Netflix is reverting to Nutfux.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jamie Town, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Jamie Town

    Jamie Town Guest

    Anyone else notice a sudden rise in erratic delivery/receipt times at
    Netflix (California area)?

    I signed up for Netflix (for the second time) back in October of 2003
    and it's been relatively good. A few unexplained delays of a few days
    here and there but nothing that would make me cancel (again).
    Unfortunately, they've gone downhill this month. As usual, it's all
    the fault of the post office. ;^>

    On 2/3, I dropped three movies into the collection box at the post
    office. Same box, same day. Only one movie was received on time.
    The other two took an additional _4_ days to get checked in. By then,
    I'd reported them missing. When I checked my queue, I expected to see
    the next two movies listed as "shipped" or "shipping today". What I
    saw was "shipping today" and "shipping <today+1>". Now why on earth
    would _one_ of my titles be delayed but not the other? Why would
    anything be backed up at all? There are over 200 in-stock titles in
    my queue. That doesn't make any sense at all. I complained via email
    and, tho I didn't receive a response that day, both titles supposedly
    shipped by the afternoon.

    However, only one showed up in the normal 2 days. The other (the one
    initially flagged for delay) didn't arrive for 4 days. I was going to
    mark it as missing if it hadn't arrived on the 4th day because I've
    _never_ had one take that long.

    Additionally, my normal 1-2 day delivery time seems to have stretched
    to 2-3 days. I've got about 3 months of history showing every single
    disc arriving in 1 or 2 days. So far, I've only had 2 discs arrive in
    2 days this month. Everything else has been 3 days or longer.

    Until this month I've [almost] been able to set my clock by Netflix.
    I'd get a shipping notice and _know_ that I'd have a DVD in 2 days.
    Maybe 1. Ship it back and I'd _know_ they'd receive it in 2 days. 2
    days later, I'd have the next one. Like clockwork. But this month
    has been downright bad.

    So am I alone in this or are other California people seeing erratic
    behavior this month?

    Jamie
    Jamie Town, Feb 17, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    (Jamie Town) wrote:

    > So am I alone in this or are other California people seeing erratic
    > behavior this month?

    Not here (Santa Ana hub).
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Jamie Town

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Jamie Town" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone else notice a sudden rise in erratic delivery/receipt times
    > at Netflix (California area)?

    No problem with the San José center.
    Scot Gardner, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Jamie Town

    Becky Guest

    (Jamie Town) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Anyone else notice a sudden rise in erratic delivery/receipt times at
    > Netflix (California area)?
    >
    > I signed up for Netflix (for the second time) back in October of 2003
    > and it's been relatively good. A few unexplained delays of a few days
    > here and there but nothing that would make me cancel (again).
    > Unfortunately, they've gone downhill this month.
    >
    > So am I alone in this or are other California people seeing erratic
    > behavior this month?
    >
    > Jamie

    I'm not in CA, but I have a theory. It could be that the movies you've
    selected are being shipped, not from the nearest, but the
    second-nearest distribution center. That's what they do if they don't
    have your title in stock at the local DC. They look to other DCs in a
    progressively wider circle until they find one with your title. It
    could just be because of your unique taste in movies.
    Becky, Feb 18, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    (Becky) wrote:

    > I'm not in CA, but I have a theory. It could be that the movies you've
    > selected are being shipped, not from the nearest, but the
    > second-nearest distribution center.

    Correct - or even further - wherever the available disc is located. I am
    able to use the program NETFLIX FREAK to manage my renting and it will
    show movies coming from the different centers in its estimation of
    delivery date. Not all discs will show up as taking the same amount of
    time to reach me.
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Jamie Town

    Jamie Town Guest

    (Becky) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Jamie Town) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm not in CA, but I have a theory. It could be that the movies you've
    > selected are being shipped, not from the nearest, but the
    > second-nearest distribution center. That's what they do if they don't
    > have your title in stock at the local DC. They look to other DCs in a
    > progressively wider circle until they find one with your title. It
    > could just be because of your unique taste in movies.

    I certainly hope not. It wouldn't make much sense at all after going
    to the trouble (and expense!) of setting up all those distribution
    centers specifically to reduce shipping times. I'd rather have them
    skip ahead to the next _locally_ available title in my 200+ queue than
    wait an extra day or two. And it doesn't explain the delay their
    receipt of several titles. All of the movies I get currently have a
    return address of Oxnard, CA so there's no reason for them to have
    variation in transit times. It's not like some are being returned to
    New York.

    I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them for another month and
    decide what to do about it.

    Jamie
    Jamie Town, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Jamie Town

    TVholic Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:37:17 GMT, Jamie Town <> wrote:

    > I'd rather have them skip ahead to the next _locally_ available
    > title in my 200+ queue than wait an extra day or two.

    They tried that for a brief period, and most people hated it.
    TVholic, Feb 20, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    (Jamie Town) wrote:

    > All of the movies I get currently have a
    > return address of Oxnard, CA so there's no reason for them to have
    > variation in transit times.

    Note the word "return"; that is not necessarily the address the title
    eminates from.
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Jamie Town

    Jamie Town Guest

    Reginald Dwight <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Jamie Town) wrote:
    >
    > > All of the movies I get currently have a
    > > return address of Oxnard, CA so there's no reason for them to have
    > > variation in transit times.

    > Note the word "return"; that is not necessarily the address the title
    > eminates from.

    Geez. Did you go out of your way to take that out of context? :)

    "And it doesn't explain the delay their
    receipt of several titles. All of the movies I get currently have a
    return address of Oxnard, CA so there's no reason for them to have
    variation in transit times. It's not like some are being returned to
    New York."

    While my grammar may have been a bit off (should have been ...explain
    the delay of their receipt...), my point was pretty clear. The
    "varying distribution centers" theory only explains delays in _one_
    direction. I'm experiencing delays in _both_ directions despite the
    fact that everything is returned to Oxnard regardless of its origin.

    Unless the discs are first going to Oxnard then being rerouted to
    their original locations before being checked in...

    Jamie
    Jamie Town, Feb 21, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    (Jamie Town) wrote:

    > Geez. Did you go out of your way to take that out of context? :)

    No. I misread it and realised my error and cancelled the article
    imediately. It obviously got through to your server though. Sorry.
    Reginald Dwight, Feb 22, 2004
  11. Jamie Town

    Jamie Town Guest

    Reginald Dwight <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Jamie Town) wrote:
    >
    > > Geez. Did you go out of your way to take that out of context? :)

    > No. I misread it and realised my error and cancelled the article
    > imediately. It obviously got through to your server though. Sorry.

    It served a good purpose, tho. It got me thinking about the
    possibility that the discs may be forwarded from Oxnard to their
    initial distribution centers before being checked in. I probably
    wouldn't have hit on that possibility if I hadn't given it extra
    thought as a result of your post.

    Jamie
    Jamie Town, Feb 22, 2004