

    lot
    > > of movies (like people in this group).

    > Not so. I have been able to get something 18-20 discs in a month's time
    > and have NEVER had a slowdown. I mail a disc back and it's checked in on
    > the next working day and a new disc is generally sent out on the same
    > day. YMMV but this "conspiracy theory" type speculation sure seems
    > somewhat ridiculous.

    That's the funny thing - there are certainly enough negative posts to
    justify the "conspiracy theory" thing. Too many, with almost the exact same
    story, to just blow off, despite your experience. There's always one or two
    posters like yourself, who rent a lot and have no problems. Might I suggest
    it is random? Or perhaps by region? Distribution center? A certain
    percentage?

    If you google the complaints, you'll see they are overwhelmingly, I mean by
    a HUGE percentage, "customer to netflix" transactions. It seems discs go out
    and get to the customers just fine. It's on the return trip where the odd
    things happen (that's why I never put any stock in postal employees stealing
    them).

    JWB, Dec 22, 2003
  10. V.S.

    Moviezzz Guest

    I'm on the 5 at a time plan and whenever I mail it back, it is usually credited
    and a new one sent out the same day.

    I watch my queue from work and sometimes I've noticed that if they get all five
    back on the same day, they will send 3 out that day and send the other 2 the
    next day. Early in the day it will say "Shipping Today" on some and then
    "Shipping Tomorrow" on others. I don't know if they have a max of only mailing
    3 on the same day or what.

    But last week, they received all 5 of mine back on a Monday and they sent 5 new
    ones that day and I got them all on Tuesday.

    Moviezzz, Dec 22, 2003
  11. V.S.

    Skid Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > If you google the complaints, you'll see they are overwhelmingly, I mean

    by
    > a HUGE percentage, "customer to netflix" transactions. It seems discs go

    out
    > and get to the customers just fine. It's on the return trip where the odd
    > things happen (that's why I never put any stock in postal employees

    stealing
    > them).

    If you google complaints on the U.S. Postal Service, you'll get a fair
    number of hits there, too. This time of year, mail service is not just slow,
    it's downright unreliable.

    I had three discs lost last year -- all in the two weeks before Christmas. I
    had two other discs delivered to my neighbor's house down the street, and
    they were nice enough to bring them to me. One of my lost discs was returned
    to Netflix several months after I reported it missing.

    I usually mail back my rentals from the box at the main post office on my
    way to work. I have never had one go missing. On only four occasions I can
    remember I used a box outside my dry cleaner. Twice those discs failed to
    get back to Netflix.

    I'm not saying Netflix is blameless or their system couldn't stand
    improvement. What I am saying is the postal service has a bad rep all its
    own, and that provides reasonable doubt in cases where people claim Netflix
    deliberately holds up returns to pad profits.

    With all that has been said for and against Netflix, I keep using them
    because the selection is better and they don't steal from me by tacking on
    late fees.

    I finally gave up on Blockbuster altogether after the manager of my local
    store refused to return a late fee for a movie I had returned on the morning
    it was due. She said it didn't matter when I put it in the slot, it only
    counted when the lazy clerk felt like unloading the bin and checking in the
    returns. If he didn't get around to it until after the noon deadline, I had
    to pay for his sloth and her bad attitude.

    Now THAT'S a conspiracy!

    Skid, Dec 22, 2003
  12. V.S.

    Jamie Town Guest

    Reginald Dwight <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <%zsFb.11641$>,
    > "JWB" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I feel the exact same way. I want to like them - I really do. I feel they
    > > are obviously trying to slow down the rental rate of people who watch a lot
    > > of movies (like people in this group).

    > Not so. I have been able to get something 18-20 discs in a month's time
    > and have NEVER had a slowdown. I mail a disc back and it's checked in on
    > the next working day and a new disc is generally sent out on the same
    > day. YMMV but this "conspiracy theory" type speculation sure seems
    > somewhat ridiculous.

    Funny how the people with conspiracy theories have annecdotal evidence
    to support their claims and provide statistical information showing
    both the normal trends and deviation from those trends while the
    people who are satisfied just say "it works great for me" while
    providing nothing to back it up. Take the "pepsi challenge" and track
    all of your shipments for three months. Ship date, receive date,
    returned date, checked-in date. If you don't see any unexplained
    delays, just post your log every time one of us tinfoil hat wackos
    pops up.

    I've rented 28 movies since 10-28. (The last three are shipping
    today.) That's roughly 14 a month. Not bad. However, that's at
    least 3 less than it would have been without delays. Would I have
    noticed the delays if I wasn't watching for them? Probably not. I
    didn't have to _do_ anything to get things moving again other than
    wait. If I wasn't paying attention to every shipment, I don't think
    these occasional burps in the system would have stood out.

    Jamie

    Jamie Town, Dec 22, 2003
  13. V.S.

    JWB Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in message

    > "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > > If you google the complaints, you'll see they are overwhelmingly, I mean

    > by
    > > a HUGE percentage, "customer to netflix" transactions. It seems discs go

    > out
    > > and get to the customers just fine. It's on the return trip where the

    odd
    > > things happen (that's why I never put any stock in postal employees

    > stealing
    > > them).

    > If you google complaints on the U.S. Postal Service, you'll get a fair
    > number of hits there, too. This time of year, mail service is not just

    slow,
    > it's downright unreliable.

    Yes, I agree.

    > I had three discs lost last year -- all in the two weeks before Christmas.

    > had two other discs delivered to my neighbor's house down the street, and
    > they were nice enough to bring them to me. One of my lost discs was

    returned
    > to Netflix several months after I reported it missing.
    >
    > I usually mail back my rentals from the box at the main post office on my
    > way to work. I have never had one go missing. On only four occasions I can
    > remember I used a box outside my dry cleaner. Twice those discs failed to
    > get back to Netflix.

    The funny thing is, it's *always* seems to be on the way back that there's a
    glitch. I (honestly) wonder why?

    > I'm not saying Netflix is blameless or their system couldn't stand
    > improvement. What I am saying is the postal service has a bad rep all its
    > own, and that provides reasonable doubt in cases where people claim

    Netflix
    > deliberately holds up returns to pad profits.

    I think they try to somewhat "slow down" a percentage of heavy renters.
    There was a guy here last year who tracked three new accounts, and his
    findings seemed to confirm this. Obviously not everyone, but in reading the
    posts, it seems more east coast problems than west coast.

    > With all that has been said for and against Netflix, I keep using them
    > because the selection is better and they don't steal from me by tacking on
    > late fees.

    Totally agree. I can live with some slowness or odd check-in's. They are
    still better than blockbuster (as your experience indicates).

    JWB

    JWB, Dec 22, 2003
  14. V.S.

    Moviezzz Guest

    >Take the "pepsi challenge" and track
    >all of your shipments for three months.

    But the thing is, if you don't have a problem, why waste your time doing this?

    The majority of the people who use Netflix are fine with them. If you aren't,
    rather than going through these elaborate record keeping ideas and charts and
    graphs, just cancel and forget about them.

    Moviezzz, Dec 22, 2003
  15. V.S.

    Skid Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > "Skid" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > > > If you google the complaints, you'll see they are overwhelmingly, I

    mean
    > > by
    > > > a HUGE percentage, "customer to netflix" transactions. It seems discs

    go
    > > out
    > > > and get to the customers just fine. It's on the return trip where the

    > odd
    > > > things happen (that's why I never put any stock in postal employees

    > > stealing
    > > > them).

    > > If you google complaints on the U.S. Postal Service, you'll get a fair
    > > number of hits there, too. This time of year, mail service is not just

    > slow,
    > > it's downright unreliable.

    > Yes, I agree.
    >

    > > I had three discs lost last year -- all in the two weeks before

    Christmas.
    > > had two other discs delivered to my neighbor's house down the street,

    and
    > > they were nice enough to bring them to me. One of my lost discs was

    > returned
    > > to Netflix several months after I reported it missing.
    > >
    > > I usually mail back my rentals from the box at the main post office on

    my
    > > way to work. I have never had one go missing. On only four occasions I

    can
    > > remember I used a box outside my dry cleaner. Twice those discs failed

    > > get back to Netflix.

    > The funny thing is, it's *always* seems to be on the way back that there's

    > glitch. I (honestly) wonder why?

    Not true in my case. I've had four times as many discs lost on the way to me
    than on the way back to Netflix. In each case, a substitute carrier was on
    the mail route and on at least two occasions I was able to recover discs
    that were delivered to the wrong house. The only discs lost on the way back
    to Netflix went into the same sidewalk box -- which I no longer use -- on
    different dates. In my experience, at least, mail service is so inconsistent
    that it's hard to establish any pattern suggesting anything but
    incompetence. (My city had the dubious distinction of having the highest
    number of postal complaints and dead letters in the country a couple of
    years ago, and they haven't gotten a lot better since.)

    > > I'm not saying Netflix is blameless or their system couldn't stand
    > > improvement. What I am saying is the postal service has a bad rep all

    its
    > > own, and that provides reasonable doubt in cases where people claim

    > Netflix
    > > deliberately holds up returns to pad profits.

    > I think they try to somewhat "slow down" a percentage of heavy renters.
    > There was a guy here last year who tracked three new accounts, and his
    > findings seemed to confirm this. Obviously not everyone, but in reading

    the
    > posts, it seems more east coast problems than west coast.

    I'm on the East Coast. I have averaged 10-12 DVDs per month for the past
    several months and don't see any such pattern. In fact, Netflix seems to be
    doing a better job on turnaround now than in the first two years I was a
    customer.

    I know I sound like a Netflix shill, but I'm merely relating my own, largely
    positive, experience. Now if I could just get them to stop recycling discs
    too scratched up to play reliably, I'd be a happy camper.

    Skid, Dec 22, 2003
  16. In article <vyuFb.11900$>,
    "JWB" <> wrote:

    > Might I suggest
    > it is random? Or perhaps by region? Distribution center? A certain
    > percentage?

    I think it's the region and distribution center. I don't think it's a
    direct result of Netflix intervention to "slow down" someone. That's
    just ridiculous.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 22, 2003
  17. In article <>,
    (Jamie Town) wrote:

    > Funny how the people with conspiracy theories have annecdotal evidence
    > to support their claims and provide statistical information showing
    > both the normal trends and deviation from those trends while the
    > people who are satisfied just say "it works great for me" while
    > providing nothing to back it up.

    What more do you need than what I wrote? I backed it up.

    > Take the "pepsi challenge" and track
    > all of your shipments for three months.

    I can track all my shipments as far back as you want. The story is
    always the same.

    > Ship date, receive date,

    One day apart usually. One in ten discs are about four days apart.

    > returned date, checked-in date.

    One business day apart. Always.

    I'm thirty minutes from a distribution center. I'm sure that explains
    most of my situation.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 22, 2003
  18. V.S.

    Jamie Town Guest

    ospam (Moviezzz) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >Take the "pepsi challenge" and track
    > >all of your shipments for three months.

    > But the thing is, if you don't have a problem, why waste your time doing this?
    >
    > The majority of the people who use Netflix are fine with them. If you aren't,
    > rather than going through these elaborate record keeping ideas and charts and
    > graphs, just cancel and forget about them.

    My point is that you may not realize you have a problem if you're not
    looking for it. If I wasn't already suspicious of Netflix, I wouldn't
    have bothered with such detailed tracking of orders. If I wasn't
    keeping such detailed notes, I probably wouldn't notice the occasional
    delay. However, Netflix did wrong by me in the past so I decided to
    pay close attenetion to their performance and this is the result.
    Minor delays that are barely noticable but can add up to huge savings
    for Netflix if applied to their entire customer base.

    If you don't care about losing 1 or 2 rentals a month due to delays,
    that's fine. But don't try and belittle people who do take the time
    to expose these trends. If you found out your favorite gas station
    was only giving 0.95 gallons of gas for every 1.0 gallon charged,
    would you just blow it off because you never ran out of gas? Would
    you say it's too small a difference to matter just because 0.05
    gallons seems like such a small amount?

    Let's look at it from another angle. Suppose we tinfoil-hat-wearing
    people are totally wrong about these slowdowns being intentional.
    Right or wrong about the cause, the problems _do_ exist. If
    management at Netflix cares about customer service and their
    reputation in the marketplace, they can use the information we provide
    to address issues as they begin to appear rather than after they've
    become something that customers like you would notice (and care
    about).

    Jamie

    Jamie Town, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Reginald Dwight <> wrote:

    > One business day apart. Always.

    > I'm thirty minutes from a distribution center.

    And the turn around time is more than 61 minutes? Dude, you're being
    ripped off. Down with NetFlix!

    Jake Patterson, Dec 24, 2003
  20. In article <bsanak$3jdq7$>,
    Jake Patterson <> wrote:

    > And the turn around time is more than 61 minutes? Dude, you're being
    > ripped off. Down with NetFlix!

    Jake - you rock! :)

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 24, 2003