Netflix slower since price decrease?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lulu, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. Lulu

    Lulu Guest

    Before Netflix's recent price decrease (from $21.99/mo to $17.99/mo),
    our DVD turnaround time was 2-3 days. If I put a disc in the mailbox
    Monday, the distribution center (20 miles away) received it Tuesday,
    checked it in and sent the next disc that same day; I would receive the
    next disc by Thursday - sometimes even Wednesday.

    This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price
    decrease. I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check
    it in until Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until
    Thursday, and according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday!
    The same deal happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc
    in my queue still has yet to be sent today (Friday).

    Is anybody else experiencing this? Has Netflix decided to dramatically
    slow down turnaround time in order to help absorb the cost (to them) of
    the price decrease? Or is this just a coincidence? I find it strange
    that after several months of a 2-3 day turnaround time, that time
    SUDDENLY stretches out to a full week between dropping a disc in the
    mail and receiving a new one.

    I would MUCH rather pay a dollar more a week for the previous
    (excellent) service. Up until now, I averaged 11-12 DVD's per month -
    well worth $22/mo. ($1.80 - $2 per disc). A weeklong turnaround time on
    the discs means I'll be lucky to get 5 -6 discs a month ($3 - $3.60 per
    disc), making the service MUCH less valuable to me. We might even
    (regretfully) cancel our membership if the slow turnaround time turns
    out to be a new company policy.

    So what's up? IS anybody else experiencing much slower turnaround from
    Netflix? Or is it just me?

    -Lulu
    Lulu, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Lulu

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << So what's up? IS anybody else experiencing much slower turnaround from
    Netflix? Or is it just me? >><BR><BR>

    I know! I haven't gotten a new disc in more than a week and a half.

    Oh wait....I still have all three in hand.
    SoHillsGuy, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Lulu

    Zimmy Guest

    I;m experiencing the same thing.
    I had a great system.
    Return the movie on Friday/Saturday and always get new releases on Tuesday.
    This hasn't worked the last 3 weeks. I still haven't got Van Helsing.
    Now, I normally wouldn't mind the slowdown since I try to only have 3 out a
    week but if you want new releases and you miss the Tuesday window, you are
    out of luck.
    Now, I'm going to return most everything I get the next day and see how fast
    they react.

    Zimmy, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Lulu

    Nonymous Guest

    "Lulu" <> wrote in message
    > This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price decrease.
    > I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it in until
    > Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday, and
    > according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same deal
    > happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue still
    > has yet to be sent today (Friday).
    >
    > Is anybody else experiencing this?

    It happened one time and you complain right off the bat? How about waiting
    for one or two more instances before complaining. I dropped three disks in
    the mail on Monday. I had replacements when I got home from work on
    Thursday. Usually, I don't get the replacements until Friday.
    Nonymous, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Lulu

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/29/2004 8:18:35 AM, Lulu wrote:

    > Before Netflix's recent price decrease (from $21.99/mo to $17.99/mo),
    > our DVD turnaround time was 2-3 days.

    Doesn't the price decrease not go into effect until November 1?

    Turnaround time here is still two-three days.
    --
    "Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
    exploited!"
    Tarkus, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Lulu

    Edward Reid Guest

    You know, when I first read this newsgroup three years ago, I read the
    EXACT same discussion over and over ...

    Edward
    Edward Reid, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Lulu

    Lulu Guest

    Nonymous wrote:
    > "Lulu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price decrease.
    >>I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it in until
    >>Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday, and
    >>according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same deal
    >>happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue still
    >>has yet to be sent today (Friday).
    >>
    >>Is anybody else experiencing this?

    > It happened one time and you complain right off the bat? How about waiting
    > for one or two more instances before complaining. I dropped three disks in
    > the mail on Monday. I had replacements when I got home from work on
    > Thursday. Usually, I don't get the replacements until Friday.

    Did you actually read my post? It has happened twice...with both movies
    I sent back last week. Turnaround time had been 2-3 days. With those
    two movies, the turnaround time will be 1 week for the first movie, 8
    days for the second (according to Netflix itself).

    It seemed strange to me that my turnaround time more than doubled the
    day after the announcement about a price decrease. The reason I asked
    if anybody else was experiencing this was in order to see if it was just
    a fluke or possibly a new company policy. The response my post received
    indicates it may be a fluke, since many others seem to be receiving the
    same level of service from Netflix.

    -Lulu
    Lulu, Oct 30, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Lulu <> wrote:

    > Did you actually read my post? It has happened twice...with both movies
    > I sent back last week.

    What were the movies? It can make a big difference.

    > The response my post received
    > indicates it may be a fluke, since many others seem to be receiving the
    > same level of service from Netflix.

    Same 3 day turnaround here - mail out disc on a Monday, receive new disc
    on Wednesday.
    Reginald Dwight, Oct 30, 2004
  9. Lulu

    Nonymous Guest

    "Lulu" <> wrote in message
    > Nonymous wrote:
    >> "Lulu" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price
    >>>decrease. I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it
    >>>in until Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday,
    >>>and according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same
    >>>deal happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue
    >>>still has yet to be sent today (Friday).
    >>>
    >>>Is anybody else experiencing this?

    >> It happened one time and you complain right off the bat? How about
    >> waiting for one or two more instances before complaining. I dropped
    >> three disks in the mail on Monday. I had replacements when I got home
    >> from work on Thursday. Usually, I don't get the replacements until
    >> Friday.

    > Did you actually read my post? It has happened twice...with both movies I
    > sent back last week. Turnaround time had been 2-3 days. With those two
    > movies, the turnaround time will be 1 week for the first movie, 8 days for
    > the second (according to Netflix itself).
    >
    > It seemed strange to me that my turnaround time more than doubled the day
    > after the announcement about a price decrease. The reason I asked if
    > anybody else was experiencing this was in order to see if it was just a
    > fluke or possibly a new company policy. The response my post received
    > indicates it may be a fluke, since many others seem to be receiving the
    > same level of service from Netflix.

    Actually, I'd consider an 'instance' to be anything that happens within a
    single week. To me, dropping a disk in the mail on Monday, followed by
    another on Tuesday is pretty much one drop - they were sent off to Netflix
    within hours of each other.

    That said, it does remain to be seen if Netflix will keep up the service
    levels. If the lower price cuts into the profit margins who knows what
    could happen... longer turn around times to save on postage, or longer turn
    around times due to staff cutbacks. Hmm.
    Nonymous, Oct 30, 2004
  10. Lulu

    Del March Guest

    What I don't get is when they acknoledge in the morning that they've received a
    return disk, but indicate that the next disk won't be shipped until tomorrow.
    What's up with that?
    Del March, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Lulu

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Del March
    <> wrote:

    > What I don't get is when they acknoledge in the morning that they've received
    > return disk, but indicate that the next disk won't be shipped until tomorrow.
    > What's up with that?

    Maybe they only go to the post office once a day? If the mail gets
    picked up at noon, it matters not if something is posted at 2 pm or at
    9 am :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 31, 2004
  12. Lulu

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/29/2004 9:37:27 PM, Edward Reid wrote:

    > You know, when I first read this newsgroup three years ago, I read the
    > EXACT same discussion over and over ...

    I think people have macros, to save them time typing.
    --
    "We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have
    about three seconds to live."
    Tarkus, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Lulu

    Beaumon Guest

    Lulu <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > *Snip Netflix is screwing us conspiracy theory.*
    >

    > -Lulu

    Some of you are fortunate enough to live so close to a Netflix
    warehouse that all your mail is handled on local routes. Most of us
    have discs that go a lot further. I would say this is likely a USPS
    issue. I use a PO box, at the main post office in my city, which is
    also the main sorting facility for this part of the state. The
    benefit of this is that I get mail 7 days a week, and it's always
    delivered before I even get up of a day. I've noticed, over the past
    5 years that they run in cycles; sometimes things move real quick,
    sometimes not. Moving the mail has to be a logistical nightmare, with
    factors such as volume, day of week, and a lot of times the weather
    coming into play. I too had some discs in the last couple of weeks go
    MIA for longer than they normally would. Other items of regularly
    received mail had the same issue. Therefore, I tend to think it was
    not the fault of Netflix. Things seem to be back on track now, as my
    last set of returns got back to netflix in the normal, timely fashion.

    Some people may find this geeky, but if you have the chance to ever
    talk to someone in the know at the post office, it's a fascinating
    system.

    -beaumon
    Beaumon, Oct 31, 2004
  14. Lulu

    Guest

    , Nov 3, 2004
  15. Lulu

    Steve Guest

    It has slowed for me as well so they are either purposefully doing
    this to offset the price cut or experienceing a new flood of members
    due to price cut.

    I will wait awhile but not too long since Blockbuster has a wider
    selection and a store jsut down the street for drop-offs.

    Steve
    Steve, Nov 11, 2004
  16. Lulu

    Nonymous Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > Blockbuster has a wider selection

    huh ?
    Nonymous, Nov 11, 2004
  17. Lulu

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > It has slowed for me as well so they are either purposefully doing
    > this to offset the price cut or experienceing a new flood of members
    > due to price cut.
    >
    > I will wait awhile but not too long since Blockbuster has a wider
    > selection

    What? Are you nuts? Blockbuster is lucky if they have 1/5th the number of
    titles that Netflix has.
    Pug Fugley, Nov 11, 2004
  18. Lulu

    discogail Guest

    -----"What? Are you nuts? Blockbuster is lucky if they have 1/5th the number
    of
    titles that Netflix has.":

    That's just not true. Drag yourself out of the past.........Blockbuster
    stores still border on inadequate........but online......they've made huge
    strides. Check it out and be surprised........I was.
    discogail, Nov 11, 2004
  19. Lulu

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "discogail" <> wrote in message
    > -----"What? Are you nuts? Blockbuster is lucky if they have 1/5th the

    number
    > of
    > titles that Netflix has.":
    >

    > That's just not true. Drag yourself out of the past.........Blockbuster
    > stores still border on inadequate........but online......they've made huge
    > strides. Check it out and be surprised........I was.

    Uhh....not even close. Nice try though. My queue is filled with over 50
    titles not available at Blockbuster.
    Pug Fugley, Nov 11, 2004
  20. Lulu

    Tabernacle Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message news:<JXAkd.45$>...
    > "discogail" <> wrote in message
    > > -----"What? Are you nuts? Blockbuster is lucky if they have 1/5th the

    > number
    > > of
    > > titles that Netflix has.":
    > >

    > > That's just not true. Drag yourself out of the past.........Blockbuster
    > > stores still border on inadequate........but online......they've made huge
    > > strides. Check it out and be surprised........I was.

    > Uhh....not even close. Nice try though. My queue is filled with over 50
    > titles not available at Blockbuster.

    Netflix, Blockbuster the hell with that waste of time and money!

    Especially with the prices of DVD titles and DVD recorders like my
    Pioneer 220 ($248.00 at Walmart) dropping everyday all I need to do is
    record a movie (or program) from off hundreds of channels like my HBO
    or Showtime On Demand service (free with the movie package) or from
    off Comcasts PPV at $3.99 each (for a 24hr rental) for the cost of an
    $.81 blank disc (plus a $.12 case) I can enjoy it for years to come OR
    until a store has the title on sale At My Price!

    Like say for example the sale Best Buy had a few months back at which
    I got Jurassic Park One,Two and Three at for 3 for $20.00, and of
    course there are places like the $5.50 bin at Walmart (just picked up
    Hard Times from out of it last week when I went in to buy some socks)
    and Target, and heck even the local Supermarkets are getting into the
    act as just last week one had a 4 for $20.00 sale selection (about 95
    different titles to choose from like K-Pax,Mars Attacks,Coma,Dark City
    ect...)at which I picked up 12 titles, and then as a bonus I used a
    store coupon which allowed me to take off an additional $8.00 on a
    $50.00 or more purchase so I got the 12 for $52.00!
    Tabernacle, Nov 12, 2004