Netflix sues Blockbuster

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by wunnuy, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    wunnuy, Apr 5, 2006

  2. I wonder if the throttling process is patented as well?
    Barry McCockiner, Apr 5, 2006

  3. wunnuy

    Impmon Guest

    On 4 Apr 2006 19:50:46 -0700, "wunnuy" <> wrote:

    >Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
    >amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
    >renting DVDs in the first place.
    >
    >http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2006-04-04-netflix-sues_x.htm?csp=24

    The sad thing is the only real winner in this case are the lawyers.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
    Impmon, Apr 5, 2006
  4. "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On 4 Apr 2006 19:50:46 -0700, "wunnuy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
    >>amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
    >>renting DVDs in the first place.
    >>
    >>http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2006-04-04-netflix-sues_x.htm?csp=24

    > The sad thing is the only real winner in this case are the lawyers.

    Sure, but on a more optimistic note; the only real losers are Netflix (I
    don't know if they have an Australian branch, but I wouldn't rent from them
    anyway after hearing about their throttling) and Blockbuster (the name
    synonymous with Late Fees and Mutilated Movies. (I actually do rent from the
    local Blockbuster, but in Australia they don't mutilate their movies, and
    the local store at least is very good about late-fees.)
    The Man With No Name, Apr 5, 2006
  5. wunnuy

    Nonymous Guest

    Impmon <> wrote in news:98s63216bthnthmkgloakhu03fi1pujp1o@
    4ax.com:

    > On 4 Apr 2006 19:50:46 -0700, "wunnuy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
    >>amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
    >>renting DVDs in the first place.
    >>
    >>http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2006-04-04-netflix-sues_x.htm?csp=24

    > The sad thing is the only real winner in this case are the lawyers.

    Even sadder is the U.S. Patent Office let Netflix 'patent' their 'business
    methodology'. I think Blockbuster should file a countersuit. Against the
    patent office.
    Nonymous, Apr 5, 2006
  6. wunnuy

    Guest

    AGREED!

    1. The US Patent office should have never issued the patents to
    Netflix.
    2. This just creates bad PR for Netflix.

    It's as if Wal-Mart applied for and received a patent on "a store where
    customers select their merchandise then come to the front of the store,
    where a cashier totals their purchase and collects payment" and then
    Wal-Mart sued every other retailer (Target, Home Depot, Kolh's etc.)
    that had a store with registers in front where customers checked out
    (like 99% of all stores).

    The Patent office screwed up big time. Netflix is going to blow money
    on a lawsuit that accomplishes nothing.
    , Apr 5, 2006
  7. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    wrote:
    > AGREED!
    >
    > 1. The US Patent office should have never issued the patents to
    > Netflix.
    > 2. This just creates bad PR for Netflix.
    >
    > It's as if Wal-Mart applied for and received a patent on "a store where
    > customers select their merchandise then come to the front of the store,
    > where a cashier totals their purchase and collects payment" and then
    > Wal-Mart sued every other retailer (Target, Home Depot, Kolh's etc.)
    > that had a store with registers in front where customers checked out
    > (like 99% of all stores).

    Plus there are other smaller companies doing it too - why doesn't
    netflix sue them? I think all this is just another step in the end
    result of another big DVD by mail company starting up.
    wunnuy, Apr 5, 2006
  8. wunnuy

    Impmon Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 08:44:02 -0700, "wunnuy" <> wrote:

    >Plus there are other smaller companies doing it too - why doesn't
    >netflix sue them? I think all this is just another step in the end
    >result of another big DVD by mail company starting up.

    Going after big name like Blockbuster tended to get better results
    than going after smaller companies that not many people knows about.

    IMO Netflix should drop the lawsuit, it's not something they can win.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
    Impmon, Apr 6, 2006
  9. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On 5 Apr 2006 08:44:02 -0700, "wunnuy" <> wrote:
    >

    > Going after big name like Blockbuster tended to get better results
    > than going after smaller companies that not many people knows about.
    >
    > IMO Netflix should drop the lawsuit, it's not something they can win.

    Of course you're talking about a company that admittedly throttles
    people (which results in them leaving the service) under the pretense
    this will save them money. They're not the brightest company in the
    world. I said it before, I'll say it again, there will be another
    company at some point that will blow these other two out of the water.
    BB is just a poorly managed company and Netflix is sleazy.
    wunnuy, Apr 6, 2006
  10. wunnuy

    Tim V. Guest

    Barry McCockiner <> wrote in news:040420062307049771%
    :

    > I wonder if the throttling process is patented as well?

    ROTFLMAO!!

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
    liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington
    Tim V., Apr 13, 2006
  11. wunnuy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    >Barry McCockiner <> wrote in news:040420062307049771%
    >:

    >> I wonder if the throttling process is patented as well?

    Probably not. Having finite inventory isn't anything netflix invented.
    AZ Nomad, Apr 13, 2006
  12. wunnuy

    Tim V. Guest

    Nonymous <> wrote in

    > Even sadder is the U.S. Patent Office let Netflix 'patent' their
    > 'business methodology'. I think Blockbuster should file a
    > countersuit. Against the patent office.

    My company is really big about patenting 'methodology', which I think is
    bogus. Probably something lawyers thought up. Now, you can patent
    ideas without having to create or produce anything. The whole idea
    behind patents used to be to protect the design of a physical object.
    At what point will it end?

    Gee, I think I'll patent the idea of putting RF id's in all cars and
    making a wireless grid to track them. Yeah... that's a great idea
    that I'm sure has already been patented. The idea shouldn'd be
    protected because it can be done mulitple ways. You should be
    able to patent the RFI chip design, the means by which it communicates,
    etc, but not the generalized idea itself.

    The generalized idea of renting media via the internet and snail mail
    should not be patentable. Perhaps BB is doing something beneath the
    covers that is an infringement. WIth BB's money troubles, I'll bet
    Netlfix really wants an out of court settlement.

    Tim V., Apr 13, 2006
  13. wunnuy

    Tim V. Guest

    AZ Nomad <> wrote in

    >>Barry McCockiner <> wrote in news:040420062307049771%
    >>:

    >>> I wonder if the throttling process is patented as well?

    > Probably not. Having finite inventory isn't anything netflix invented.

    I was being facetious. :)

    Tim V., May 1, 2006