    the only thing that is a certainty is that video stores of America
    will be vacant," Hastings said.

    http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#tv2

    ky, Oct 15, 2004

  2. ky wrote:

    > Netflix To Lower Subscription Prices
    > Already confronted by online rental competition from Blockbuster and
    > Wal-Mart, Netflix said on Thursday that it now expects Amazon to enter
    > the fray. "The rumors of Amazon started about two weeks ago, and over
    > the last two weeks, we have been confirming them," CEO Reed Hastings
    > told analysts."

    And given Wal-Mart's hope-springs-eternal fate of being a Netflix
    "rival", I believe the operative advice to Blockbuster, Amazon, and
    other would-be paper-route "contenders" in the online-rental business is
    (in the words of the renowned Mr. Fields) "Line up, suckers!" :)

    > As reported by Video Store magazine, Netflix is
    > responding by dropping its subscription price to $18 per month. "What
    > happens if our competitors match or beat our price?

    (Um...their service will still suck?) ;)

    > If that happens,
    > the only thing that is a certainty is that video stores of America
    > will be vacant," Hastings said.

    Hmm, good point--Let's let Blockbuster crush themselves.

    Derek Janssen (it would be so satisfying to us old-schoolers)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 16, 2004

  3. ky

    Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:41:49 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >ky wrote:
    >
    >> Netflix To Lower Subscription Prices
    >> Already confronted by online rental competition from Blockbuster and
    >> Wal-Mart, Netflix said on Thursday that it now expects Amazon to enter
    >> the fray. "The rumors of Amazon started about two weeks ago, and over
    >> the last two weeks, we have been confirming them," CEO Reed Hastings
    >> told analysts."

    >And given Wal-Mart's hope-springs-eternal fate of being a Netflix
    >"rival", I believe the operative advice to Blockbuster, Amazon, and
    >other would-be paper-route "contenders" in the online-rental business is
    >(in the words of the renowned Mr. Fields) "Line up, suckers!" :)
    >
    >> As reported by Video Store magazine, Netflix is
    >> responding by dropping its subscription price to $18 per month. "What
    >> happens if our competitors match or beat our price?

    >(Um...their service will still suck?) ;)
    >
    >> If that happens,
    >> the only thing that is a certainty is that video stores of America
    >> will be vacant," Hastings said.

    >Hmm, good point--Let's let Blockbuster crush themselves.
    >
    >Derek Janssen (it would be so satisfying to us old-schoolers)

    to undercut Netflix, Blockbuster just dropped it's price to $17.49.
    The price drop should take effect within the next week or two..

    ubertoadie

    , Oct 16, 2004
  4. "ky" <> wrote in message

    <<Netflix To Lower Subscription Prices
    Already confronted by online rental competition from Blockbuster and
    Wal-Mart, Netflix said on Thursday that it now expects Amazon to enter
    the fray. "The rumors of Amazon started about two weeks ago, and over
    the last two weeks, we have been confirming them," CEO Reed Hastings
    told analysts." As reported by Video Store magazine, Netflix is
    responding by dropping its subscription price to $18 per month. "What
    happens if our competitors match or beat our price? If that happens, the
    only thing that is a certainty is that video stores of America will be
    vacant," Hastings said.>>

    http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#tv2

    I find it hard to believe that a 50ยข per month difference would
    influence a person's decision on which Internet DVD rental provider is
    the best. It's all about website, selection and turnaround -- not the
    monthly fee.

    So far, Netflix has the competition beat and the price reduction makes
    them even better -- for now.

    I hope that the quality of Netflix service doesn't suffer as a result of
    the lower fee.

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Interesting.

    At the netflix homepage, they're now advertising a 17.99 monthly
    price.

    When I log in and check my account details, I'm still being billed at
    21.99 a month.

    You don't suppose this lower price could only be for new customers, do
    you?

    Because that would really suck and I imagine a lot of people would
    absolutely drop Netflix then.

    Snaithbert

    Snaithbert Collins, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Even stranger.

    I went back to the Netflix home page and now it says 21.99 again.

    Possibly they gave my computer a cookie or something and now it'll say
    21.99 until I clean my hard drive, etc.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that the only people who get the lower
    rate will be new customers.

    Blockbuster, here I come...

    Snaithbert Collins, Oct 16, 2004
  7. (Snaithbert Collins) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Even stranger.
    >
    > I went back to the Netflix home page and now it says 21.99 again.
    >
    > Possibly they gave my computer a cookie or something and now it'll say
    > 21.99 until I clean my hard drive, etc.
    >
    > I have a sneaking suspicion that the only people who get the lower
    > rate will be new customers.
    >
    > Blockbuster, here I come...

    Just send off an email to customer service asking if my bill will go
    down to that price next month or stay the same. Personally even at
    $21.99 netflix is a bargain compared to other other services
    (satellite dish; cell phone) I subscribe to.

    Joseph Phillips, Oct 17, 2004
  8. ky

    RR Guest

    Joseph Phillips wrote:
    > (Snaithbert Collins) wrote in message
    >> Even stranger.
    >>
    >> I went back to the Netflix home page and now it says 21.99 again.
    >>
    >> Possibly they gave my computer a cookie or something and now it'll
    >> say
    >> 21.99 until I clean my hard drive, etc.
    >>
    >> I have a sneaking suspicion that the only people who get the lower
    >> rate will be new customers.
    >>
    >> Blockbuster, here I come...

    > Just send off an email to customer service asking if my bill will go
    > down to that price next month or stay the same. Personally even at
    > $21.99 netflix is a bargain compared to other other services
    > (satellite dish; cell phone) I subscribe to.

    $21.99 may be a bargain, but it's still a rip-off if you're a long-term
    customer, and they're not giving you the same lower price that they're
    giving new customers. You're one of the people who's kept them in business
    and put them on the map - if they don't acknowledge that, screw 'em. (I know
    I will.)

    --
    RR

    RR, Oct 18, 2004
  9. ky

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, RR
    <> wrote:

    > Joseph Phillips wrote:
    > > (Snaithbert Collins) wrote in message
    > >> Even stranger.
    > >>
    > >> I went back to the Netflix home page and now it says 21.99 again.
    > >>
    > >> Possibly they gave my computer a cookie or something and now it'll
    > >> say
    > >> 21.99 until I clean my hard drive, etc.
    > >>
    > >> I have a sneaking suspicion that the only people who get the lower
    > >> rate will be new customers.
    > >>
    > >> Blockbuster, here I come...

    > > Just send off an email to customer service asking if my bill will go
    > > down to that price next month or stay the same. Personally even at
    > > $21.99 netflix is a bargain compared to other other services
    > > (satellite dish; cell phone) I subscribe to.

    > $21.99 may be a bargain, but it's still a rip-off if you're a long-term
    > customer, and they're not giving you the same lower price that they're
    > giving new customers. You're one of the people who's kept them in business
    > and put them on the map - if they don't acknowledge that, screw 'em. (I know
    > I will.)

    Lots of services offer lower rates to new customers that then increase
    after a year or so. However, if these rates won't go up just quit and
    sign up again.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Invid Fan wrote:
    > In article <>, RR
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Joseph Phillips wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Snaithbert Collins) wrote in message

    >>>Just send off an email to customer service asking if my bill will go
    >>>down to that price next month or stay the same. Personally even at
    >>>$21.99 netflix is a bargain compared to other other services
    >>>(satellite dish; cell phone) I subscribe to.

    >>$21.99 may be a bargain, but it's still a rip-off if you're a long-term
    >>customer, and they're not giving you the same lower price that they're
    >>giving new customers. You're one of the people who's kept them in business
    >>and put them on the map - if they don't acknowledge that, screw 'em. (I know
    >>I will.)
    >>

    > Lots of services offer lower rates to new customers that then increase
    > after a year or so. However, if these rates won't go up just quit and
    > sign up again.

    All 3 out accounts will be changed to $17.99/month as of 11/1.

    --
    <Remove XXX to reply via email>

    Bob Schoenleber, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Well now that's the best news I've heard all day.

    Though it makes me wonder if this is the beginning of the end for
    Netflix.

    Blockbuster has a nasty habit of undercutting the competition and then
    driving them out of business. Happened with my hometown video store-
    Blockbuster moved in and lowered their prices dramatically, so much so
    that the local joint couldn't compete. Then the local place closed and
    a few weeks later Blockbuster's prices shot up.

    I do hope Netflix can hang on, because a little competition seems to
    make these companies work a little harder to keep their customers
    happy.

    Snaith

    Snaithbert Collins, Oct 19, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    (Snaithbert Collins) wrote:

    > Blockbuster has a nasty habit of undercutting the competition and then
    > driving them out of business. Happened with my hometown video store-
    > Blockbuster moved in and lowered their prices dramatically, so much so
    > that the local joint couldn't compete. Then the local place closed and
    > a few weeks later Blockbuster's prices shot up.

    Which should all teach us that you should NEVER SHOP BLOCKBUSTER!
    FUCKING JERKOFFS!

    Urra Dipschitt, Oct 19, 2004
  13. ky

    Nonymous Guest

    "RR" <> wrote in message
    > $21.99 may be a bargain, but it's still a rip-off if you're a long-term
    > customer, and they're not giving you the same lower price that they're
    > giving new customers. You're one of the people who's kept them in business
    > and put them on the map - if they don't acknowledge that, screw 'em. (I

    know
    > I will.)

    There are also long, *long* term customers who pay $21.99 and get *four*
    DVDs instead of three.

    Nonymous, Oct 22, 2004
  14. In article <>,
    "Nonymous" <> wrote:

    > There are also long, *long* term customers who pay $21.99 and get *four*
    > DVDs instead of three.

    Hooray for us! :)

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 22, 2004
  15. ky

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Reginald Dwight wrote:
    || In article <>,
    || "Nonymous" <> wrote:
    ||| There are also long, *long* term customers who pay $21.99 and get
    ||| *four* DVDs instead of three.
    || Hooray for us! :)

    I get 4 dvds out at a time for 17.99 starting Nov 1. Yea!

    Roger Zoul, Oct 24, 2004
  16. ky

    Jack Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Reginald Dwight wrote:
    > || Hooray for us! :)
    >
    > I get 4 dvds out at a time for 17.99 starting Nov 1. Yea!

    I don't see the 4 out @ 17.99 mentioned anywhere.

    November 1st, 2004.
    Our new pricing is as follows:

    2-at-a-time, 4 rentals per month: $11.99/month
    3-at-a-time Unlimited: $17.99/month
    5-at-a-time Unlimited: $29.99/month
    8-at-a-time Unlimited: $47.99/month
    We will automatically change your billing rate to the new lower price
    at the time of your November billing cycle. You do not need to contact
    us to get the new, lower rate.

    All members who finish their Free Trial period on or after November
    1st, 2004 will automatically receive the new, lower price.

    Jack, Oct 25, 2004
  17. ky

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << I don't see the 4 out @ 17.99 mentioned anywhere. >><BR><BR>

    I'm assuming the poster is referring to an older deal (4 per the lowest monthly
    rate) that Netflix has kept around only for long-time members who signed up for
    that rate before they switched it to three per month.

    SoHillsGuy, Oct 25, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    (SoHillsGuy) wrote:

    > I'm assuming the poster is referring to an older deal (4 per the lowest
    > monthly
    > rate) that Netflix has kept around only for long-time members who signed up
    > for
    > that rate before they switched it to three per month.

    You are correct. Many of us are grandfathered to the old four-at-a-time
    tier.

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 25, 2004
  19. ky

    Karl S Guest

    On 25 Oct 2004 02:53:05 GMT, (SoHillsGuy) wrote:

    ><< I don't see the 4 out @ 17.99 mentioned anywhere. >><BR><BR>
    >

    >I'm assuming the poster is referring to an older deal (4 per the lowest monthly
    >rate) that Netflix has kept around only for long-time members who signed up for
    >that rate before they switched it to three per month.

    Only the members who didn't abuse the system were kept on 4 out. The
    others were switched to 3 out.

    When they first started, Netflix was naive--they thought most people
    were honest--and they created a system that was easy to abuse.

    Karl S, Oct 25, 2004
  20. ky

    Crankkkie Guest

    "Karl S" <> wrote in message

    > Only the members who didn't abuse the system were kept on 4 out. The
    > others were switched to 3 out.
    >
    > When they first started, Netflix was naive--they thought most people
    > were honest--and they created a system that was easy to abuse.

    How does one abuse Netflix? If you are referring to renting too many titles
    per month, why doesn't Netflix impose a limit rather than penalize members
    who are able to rent high numbers of disks? How is renting as many as the US
    mail allows being dishonest? On the other hand, Netlfix, by claiming you can
    rent an unlimited number when there clearly is a limit, is being dishonest.

    Crankkkie, Oct 25, 2004