Netflix kills their "Releasing This Week" list

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by PapaBear, Dec 25, 2007.

  1. PapaBear

    PapaBear Guest

    I've been using the Netflix "Releasing This Week" list for almost a year,
    but couldn't access it on their website today. So I called Netflix customer
    service on the telephone, and sure enough, it has been officially dropped
    from their website. There has been no better or quicker way to scan and
    evaluate new weekly movie rental releases, so naturally I registered my
    strong objections with them, FWIW.

    The Blockbuster website has almost the same list as Netflix, but doesn't
    have automatic popups to give the important movie info. Also the Blockbuster
    movie info is generally inferior in design and content to the Netflix info,
    IMHO. The main thing I want to see quickly are the date when it become
    available to rent, rating, year the movie was released, main actor names,
    length in minutes or hours, color or black & white, genre(s), aspect ratio,
    and a very brief description. Blockbuster's info is too lengthy, while being
    incomplete and imprecise.

    With the Netflix "Releasing This Week" list, I could usually scan and
    evaluate everything (perhaps 50-100 moves) in only 5-10 minutes. Now it will
    take me at least an hour, perhaps two, to do the same thing by other means.

    I'll probably end up copying the Blockbuster release list to a notepad, then
    enter each of those movie titles into the Netflix search box. That will work
    reasonably OK, just take a lot longer. But of course it will miss some new
    Netflix releases, because they sometimes have more new titles than
    Blockbuster.

    So what's their rationale? Are they deliberately trying to discourage rental
    of new movie releases? Or are they shooting themselves in the foot out of
    pure stupidity??

    PapaBear, Dec 25, 2007

  2. PapaBear wrote:

    > So what's their rationale? Are they deliberately trying to discourage rental
    > of new movie releases? Or are they shooting themselves in the foot out of
    > pure stupidity??

    I guess they assumed everyone was already using the RSS feed by now:
    feed://rss.netflix.com/NewReleasesRSS

    Derek Janssen (let's see, that's three groups now we've had to post the
    link)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 25, 2007

  3. PapaBear

    GREG NIEMI Guest

    the feed has not been updated for 2 months

    GREG NIEMI, Dec 25, 2007
  4. GREG NIEMI wrote:

    >>>So what's their rationale? Are they deliberately trying to discourage
    >>>rental
    >>>of new movie releases? Or are they shooting themselves in the foot out of
    >>>pure stupidity??

    >>I guess they assumed everyone was already using the RSS feed by now:
    >>feed://rss.netflix.com/NewReleasesRSS

    > the feed has not been updated for 2 months

    What, the "New Releases This Week" feed?
    Been pretty faithful every Sunday, yesterday included (if you can call
    Jackass 2.5 and Brothers Solomon "major" releases).

    I know there's more than one Netflix feed, but never subscribed to the
    others.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 25, 2007
  5. PapaBear

    GREG NIEMI Guest

    I looked at rss.netflix on the news groups

    GREG NIEMI, Dec 25, 2007
  6. GREG NIEMI wrote:
    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    > I looked at rss.netflix on the news groups

    Well, that's odd, as you usually need an RSS reader or enabled web
    browser (eg. Safari 2.0, if you're on MacOSX/Windows), not a Usenet
    reader...
    Are you sure we're talking about the right thing?

    Derek Janssen (he asked, automatically assuming we're not)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 25, 2007
  7. PapaBear

    GREG NIEMI Guest

    I have outlook express, if you put in netflix, it will come up rss.netflix

    GREG NIEMI, Dec 25, 2007
  8. PapaBear

    PapaBear Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > PapaBear wrote:
    >>
    >> So what's their rationale? Are they deliberately trying to discourage
    >> rental
    >> of new movie releases? Or are they shooting themselves in the foot out of
    >> pure stupidity??

    > I guess they assumed everyone was already using the RSS feed by now:
    > feed://rss.netflix.com/NewReleasesRSS

    I've been fiddling with computers for about 25 years as a hobby, but there's
    still a lot I don't know. Obviously I'm not a computer genius. For example,
    I hear a lot about Ipods, and I guess I'll learn about them eventually, but
    at this point have no idea what they are. Similarly, I know nothing about
    RSS. If it will provide the same thing as the former "Releasing This Week"
    on the Netflix website, I'm very interested, of course. But...how do I make
    it work?

    If I enter "feed://rss.netflix.com/NewReleasesRSS" into my IE6 browser
    address window, it says "The page cannot be displayed". If I replace "feed"
    with "http", it only gives a bunch of technical computer code. I'm all
    ears...

    PapaBear, Dec 25, 2007
  9. PapaBear

    PapaBear Guest

    I sorta figured it out using something called Google Reader, and managed to
    get a RSS feed subscription to Netflix new releases. But it's not the same
    as was on the Netflix website as "Releasing This Week", because it doesn't
    have the automatic popup movie descriptions when hovering over a movie, they
    aren't organized into a simple list of genres, etc. It's far less
    satisfactory. I'm not happy with it. I believe RSS is far too technical for
    the ordinary person to access it. As you can see, I'm capable of such
    things, but I'm already straining my brain beyond belief. I fear apoplexy if
    I continue with such complications... :)

    PapaBear, Dec 25, 2007
  10. PapaBear

    Kuskokwim Guest

    Kuskokwim, Dec 25, 2007
  11. PapaBear

    PapaBear Guest

    "Kuskokwim" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 00:24:03 GMT, PapaBear wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using the Netflix "Releasing This Week" list for almost a year,
    >> but couldn't access it on their website today.

    > Try this:
    > http://www.netflix.com/AllNewReleases?lnkctr=NavAllNewReleases
    >
    > Also Hacking Netflix - scroll down:
    > http://www.hackingnetflix.com/

    Thanks very much for the links and info.

    The "AllNewReleases" link above is analogous to the former "Releasing This
    Week" page on their website. It has the automatic popup movie descriptions
    with ratings etc by hovering over a movie link, and it also organizes the
    movies into categories/genres, which are both very important design features
    for user friendliness. But it is obviously severely pruned. It only shows 14
    releases for this week, whereas there were usually 50-100 (or so)
    categorized new weekly releases on the former "Releasing This Week" page. If
    they'll expand it (more listings), it will work OK. But why are they hiding
    it? There seems to be no way to access it except by knowing the link
    beforehand!?

    I've looked at the Netflix RSS feeds now with Google Reader, and they suck.
    They're just a sequential listing, uncategorized, no popup descriptions,
    etc.

    PapaBear, Dec 25, 2007
  12. PapaBear

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 08:25:58 GMT, PapaBear wrote:

    > for user friendliness. But it is obviously severely pruned. It only shows 14
    > releases for this week,

    Probably because only 14 were released by the studios this week because of
    the holidays. Usually it shows 80 - 100, or so.

    Kuskokwim, Dec 25, 2007
  13. PapaBear

    foxtrot7 Guest

    "Kuskokwim" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 08:25:58 GMT, PapaBear wrote:
    >> for user friendliness. But it is obviously severely pruned. It only shows
    >> 14
    >> releases for this week,

    > Probably because only 14 were released by the studios this week because of
    > the holidays. Usually it shows 80 - 100, or so.

    are they going to keep the 'allnewreleases' link and update it in future
    ?

    foxtrot7, Dec 25, 2007