    subsequent disks, and it would keep them from having to buy too many
    complete sets.

    , Nov 14, 2005

  2. Alpha Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    > has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    > for about 3 months. Yet Alias season 4 disk #1 was Very long wait out
    > of the gate, and I received that within the first week of its release.
    > Just how many people are ahead of me when the wait is "long"? Is
    > everyone who's got it not returning it so they can watch it over and
    > over?
    >
    > Netflix might want to have extra first disks of series made especially
    > for them, since those obviously will have more renters than the
    > subsequent disks, and it would keep them from having to buy too many
    > complete sets.

    Netflix is not a pay for play on demand entity. Got it?

    Why don't you buy the series discs?

    Alpha, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Justin Guest

    wrote on [14 Nov 2005 00:08:26 -0800]:
    > The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    > has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    > for about 3 months.

    Hmmmm, since it's only been available for 2 months... Maybe you're
    exaggerating some.

    Justin, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Bratboy Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > wrote on [14 Nov 2005 00:08:26 -0800]:
    >> The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    >> has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    >> for about 3 months.

    > Hmmmm, since it's only been available for 2 months... Maybe you're
    > exaggerating some.

    Well since you can usually add unreleased titles to your Que he could quite
    honestly have something in que for a month or 2 before its even out. I have
    several titles in mine that are not even due out for another month or so but
    Netflix already has em in its db & I was allowed to add to my que.

    Bratboy, Nov 14, 2005
  5. gunner Guest

    Unreleased discs are carried in the "Saved" section section of your Queue.
    They don't go into your regular Queue until they are available. Lost was
    only released a couple of months ago so wouldn't have shown as long wait
    three months ago. I rented disc one from Albertson's the day it was
    released and got the rest of the series from Netflix withing two weeks of
    release date. Find something else to bitch about.

    Gunner

    gunner, Nov 14, 2005
  6. Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:40:42 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    > wrote on [14 Nov 2005 00:08:26 -0800]:
    >> The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    >> has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    >> for about 3 months.

    >Hmmmm, since it's only been available for 2 months... Maybe you're
    >exaggerating some.

    I don't think he necessarily is. You should put your requests for new
    movies at the top of the queue as soon as they are listed. That way
    you enhance your chances of getting the first round.

    I know because I discussed this very matter with a Netflix customer
    service representative. Now I know.

    --

    BOYCOTT SONY!

    SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

    HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

    YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  7. k Guest

    (Bob) wrote in news:4378d4ee.17188718@news-
    server.houston.rr.com:

    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:40:42 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote on [14 Nov 2005 00:08:26 -0800]:
    >>> The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    >>> has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    >>> for about 3 months.

    >>Hmmmm, since it's only been available for 2 months... Maybe you're
    >>exaggerating some.

    > I don't think he necessarily is. You should put your requests for new
    > movies at the top of the queue as soon as they are listed. That way
    > you enhance your chances of getting the first round.
    >
    > I know because I discussed this very matter with a Netflix customer
    > service representative. Now I know.

    now if they only could ship DVDs that are not scratched anb can play

    k, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Biz Guest

    "k" <> wrote in message
    > now if they only could ship DVDs that are not scratched anb can play

    Thats not really NetFlix's fault now is it? The more popular the service
    becomes the more jackass customers they get that dont give a shit about the
    disks because they are just rentals..

    Biz, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:54:39 -0800, "gunner"
    <> wrote:

    >Unreleased discs are carried in the "Saved" section section of your Queue.

    For a while.

    >They don't go into your regular Queue until they are available

    Not true.

    I put SG1 Atlantis in Saved when I first found out it was going to be
    released on DVD, and then Netflix moved to the bottom of the Queue
    about 2 weeks before the official release and I put it at top of the
    Queue. The release date is 11/15 yet because I had it on top of the
    Queue for so long, Netflix is shipping it one day early. I will get it
    tomorrow.

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  10. Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:27:42 GMT, k <> wrote:

    >now if they only could ship DVDs that are not scratched anb can play

    They rely on customers to report such conditions. I got one Saturday
    that would play but it looked pretty beat up. So as a courtesy to the
    next customer who would have gotten it and possible not able to play
    it, I reported it damaged. Now it will be taken out of circulation
    because someone will take a look at it and see that it is overly worn
    and scratched. I doubt they will try to play it - it is not worth the
    time to review the entire disc.

    If you get a disc that belongs in the trash, tell Netflix even if your
    el cheapo player will play it (cheap players will play almost anything
    - it's the good players that are picky).

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  11. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Alpha <>
    wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    > > has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    > > for about 3 months. Yet Alias season 4 disk #1 was Very long wait out
    > > of the gate, and I received that within the first week of its release.
    > > Just how many people are ahead of me when the wait is "long"? Is
    > > everyone who's got it not returning it so they can watch it over and
    > > over?
    > >
    > > Netflix might want to have extra first disks of series made especially
    > > for them, since those obviously will have more renters than the
    > > subsequent disks, and it would keep them from having to buy too many
    > > complete sets.
    > >

    > Netflix is not a pay for play on demand entity. Got it?

    Still, what they decide to send can be annoying. I have the first disk
    of Connections 2 at the top of my queue and listed as avalible, yet
    they've sent 7 disks listed below it so far. Maybe if I remove
    everything from the queue but that series...

    > Why don't you buy the series discs?

    Possibly because either he wants to watch the pilot to see if the show
    is something he'd like, or he feels that the series is worth ~$10 (half
    a month's rentals on Netflix) but not what buying the show would cost.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Nonymous Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:54:39 -0800, "gunner"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Unreleased discs are carried in the "Saved" section section of your Queue.

    > For a while.
    >
    >>They don't go into your regular Queue until they are available

    > Not true.
    >
    > I put SG1 Atlantis in Saved when I first found out it was going to be
    > released on DVD, and then Netflix moved to the bottom of the Queue
    > about 2 weeks before the official release and I put it at top of the
    > Queue. The release date is 11/15 yet because I had it on top of the
    > Queue for so long, Netflix is shipping it one day early. I will get it
    > tomorrow.

    Yes, Netflix will move titles from "Saved" to "Queue" before they're
    actually released, but they do this *weeks* ahead of time, not *months*.
    You're nitpicking.

    Nonymous, Nov 15, 2005
  13. Guest

    Re: Netflix: how long is long?

    Actually, my question was less about complaining than it was about
    guaging how many people are ahead of me when the wait is "Short",
    "Long", and "Very long". The quickness of Alias 4's first disk was
    striking compared to Lost. In Alias' case, I got it first week of
    availability. For Lost, I'm still waiting. Both started out as "Very
    long". I'm just curious, that's all.

    , Nov 15, 2005
  14. Re: Netflix: how long is long?

    wrote:

    > Actually, my question was less about complaining than it was about
    > guaging how many people are ahead of me when the wait is "Short",
    > "Long", and "Very long". The quickness of Alias 4's first disk was
    > striking compared to Lost. In Alias' case, I got it first week of
    > availability. For Lost, I'm still waiting. Both started out as "Very
    > long".

    When they start out as "Very Long", that's usually Netflix-ese for "Give
    us another couple weeks to actually acquisition a copy into our stores"--

    "Long Wait" often means they've *maybe* got one available but not
    locally, and they're not sure which regional center to take the trouble
    to import from while you've got other titles on your queue that are
    locally available...
    While "Short Wait" means it's a busy title and there's a, erm...short wait.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 15, 2005
  15. Invid Fan Guest

    Re: Netflix: how long is long?

    In article <_gbef.24302$>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Actually, my question was less about complaining than it was about
    > > guaging how many people are ahead of me when the wait is "Short",
    > > "Long", and "Very long". The quickness of Alias 4's first disk was
    > > striking compared to Lost. In Alias' case, I got it first week of
    > > availability. For Lost, I'm still waiting. Both started out as "Very
    > > long".

    > When they start out as "Very Long", that's usually Netflix-ese for "Give
    > us another couple weeks to actually acquisition a copy into our stores"--

    I've seen enough titles go from "available" to "very long" and back
    again to think it means they have one copy, and it'll just depend on if
    anyone else is waiting for it when it's in and you're ready for a disk.

    (Hmm, the disk they've skipped in my queue despite being "available"
    for the past two weeks just went to "very long wait". Wonderful...)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 15, 2005
  16. Postal! Guest

    Re: Netflix: how long is long?

    When you got the Alias disc, was that a week where you had at least one
    disk back to them on a Monday morning? I find that if I return a disk to
    them on a Monday morning, I will get whatever new releases I have at the
    top of my queue which are released the following day. If i miss that
    window, new releases at the top of my queue will rot in "Long Wait" or
    "Very Long Wait" for weeks or months.

    Postal!, Nov 15, 2005
  17. Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:44:48 -0500, "Nonymous" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:54:39 -0800, "gunner"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Unreleased discs are carried in the "Saved" section section of your Queue.

    >> For a while.
    >>
    >>>They don't go into your regular Queue until they are available

    >> Not true.
    >>
    >> I put SG1 Atlantis in Saved when I first found out it was going to be
    >> released on DVD, and then Netflix moved to the bottom of the Queue
    >> about 2 weeks before the official release and I put it at top of the
    >> Queue. The release date is 11/15 yet because I had it on top of the
    >> Queue for so long, Netflix is shipping it one day early. I will get it
    >> tomorrow.

    >Yes, Netflix will move titles from "Saved" to "Queue" before they're
    >actually released, but they do this *weeks* ahead of time, not *months*.
    >You're nitpicking.

    Where did I say anything about months?

    Your reply makes no sense in the context of this discussion.

    Bob, Nov 15, 2005
  18. Bob Guest

    Re: Netflix: how long is long?

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:05:01 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >When they start out as "Very Long", that's usually Netflix-ese for "Give
    >us another couple weeks to actually acquisition a copy into our stores"--

    BSG has been on VL wait for over a month.

    Bob, Nov 15, 2005
  19. Gary Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The first disks of TV series naturally take forever. But Lost disk 1
    > has been #1 on my queue for about 5 months, and has been "Long wait"
    > for about 3 months. Yet Alias season 4 disk #1 was Very long wait out
    > of the gate, and I received that within the first week of its release.
    > Just how many people are ahead of me when the wait is "long"? Is
    > everyone who's got it not returning it so they can watch it over and
    > over?
    >
    > Netflix might want to have extra first disks of series made especially
    > for them, since those obviously will have more renters than the
    > subsequent disks, and it would keep them from having to buy too many
    > complete sets.

    NETFLIX workers probably do very little to press buttons that affect you
    personally. Its the algorithm(s) coded into programs that weighs everything,
    availability, cost of inventory, stocking and restocking, shipping, how many
    you rented this month regards your plan and on and on and on. Then...Blip...
    you get something sent to you.

    Gary, Nov 18, 2005
  20. so57th Guest

    Re: Netflix: how long is long?

    When most DVDs were selling in the $15 to $25 range I thought Netflix
    was a great deal. Now that you can buy most DVDs new for $5 to $15
    it seems much easier just to buy them. Keep what you like and sell off
    the ones you don't like.
    Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/

    so57th, Nov 18, 2005