    Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title, but
    its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.

    What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    Gary, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Gary

    Tarkus Guest

    On 12/1/2004 3:25:47 PM, Gary wrote:

    > Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
    > Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the
    > title, but its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long
    > Wait.
    >
    > What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    I'm pretty sure that any answer you get here would be pure speculation
    (and/or a conspiracy theory). Have you tried asking them directly?
    --
    "Klaatu borada n... necktie... nickel... It's an "N" word, it's
    definitely an "N" word!"

    Tarkus, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Gary

    kaydigi Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
    > Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
    > but
    > its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
    >
    > What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    Don't do it on Tuesday do it on Monday. Netflix processes Tuesday releases
    on Monday. OTOH I did have Spiderman 2 as Shortwait on Wed but shipped out
    today.

    kaydigi, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Gary

    JWB Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
    > Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
    > but
    > its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
    >
    > What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies that I
    *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local video store.

    JWB, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Gary

    kaydigi Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
    >> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
    >> but
    >> its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
    >>
    >> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    > I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies that
    > I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local video
    > store.

    You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
    turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
    Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
    #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

    kaydigi, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Gary

    JWB Guest

    "kaydigi" <> wrote in message

    > "JWB" <> wrote in message
    >> "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >>> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
    >>> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
    >>> but
    >>> its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
    >>>
    >>> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    >> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies
    >> that I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local
    >> video store.
    >>

    > You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
    > turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
    > Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
    > #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

    I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting the
    movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be bothered with
    trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on anything.

    JWB, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Gary

    kaydigi Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > "kaydigi" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JWB" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Gary" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies
    >>> that I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local
    >>> video store.
    >>>

    >> You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
    >> turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
    >> Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
    >> #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

    > I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting
    > the movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be bothered
    > with trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on anything.

    Lose out is the wrong word, I should say why rent a title for 4 bucks while
    paying a netflix subscription? But I do understand what your saying, if
    Spiderman 2 would have been on a short wait today, I would have gotten it
    from the store because it's a high profile title.

    kaydigi, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Gary

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, JWB
    <> wrote:

    > "kaydigi" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "JWB" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > >> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies
    > >> that I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local
    > >> video store.
    > >>

    > > You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
    > > turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
    > > Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
    > > #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

    > I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting the
    > movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be bothered with
    > trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on anything.

    Netflix is for films you don't care when you'll see. For videos you
    want to watch tonight, the local rental store is the way to go :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Gary

    JWB Guest

    "kaydigi" <> wrote in message

    > "JWB" <> wrote in message
    >> "kaydigi" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "JWB" <> wrote in message

    >>> You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
    >>> turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
    >>> Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release
    >>> at #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

    >> I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting
    >> the movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be
    >> bothered with trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on
    >> anything.
    >>

    > Lose out is the wrong word, I should say why rent a title for 4 bucks
    > while paying a netflix subscription? But I do understand what your saying,
    > if Spiderman 2 would have been on a short wait today, I would have gotten
    > it from the store because it's a high profile title.

    That's kinda what I meant. There are some movies I don't want to buy, but
    the do interest me enough that I want to see them as soon as they come out.
    For these few titles, I'd rather rent them from my local store (only $2.50
    too) than fiddle with my netflix queue and make sure I have one ready to
    send back on Sat.

    Netflix handles almost all of my rentals, but I do still enjoy browsing the
    rental store from time to time and getting a movie.

    JWB, Dec 2, 2004
  10. In article <kxtrd.10789$xk5.10681@trnddc09>,
    "kaydigi" <> wrote:

    > You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
    > turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
    > Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
    > #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

    This is *exactly* what I do and I have not missed a SINGLE new release
    one time in three years. That's something close to like 100 titles.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 2, 2004
  11. In article <x9trd.5935$Hk6.840@trnddc05>,
    "kaydigi" <> wrote:

    > Don't do it on Tuesday do it on Monday. Netflix processes Tuesday releases
    > on Monday. OTOH I did have Spiderman 2 as Shortwait on Wed but shipped out
    > today.

    Actually you need to do it on Friday. They don't process on Saturday so
    the videos received on Saturday are dealt with first and the videos that
    are received on Monday will generally lose out.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 2, 2004
  12. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
    > Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
    > but
    > its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
    >
    > What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

    Netshitts has shills who post here a lot and will tell you Netflix never
    does any such thing, even though it's quite clear they do.
    So, take any pro-Netflix answers with a truckload of salt.

    Incremental Jones, Dec 2, 2004
  13. Gary

    kaydigi Guest

    "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <x9trd.5935$Hk6.840@trnddc05>,
    > "kaydigi" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't do it on Tuesday do it on Monday. Netflix processes Tuesday
    >> releases
    >> on Monday. OTOH I did have Spiderman 2 as Shortwait on Wed but shipped
    >> out
    >> today.

    > Actually you need to do it on Friday. They don't process on Saturday so
    > the videos received on Saturday are dealt with first and the videos that
    > are received on Monday will generally lose out.

    I meant saturday so on monday they process Tuesday's releases.

    kaydigi, Dec 2, 2004
  14. In article <IjKrd.12050$xk5.11904@trnddc09>,
    "kaydigi" <> wrote:

    > "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > > Actually you need to do it on Friday. They don't process on Saturday so
    > > the videos received on Saturday are dealt with first and the videos that
    > > are received on Monday will generally lose out.

    > I meant saturday so on monday they process Tuesday's releases.

    But that's exactly what I meant - the disc needs to be at the Netflix
    hub *ON* Saturday to get the release as they will process those first on
    Monday. If you mail on Saturday (assuming your distance from the hub
    makes it possible to have the disc get there in one day) they get the
    disc Monday also but your chances of getting a new, high-profile release
    goes down to almost zero.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Gary

    Tarkus Guest

    On 12/2/2004 11:47:52 AM, kaydigi wrote:

    > "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <x9trd.5935$Hk6.840@trnddc05>,
    >> "kaydigi" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Don't do it on Tuesday do it on Monday. Netflix processes Tuesday
    >>> releases on Monday. OTOH I did have Spiderman 2 as Shortwait on Wed
    >>> but shipped out today.

    >> Actually you need to do it on Friday. They don't process on Saturday
    >> so the videos received on Saturday are dealt with first and the
    >> videos that are received on Monday will generally lose out.

    > I meant saturday so on monday they process Tuesday's releases.

    And he meant Friday, so that on Monday they process Tuesday's releases
    for you first. Personally, I'm not sure it makes a difference, but the
    point was, either way they're going to process Tuesday's releases for
    you, but the theory is that they process Saturday deliveries first ON
    MONDAY.
    --
    "What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating
    machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is

    Tarkus, Dec 2, 2004
  16. In article <1lpyj3tq3pc87$9.com>,
    Tarkus <> wrote:

    > Personally, I'm not sure it makes a difference,

    For the record, I tried it a couple of times and it did cause me to not
    get the release on that occasion.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 2, 2004