Netflix question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TH, Jul 20, 2007.

  1. TH

    TH Guest

    Hi, just a quick question. I have about 25 disks in my Netflix queue.
    About a third are new releases. I never get any new releases sent. The
    ONLY time I ever get a new release is about once every three or four
    weeks when I put a new release that comes out on Tuesday and they're
    shipping out a disk on the Monday before; this happens maybe once
    every three to four weeks. I've already complained about some
    throttling and got a "free disk" which I haven't used because I'm
    considering quitting the service. My question is, if I drop all my
    other movies outside the "new releases" (which all have "short" to
    "long" waits on them and I never ever get them sent, some are four to
    six weeks old) will they start sending me these new releases or will
    my queue just sit there with no disks sent since they're all
    supposedly "long wait?" Basically I have the other movies in my queue
    simply as filler for what I expected to be the occasional time I don't
    get a new release sent (I get most of these movies at the library) but
    since I'm at the point where I never get any new releases, it's
    basically pointless for me to remain with Netflix.

    So if I have nothing but new releases, would my "sent out" just remain
    empty? There can be no way that every single new release disk gets
    taken by other people constantly and I'm only at the 2 at a time plan.

    TH, Jul 20, 2007

  2. TH

    def456 Guest

    There's nothing you can do.
    Try Blockbuster or some of the other movie rental services.

    def456, Jul 20, 2007

  3. TH

    bd Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:45:41 GMT, "def456" <> wrote:

    >There's nothing you can do.
    >Try Blockbuster or some of the other movie rental services.

    Blockbuster is for Blockheads and Blu-ray ass lickers.

    bd, Jul 20, 2007
  4. TH

    Phisherman Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:58 -0700, TH <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, just a quick question. I have about 25 disks in my Netflix queue.
    >About a third are new releases. I never get any new releases sent. The
    >ONLY time I ever get a new release is about once every three or four
    >weeks when I put a new release that comes out on Tuesday and they're
    >shipping out a disk on the Monday before; this happens maybe once
    >every three to four weeks. I've already complained about some
    >throttling and got a "free disk" which I haven't used because I'm
    >considering quitting the service. My question is, if I drop all my
    >other movies outside the "new releases" (which all have "short" to
    >"long" waits on them and I never ever get them sent, some are four to
    >six weeks old) will they start sending me these new releases or will
    >my queue just sit there with no disks sent since they're all
    >supposedly "long wait?" Basically I have the other movies in my queue
    >simply as filler for what I expected to be the occasional time I don't
    >get a new release sent (I get most of these movies at the library) but
    >since I'm at the point where I never get any new releases, it's
    >basically pointless for me to remain with Netflix.
    >
    >So if I have nothing but new releases, would my "sent out" just remain
    >empty? There can be no way that every single new release disk gets
    >taken by other people constantly and I'm only at the 2 at a time plan.

    Some DVDs are so popular which causes long waits in the cue. Having
    some available DVDs in your cue is what you want, otherwise you will
    not get any arrivals for some time. You won't be a happy Netflix
    customer if you expect to get all the new releases quickly. I use
    in-store Blockbuster 0.99 coupons for new releases.

    Phisherman, Jul 20, 2007
  5. TH

    TH Guest

    On Jul 20, 3:41 am, Phisherman <> wrote:

    > not get any arrivals for some time. You won't be a happy Netflix
    > customer if you expect to get all the new releases quickly. I use
    > in-store Blockbuster 0.99 coupons for new releases.- Hide quoted text -

    I don't expect to get all the new releases quickly. I just expect to
    get some sometimes, instead of none at all. I put them all in as soon
    as they're available for the queue, which is before their release
    date, yet I never get any.

    TH, Jul 20, 2007
  6. TH wrote:

    > On Jul 20, 3:41 am, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >

    >>not get any arrivals for some time. You won't be a happy Netflix
    >>customer if you expect to get all the new releases quickly. I use
    >>in-store Blockbuster 0.99 coupons for new releases.- Hide quoted text -

    > I don't expect to get all the new releases quickly. I just expect to
    > get some sometimes, instead of none at all. I put them all in as soon
    > as they're available for the queue, which is before their release
    > date, yet I never get any.

    For the same reason that I never used to *expect* finding a copy of a
    New Release at Blockbuster the Friday after it hit the shelves, but I
    might HOPE I did if I went on the Tuesday after.

    (Also if new Netflix titles show "Long Wait" on opening Tuesday before
    turning to "Short Wait" on Wednesday, that can be translated as "We
    haven't finished printing out sleeves for all our copies yet, hold yer
    horses...")

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 20, 2007
  7. TH

    TH Guest

    On Jul 20, 12:01 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > TH wrote:
    > > On Jul 20, 3:41 am, Phisherman <> wrote:

    > >>not get any arrivals for some time. You won't be a happy Netflix
    > >>customer if you expect to get all the new releases quickly. I use
    > >>in-store Blockbuster 0.99 coupons for new releases.- Hide quoted text -

    > > I don't expect to get all the new releases quickly. I just expect to
    > > get some sometimes, instead of none at all. I put them all in as soon
    > > as they're available for the queue, which is before their release
    > > date, yet I never get any.

    > For the same reason that I never used to *expect* finding a copy of a
    > New Release at Blockbuster the Friday after it hit the shelves, but I
    > might HOPE I did if I went on the Tuesday after.

    Finding a new release on a Friday night at Blockbuster and expecting
    an occasional new release in Netflix are two completely different
    things. No logical person would walk in on Friday at BB and expect
    any new releases to be there, anyone who would could be considered
    clueless. Expecting an occasional new release from Netflix sent to me
    is not unreasonable. I'm not adding them a week after they've come out
    (putting myself well at the bottom of the list). I'm not expecting
    every single new release sent to me asap. I'm just asking for an
    occasional release, which I do not get.

    TH, Jul 20, 2007
  8. TH

    Guest

    On Jul 19, 6:28 pm, TH <> wrote:
    > Hi, just a quick question. I have about 25 disks in my Netflix queue.
    > About a third are new releases. I never get any new releases sent. The
    > ONLY time I ever get a new release is about once every three or four
    > weeks when I put a new release that comes out on Tuesday and they're
    > shipping out a disk on the Monday before; this happens maybe once
    > every three to four weeks. I've already complained about some
    > throttling and got a "free disk" which I haven't used because I'm
    > considering quitting the service. My question is, if I drop all my
    > other movies outside the "new releases" (which all have "short" to
    > "long" waits on them and I never ever get them sent, some are four to
    > six weeks old) will they start sending me these new releases or will
    > my queue just sit there with no disks sent since they're all
    > supposedly "long wait?" Basically I have the other movies in my queue
    > simply as filler for what I expected to be the occasional time I don't
    > get a new release sent (I get most of these movies at the library) but
    > since I'm at the point where I never get any new releases, it's
    > basically pointless for me to remain with Netflix.
    >
    > So if I have nothing but new releases, would my "sent out" just remain
    > empty? There can be no way that every single new release disk gets
    > taken by other people constantly and I'm only at the 2 at a time plan.

    This is my experience:

    I'm not a heavy enough user to be throttled. It generally takes about
    2 weeks from the release date for me to get a new release, sometimes 3
    weeks if it's a very popular one. Due to the USPS and their "mule
    train" service in these parts I have to mail a disk back on Thursday
    to get it to Netflix on a Monday, which never happens because I only
    watch discs on weekends.

    If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    movies sprinkled in.

    -beaumon

    , Jul 20, 2007
  9. wrote:

    > This is my experience:
    >
    > I'm not a heavy enough user to be throttled. It generally takes about
    > 2 weeks from the release date for me to get a new release, sometimes 3
    > weeks if it's a very popular one. Due to the USPS and their "mule
    > train" service in these parts I have to mail a disk back on Thursday
    > to get it to Netflix on a Monday, which never happens because I only
    > watch discs on weekends.
    >
    > If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    > behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    > know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    > more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    > movies sprinkled in.

    I don't watch network TV at all, and my regular programming consists of
    rotating Netflix disks of Mission: Impossible, Dick Van Dyke Show, Have
    Gun Will Travel and Star Trek: Enterprise. (Not comparing that last one
    with the others, just never got to see it. ^_^ )

    As a result, I have a relatively low-traffic queue, and one series disk
    gives me enough for an entire week without the need to rely on shallow
    Blockbuster new-release titles--
    I still haven't seen the Oscar nominees from two years ago, since most
    of my theater-skipped New Releases are buried halfway down a 200+- queue
    of TV, Cult and Documentaries.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 21, 2007
  10. TH

    TH Guest

    On Jul 20, 2:44 pm, wrote:
    > On Jul 19, 6:28 pm, TH <> wrote:

    > If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    > behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    > know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    > more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    > movies sprinkled in.

    Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    about done with Netflix.

    Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    not the way to go for new releases?

    TH, Jul 21, 2007
  11. TH

    cdshonna Guest

    On Jul 20, 4:49 pm, TH <> wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 2:44 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 19, 6:28 pm, TH <> wrote:
    > > If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    > > behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    > > know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    > > more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    > > movies sprinkled in.

    > Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    > probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    > about done with Netflix.
    >
    > Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    > not the way to go for new releases?

    I didn't have any luck receiving new releases with
    Netflix or BB. I buy, sell, and trade them. Doesn't
    really cost much more than renting.

    --
    DVD CD Trader - Trade Collections and Lots
    Use promo# a112 and receive $1.00 off your first trade

    cdshonna, Jul 21, 2007
  12. TH

    Phisherman Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:49:10 -0700, TH <>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 20, 2:44 pm, wrote:
    >> On Jul 19, 6:28 pm, TH <> wrote:

    >> If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    >> behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    >> know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    >> more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    >> movies sprinkled in.
    >>

    >Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    >probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    >about done with Netflix.
    >
    >Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    >not the way to go for new releases?

    I have got new releases from Netflix, but the main reason I liked
    Netflix is that you can get DVDs not available elsewhere. I noticed
    that at Blockbuster you can get most new releases that have been on
    DVD for 3-4 weeks. Getting a DVD that has only been released a few
    days is more difficult. Most customers prefer Netflix over BB. I
    prefer Hollywood Video over BB--more friendly clerks, lower prices and
    more convenient location are my reasons.

    Phisherman, Jul 21, 2007
  13. TH

    TH Guest

    On Jul 21, 3:04 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:49:10 -0700, TH <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Jul 20, 2:44 pm, wrote:
    > >> On Jul 19, 6:28 pm, TH <> wrote:

    > >> If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    > >> behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    > >> know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    > >> more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    > >> movies sprinkled in.

    > >Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    > >probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    > >about done with Netflix.

    > >Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    > >not the way to go for new releases?

    > I have got new releases from Netflix, but the main reason I liked
    > Netflix is that you can get DVDs not available elsewhere. I noticed
    > that at Blockbuster you can get most new releases that have been on
    > DVD for 3-4 weeks. Getting a DVD that has only been released a few
    > days is more difficult. Most customers prefer Netflix over BB. I
    > prefer Hollywood Video over BB--more friendly clerks, lower prices and
    > more convenient location are my reasons.- Hide quoted text -

    What Hollywood video did you find lower prices at? The Hollywood
    videos in my area are just as expensive as the BB stores and the
    employees are just as annoying.

    TH, Jul 23, 2007
  14. TH

    cdshonna Guest

    On Jul 23, 12:06 pm, TH <> wrote:
    > On Jul 21, 3:04 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:49:10 -0700, TH <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    > > >probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    > > >about done with Netflix.

    > > >Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    > > >not the way to go for new releases?

    > > I have got new releases from Netflix, but the main reason I liked
    > > Netflix is that you can get DVDs not available elsewhere. I noticed
    > > that at Blockbuster you can get most new releases that have been on
    > > DVD for 3-4 weeks. Getting a DVD that has only been released a few
    > > days is more difficult. Most customers prefer Netflix over BB. I
    > > prefer Hollywood Video over BB--more friendly clerks, lower prices and
    > > more convenient location are my reasons.- Hide quoted text -

    > What Hollywood video did you find lower prices at? The Hollywood
    > videos in my area are just as expensive as the BB stores and the
    > employees are just as annoying.- Hide quoted text -

    Nice employees at the Hollywood Video where I'm at but the
    selection seems poor. I always preferred the Mom & Pop type
    rental stores, but they seem to have disappeared.

    --
    DVD CD Trader - DVDs CDs VHS
    No Fees - Buy Sell Trade

    cdshonna, Jul 23, 2007
  15. TH

    Phisherman Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:06:54 -0700, TH <>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 3:04 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:49:10 -0700, TH <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    >> >probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    >> >about done with Netflix.

    >> >Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    >> >not the way to go for new releases?

    >> I have got new releases from Netflix, but the main reason I liked
    >> Netflix is that you can get DVDs not available elsewhere. I noticed
    >> that at Blockbuster you can get most new releases that have been on
    >> DVD for 3-4 weeks. Getting a DVD that has only been released a few
    >> days is more difficult. Most customers prefer Netflix over BB. I
    >> prefer Hollywood Video over BB--more friendly clerks, lower prices and
    >> more convenient location are my reasons.- Hide quoted text -

    >What Hollywood video did you find lower prices at? The Hollywood
    >videos in my area are just as expensive as the BB stores and the
    >employees are just as annoying.

    In e.TN. Hollywood has unlimited DVD rentals (non new releases, 3 at
    a time though) for $9 a month. BB has the price of 24.99 a month.

    Phisherman, Jul 24, 2007
  16. TH

    Rick B. Guest

    wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 3:04 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:49:10 -0700, TH <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Oddly, putting new releases a month after their release date would
    >> >probably get them to me faster than the current system. Yup, I'm just
    >> >about done with Netflix.

    >> >Any BB customers here have better luck with this or is online rental
    >> >not the way to go for new releases?

    >> I have got new releases from Netflix, but the main reason I liked
    >> Netflix is that you can get DVDs not available elsewhere. I noticed
    >> that at Blockbuster you can get most new releases that have been on
    >> DVD for 3-4 weeks. Getting a DVD that has only been released a few
    >> days is more difficult. Most customers prefer Netflix over BB. I
    >> prefer Hollywood Video over BB--more friendly clerks, lower prices and
    >> more convenient location are my reasons.- Hide quoted text -

    >What Hollywood video did you find lower prices at? The Hollywood
    >videos in my area are just as expensive as the BB stores and the
    >employees are just as annoying.

    I was waiting in line at Hollywood once, and the girl behind the
    counter started talking all about the movie. I hate that! The store
    is now boarded up - just as well.

    Rick B., Jul 24, 2007
  17. TH

    GREG NIEMI Guest

    Hollywood is only $9.99 for a short period, $14.99 after that.

    GREG NIEMI, Jul 24, 2007
  18. TH

    Guest

    On Jul 20, 6:28 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > This is my experience:

    > > I'm not a heavy enough user to be throttled. It generally takes about
    > > 2 weeks from the release date for me to get a new release, sometimes 3
    > > weeks if it's a very popular one. Due to the USPS and their "mule
    > > train" service in these parts I have to mail a disk back on Thursday
    > > to get it to Netflix on a Monday, which never happens because I only
    > > watch discs on weekends.

    > > If you start putting discs at the top of your queue about a month
    > > behind their releases you'll be a happier netflix customer. I don't
    > > know if you watch only movies but for me, a TV series lover, there's
    > > more stuff out there than I possibly have time to watch, what with
    > > movies sprinkled in.

    > I don't watch network TV at all, and my regular programming consists of
    > rotating Netflix disks of Mission: Impossible, Dick Van Dyke Show, Have
    > Gun Will Travel and Star Trek: Enterprise. (Not comparing that last one
    > with the others, just never got to see it. ^_^ )
    >
    > As a result, I have a relatively low-traffic queue, and one series disk
    > gives me enough for an entire week without the need to rely on shallow
    > Blockbuster new-release titles--
    > I still haven't seen the Oscar nominees from two years ago, since most
    > of my theater-skipped New Releases are buried halfway down a 200+- queue
    > of TV, Cult and Documentaries.
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Enterprise was so-so, at least for the first 3 seasons. Then Manny
    Coto took over as showrunner and the fourth season was crackerjack.
    So, if you feel like giving up stick around for the forth season. The
    Mirror Universe two-parter was the first Star Trek episode in a
    looooong time that I watched multiple times and will watch again in
    the future. It's also why I'm very excited about the new original
    series movie they're doing.

    -beaumon

    , Jul 24, 2007
  19. TH

    teagal

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    Your message is confusing. I have been with Netflix for years and I always get my new releases as they are released. I just got 1 yesterday and 2 were mailed today. Do you know to put them at the top? Maybe calling them would help you to understand. Usually when I call, I get a freebie too :)

    teagal, Aug 30, 2007