Netflix Heavy-User / Etiquette question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Squareness Wafer, May 12, 2004.

  1. Just started using Netflix and finding it extremely convenient. I
    return a movie on monday, and i receive the next movie in the mail on
    wednesday... couldn't ask for better service!

    The question i have is concerning heavy users. Before i signed up, i
    was aware of a perceived problem from heavy-users claiming that
    netflix would try methods to slow down their usage (by claiming dvd's
    lost, or delaying shipment, etc...). Do people still have these
    problems?

    Also, i could potentially watch over 20 movies on the 3-out plan,
    since i am getting super fast turnaround at the moment. i also have
    plenty of time to watch a film almost everyday, so i can generally
    receive a movie, watch it, and return it the next day. I'd like to
    continue using netflix cuz it is so convenient, but i don't want to be
    flagged as a problem/heavy-user by the company (if such a thing
    actually even happens in the first place).

    This is also a question regarding etiquette towards the company, i
    suppose. i don't want to exploit the service (i know it's not really
    my problem, since it's all within their rules). Is, say, 14 movies a
    month considered heavy usage (being unprofitable for the company)?

    I'm just wondering what people's experiences were. I've read a lot on
    this forum regarding this issue, but most of it was a couple of years
    ago, so i'm curious about more recent testimonies? Thanks!

    Squareness Wafer, May 12, 2004

  2. Squareness Wafer

    lrulan Guest

    "Squareness Wafer" <> wrote in message
    > Just started using Netflix and finding it extremely convenient. I
    > return a movie on monday, and i receive the next movie in the mail on
    > wednesday... couldn't ask for better service!
    >
    > The question i have is concerning heavy users. Before i signed up, i
    > was aware of a perceived problem from heavy-users claiming that
    > netflix would try methods to slow down their usage (by claiming dvd's
    > lost, or delaying shipment, etc...). Do people still have these
    > problems?
    >
    > Also, i could potentially watch over 20 movies on the 3-out plan,
    > since i am getting super fast turnaround at the moment. i also have
    > plenty of time to watch a film almost everyday, so i can generally
    > receive a movie, watch it, and return it the next day. I'd like to
    > continue using netflix cuz it is so convenient, but i don't want to be
    > flagged as a problem/heavy-user by the company (if such a thing
    > actually even happens in the first place).
    >
    > This is also a question regarding etiquette towards the company, i
    > suppose. i don't want to exploit the service (i know it's not really
    > my problem, since it's all within their rules). Is, say, 14 movies a
    > month considered heavy usage (being unprofitable for the company)?
    >
    > I'm just wondering what people's experiences were. I've read a lot on
    > this forum regarding this issue, but most of it was a couple of years
    > ago, so i'm curious about more recent testimonies? Thanks!

    My experience lately is not that they claim 'lost in the mail' but they do
    ship out my next dvd more slowly than before. So, once I was getting dvds
    almost everyday but now I get them 2-3 times a week, in spite of returning
    dvds the day after I receive them. They seem to be pacing the mailing out of
    the discs, no matter what plan you're on.

    lrulan, May 13, 2004

  3. Squareness Wafer

    Goro Guest

    (Squareness Wafer) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Just started using Netflix and finding it extremely convenient. I
    > return a movie on monday, and i receive the next movie in the mail on
    > wednesday... couldn't ask for better service!
    >
    > The question i have is concerning heavy users. Before i signed up, i
    > was aware of a perceived problem from heavy-users claiming that
    > netflix would try methods to slow down their usage (by claiming dvd's
    > lost, or delaying shipment, etc...). Do people still have these
    > problems?

    the turnaround has been getting slower and slower for me here in
    Phoenix metro-area. I send in a movie on Sunday (monday mail) and
    then get my new ones by thurs or fri these days. i notice that
    recently i'll get dvds in "Will ship soon"-mode for 1-2 days now
    before getting shipped to me. also, seems like my locla mail might be
    slowing down a bit too as sometimes a disc will take 2-3 days to enter
    "received"-mode at netflix.

    so i'm basically down to 3 movies a week, which still isn't bad for
    $22, but still a bit frustrating, mostly b/c it used to be so much
    faster about 6months ago.

    Goro, May 14, 2004
  4. Squareness Wafer

    Del March Guest

    << The question i have is concerning heavy users. Before i signed up, i
    was aware of a perceived problem from heavy-users claiming that
    netflix would try methods to slow down their usage (by claiming dvd's
    lost, or delaying shipment, etc...). Do people still have these
    problems? >><BR><BR>
    It is my experience that yes, if you habitually return the discs quickly, they
    start to drag out their responses. Two days ago, they sent me the wrong disc
    in the right sleeve. I reported it immediately. My queue reflects that I
    reported the problem, but two days later, the queue hasn't updated to show that
    they've bothered to send a replacement. And now that it's the weekend, that
    will probably stretch out to 4 days.

    It really peeves me that when they make a mistake, they give it the same
    turnaround, which effectively cheats you out of the 3-at-once notion for a
    short period. I think if they send the wrong disc, they should immediately
    send out the correct one, even if I haven't yet returned the bad one.

    Del March, May 22, 2004