Netflix rating system?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Russ, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. Russ

    Russ Guest

    I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
    across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
    most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
    So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
    is what I found.

    138 people gave it one star.
    110 gave it two stars
    73 gave it three stars
    47 gave it 4 stars
    23 gave it 5 stars.

    Which equals 391

    Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
    average rating? divide by 5?

    Somehow with numbers like those above shouldn't it be more around 2
    stars? Is Net Flix being honest with their math or are they just
    trying to push dud movies on us.

    Russ, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Russ

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Russ wrote:
    > I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
    > across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
    > most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
    > So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
    > is what I found.
    >
    > 138 people gave it one star.
    > 110 gave it two stars
    > 73 gave it three stars
    > 47 gave it 4 stars
    > 23 gave it 5 stars.
    >
    > Which equals 391
    >
    > Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
    > average rating? divide by 5?

    First of all, you wouldn't divide by five. You'd do the average like
    this:

    138 who gave it one star = 138 total stars
    110 who gave it two stars = 220 total stars
    73 who gave it three stars = 219 total stars
    47 who gave it four stars = 188 total stars
    23 who gave it five stars = 115 total stars

    Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
    stars average.

    However, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting these vote totals.
    Are these from people who wrote reviews? If so, then this isn't the
    actual vote totals. Anyone on Netflix can post a star vote on any disc
    without writing a review. So, if you took those votes from only those
    who posted a written review, then this is likely only a small portion
    of the real total votes.

    SoHillsGuy, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Russ

    jwb Guest

    "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message

    > 138 who gave it one star = 138 total stars
    > 110 who gave it two stars = 220 total stars
    > 73 who gave it three stars = 219 total stars
    > 47 who gave it four stars = 188 total stars
    > 23 who gave it five stars = 115 total stars
    >
    > Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
    > stars average.

    which they probably round up, since they don't seem to do "half stars"

    jwb, Jun 27, 2006
  4. Russ

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    jwb wrote:
    > "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message
    > > Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
    > > stars average.

    > which they probably round up, since they don't seem to do "half stars"

    That's not true. Their site is covered with ratings that include
    fractional stars of all sizes.

    SoHillsGuy, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Russ

    > jwb wrote:
    >> "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message
    >> > Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
    >> > stars average.

    >> which they probably round up, since they don't seem to do "half stars"

    > That's not true. Their site is covered with ratings that include
    > fractional stars of all sizes.

    didn't notice (or, I should say, I didn't bother to look before posting, and
    was going by memory, which is obviously faulty). But yes, you are correct.

    So yea, the original question is valid - why three stars for the movie,
    then?

    jwb, Jun 27, 2006
  6. Russ

    Nonymous Guest

    "Russ" <> wrote in news:1151391598.197076.241380
    @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    > I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
    > across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
    > most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
    > So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
    > is what I found.
    >
    > 138 people gave it one star.
    > 110 gave it two stars
    > 73 gave it three stars
    > 47 gave it 4 stars
    > 23 gave it 5 stars.
    >
    > Which equals 391
    >
    > Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
    > average rating? divide by 5?

    The stars dont show the average rating. The stars are an estimate of what
    you'd give the movie were you to watch it. It's computed by comparing your
    movie ratings against the ratings of everybody else that watched the same
    movies as you. Of course if you haven't rated any/many movies, then the
    stars really do behave more like average ratings.

    Nonymous, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Russ

    Guest

    Russ wrote:
    > I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
    > across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
    > most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
    > So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
    > is what I found.
    >
    > 138 people gave it one star.
    > 110 gave it two stars
    > 73 gave it three stars
    > 47 gave it 4 stars
    > 23 gave it 5 stars.
    >
    > Which equals 391
    >
    > Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
    > average rating? divide by 5?
    >
    > Somehow with numbers like those above shouldn't it be more around 2
    > stars? Is Net Flix being honest with their math or are they just
    > trying to push dud movies on us.

    Actually, they're trying to push movies on duds. Further more, I can't
    believe anyone would base decisions on self-serving rating systems
    orchestrated by make-believe retailers.

    , Jun 28, 2006
  8. Russ

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Russ wrote:
    > > I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
    > > across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
    > > most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
    > > So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
    > > is what I found.
    > >
    > > 138 people gave it one star.
    > > 110 gave it two stars
    > > 73 gave it three stars
    > > 47 gave it 4 stars
    > > 23 gave it 5 stars.
    > >
    > > Which equals 391
    > >
    > > Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
    > > average rating? divide by 5?
    > >
    > > Somehow with numbers like those above shouldn't it be more around 2
    > > stars? Is Net Flix being honest with their math or are they just
    > > trying to push dud movies on us.

    > Actually, they're trying to push movies on duds.

    Why would they care? Hell, in their perfect world people would pay the
    monthly fee and not rent anything :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jun 28, 2006