Netflix - Star Wars Original Theatrical Versions DVDs - Widescreen or Pan & Scan rentals?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Barry, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. Barry

    Barry Guest

    I was surprised to see that Netflix has each of the Star Wars episodes
    4 - 6 Original Theatrical Versions listed as available for rent on
    September 12th (because Netflix rarely gets re-releases of movies).

    The problem is that Netflix's description for each movie lists both
    Widescreen and Fullscreen (Pan & Scan) and the picture of the DVD case
    shows the Fullscreen version. Well, actually Star Wars only lists
    Widescreen, but the picture still shows Fullscreen.

    Does anyone know if Netflix will be carrying the Widescreen or
    Fullscreen versions for rent? If no one knows yet, could someone post
    after the 12th once you rent them?

    I only want to rent the Widescreen versions, so I'll hold off adding
    them to my queue until I know they are not Fullscreen.

    By the way, I've seen numerous discrepancies of Widescreen vs.
    Fullscreen on Netflix's site. Each of the many times I've sent an
    email asking Netflix to clarify whether a particular DVD is Widescreen
    or Fullscreen, my email was ignored. Every time I've called up and
    asked a phone rep, I was told there is no way to find out except by
    sending an email. Therefore, the only way in the world I know to find
    out (besides wasting a rental) is to post a message like this.

    Barry, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Re: Netflix - Star Wars Original Theatrical Versions DVDs - Widescreenor Pan & Scan rentals?

    Barry wrote:

    > I was surprised to see that Netflix has each of the Star Wars episodes
    > 4 - 6 Original Theatrical Versions listed as available for rent on
    > September 12th (because Netflix rarely gets re-releases of movies).
    >
    > I only want to rent the Widescreen versions, so I'll hold off adding
    > them to my queue until I know they are not Fullscreen.

    You could look at "Screen Formats" on the page info:
    http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70053213

    > By the way, I've seen numerous discrepancies of Widescreen vs.
    > Fullscreen on Netflix's site. Each of the many times I've sent an
    > email asking Netflix to clarify whether a particular DVD is Widescreen
    > or Fullscreen, my email was ignored. Every time I've called up and
    > asked a phone rep, I was told there is no way to find out except by
    > sending an email.

    AaMoF, I don't see any choice of Wide vs. Full on my page, or on Netflix
    Freak:
    The usual default is Widescreen for all rentals, since the majority of
    New Releases don't have dual versions to begin with, and Netflix doesn't
    want to bother with anal-retentively stocking four-dip "Unrated vs. R,
    Wide & Full" releases.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 4, 2006

  3. Barry

    Guest

    I don't think I've ever seen fullscreen anything at Netflix, unless it
    was actually included on the same disk as the widescren version (eg.:
    Transporter 2, Big Trouble in Little China).

    , Sep 4, 2006