netflix faces uncertain future (o)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by kilroy bass, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. kilroy bass

    kilroy bass Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/65o3c

    based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.

    netflix made a damn big blunder when it raised subscription prices.
    starting november, its prices will be decreased to
    less than its original price before the hike. that is because
    blockbuster
    online has announced a price cut.

    netflix's stock share also has plummeted, based on news that its
    profit
    will be smaller or that it won't even make a profit in the next 6 -12
    months.

    I don't know how this will affect its partnership with tivo.

    I suggest you think about your netflix membership for the next 6
    months. When
    profit isn't made, job cuts will come, and as a result, your DVDs
    will be delayed, customer service will suck.

    kilroy bass, Oct 25, 2004

  2. kilroy bass

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, kilroy
    bass <> wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/65o3c
    >
    > based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    > DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    > amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.
    >
    > netflix made a damn big blunder when it raised subscription prices.

    Unless not raising them would have ment going out of business. We don't
    know the profit margins.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 25, 2004

  3. kilroy bass

    Warchild Guest

    In article <251020040042494662%>,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    > In article <>, kilroy
    > bass <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/65o3c
    > >
    > > based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    > > DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    > > amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.
    > >
    > > netflix made a damn big blunder when it raised subscription prices.

    > Unless not raising them would have ment going out of business. We don't
    > know the profit margins.

    Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up. It
    will be the customer's loss.

    Warchild, Oct 25, 2004
  4. kilroy bass) wrote:

    > I suggest you think about your netflix membership for the next 6
    > months. When profit isn't made, job cuts will come, and as a result,
    > your DVDs will be delayed, customer service will suck.

    If you weren't a shill, I'd think you were a shill.

    Bryce McQuern, Oct 25, 2004
  5. kilroy bass wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/65o3c
    >
    > based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    > DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    > amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.

    And (to similarly avoid verbs), the competitors are likely to follow
    Wal-Mart's example of cluelessly the big one. :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Warchild wrote:

    > Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    > prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    > none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    > may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up.

    ....By WHAT??? 0_0

    Derek Janssen (take that as a "Have you even TRIED the Netflix
    'competitors'?" question)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 25, 2004
  7. kilroy bass

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > Warchild wrote:
    >
    > > Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    > > prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    > > none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    > > may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up.

    > ...By WHAT??? 0_0
    >
    > Derek Janssen (take that as a "Have you even TRIED the Netflix
    > 'competitors'?" question)

    All the more reason someone with more money may try and buy them and
    slap their name on the company :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Warchild wrote:

    > Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    > prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    > none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    > may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up.

    <<...By WHAT??? 0_0>>

    While gazing into my crystal ball, I saw the following:

    Netflix's stock has plunged 75 percent during the last nine months,
    reflecting fears that the 5-year-old company is destined to become
    another dot-com pipe dream.

    Many industry analysts now view Netflix - with 2.2 million
    subscribers - as a prime takeover target, with Amazon and Yahoo
    Inc. shaping up as the most logical suitors.

    What's more, Netflix's market value has slipped to roughly $650
    million, down from more than $2 billion in late January.

    That's all for now, the crystal has gone dark.

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20041024/ap_on_bi_ge/netflix_showdown

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 25, 2004
  9. kilroy bass

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Warchild wrote:
    >
    >> Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    >> prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    >> none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower
    >> prices may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed
    >> up.

    > ...By WHAT??? 0_0
    >
    > Derek Janssen (take that as a "Have you even TRIED the Netflix
    > 'competitors'?" question)

    My bet: Amazon.com. And it would be wildly successful.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 25, 2004
  10. One-Shot Scot wrote:

    >>Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    >>prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    >>none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    >>may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up.

    > <<...By WHAT??? 0_0>>
    >

    > While gazing into my crystal ball, I saw the following:
    >
    > Netflix's stock has plunged 75 percent during the last nine months,
    > reflecting fears that the 5-year-old company is destined to become
    > another dot-com pipe dream.

    Tell that to EZ-D--
    They're still trying to come up with theories like "Maybe we didn't
    expose the disks in the right sales venues..."

    (And while you're at it, roll over Blockbuster, and tell HBO the news.)

    > That's all for now, the crystal has gone dark.

    Oh, dear--I'd better get back to my Aunt Em right away...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 25, 2004
  11. kilroy bass

    Eric R. Guest

    (kilroy bass) wrote in message news:<>...

    > based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    > DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    > amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.

    The problem with the big names so far is that they won't carry most
    unrated or NC-17 material, like Netflix. Until someone comes along
    that can even touch Netflix's catalog (and doesn't pull that
    Puritanical no NC-17 horsehit) Netflix will always have an advantage.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 25, 2004
  12. kilroy bass

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Eric R. wrote:
    > (kilroy bass) wrote in message
    >
    >> based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    >> DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    >> amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.

    > The problem with the big names so far is that they won't carry most
    > unrated or NC-17 material, like Netflix. Until someone comes along
    > that can even touch Netflix's catalog (and doesn't pull that
    > Puritanical no NC-17 horsehit) Netflix will always have an advantage.

    I doubt this has very much impact on the bottom line.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 25, 2004
  13. kilroy bass

    Dgates Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:06:14 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

    >Warchild wrote:
    >
    >> Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    >> prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    >> none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    >> may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up.

    ><<...By WHAT??? 0_0>>
    >

    >While gazing into my crystal ball, I saw the following:
    >
    > Netflix's stock has plunged 75 percent during the last nine months,
    > reflecting fears that the 5-year-old company is destined to become
    > another dot-com pipe dream.
    >
    > Many industry analysts now view Netflix - with 2.2 million
    > subscribers - as a prime takeover target, with Amazon and Yahoo
    > Inc. shaping up as the most logical suitors.
    >
    > What's more, Netflix's market value has slipped to roughly $650
    > million, down from more than $2 billion in late January.
    >
    >http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20041024/ap_on_bi_ge/netflix_showdown

    I thought crystal balls were for seeing the future. These sound like
    present day facts (and they even look reasonably well researched).

    I'd like to see NetFlix do well, but I would certainly settle for any
    other company that can do exactly what NetFlix currently does. And
    I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks per month if it means I get the
    larger, killer inventory to choose from.

    Dgates, Oct 25, 2004
  14. kilroy bass

    Jim Guest

    Eric R. wrote:

    > (kilroy bass) wrote in message
    >
    >> based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    >> DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    >> amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.

    > The problem with the big names so far is that they won't carry most
    > unrated or NC-17 material, like Netflix. Until someone comes along
    > that can even touch Netflix's catalog (and doesn't pull that
    > Puritanical no NC-17 horsehit) Netflix will always have an advantage.

    Who, exactly, has a no NC-17 policy? I just recently rented Bertolucci's
    "The Dreamers" from Walmart.com.

    Jim, Oct 25, 2004
  15. kilroy bass

    Warchild Guest

    In article <>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Warchild wrote:
    >
    > > Netflix is prepared to bite the bullet, as they have just lowered the
    > > prices. It is a shame, because while price competition may be high,
    > > none of the other services have Netflix's selection. The lower prices
    > > may very well mean that Netflix will go under or be swallowed up.

    > ...By WHAT??? 0_0
    >
    > Derek Janssen (take that as a "Have you even TRIED the Netflix
    > 'competitors'?" question)

    Would that be Wal-mart or Blockbuster? Are you going to suggest that
    they have the breath of selection that NetFlix provides? Seriously?

    Warchild, Oct 25, 2004
  16. kilroy bass

    Warchild Guest

    In article <cljsa0$op1$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    > Eric R. wrote:
    > > (kilroy bass) wrote in message
    > >
    > >> based on the article above, netflix faces an uncertain future in the
    > >> DVD online rental business. additional competitors, big names like
    > >> amazon and yahoo will soon to the market.

    > > The problem with the big names so far is that they won't carry most
    > > unrated or NC-17 material, like Netflix. Until someone comes along
    > > that can even touch Netflix's catalog (and doesn't pull that
    > > Puritanical no NC-17 horsehit) Netflix will always have an advantage.

    > I doubt this has very much impact on the bottom line.

    I am not interested in 'the bottom line'. I am interested in having a
    broad selection of films available to me. Wal-Mart and Blockbuster may
    compete on price, but they don't compete on selection. So who loses if
    NetFlix closes up, or if they are bought by a company headquartered in
    Florida?

    Warchild, Oct 25, 2004
  17. kilroy bass

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Warchild wrote:
    > In article <cljsa0$op1$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Eric R. wrote:
    >>> (kilroy bass) wrote in message

    >>> The problem with the big names so far is that they won't carry most
    >>> unrated or NC-17 material, like Netflix. Until someone comes along
    >>> that can even touch Netflix's catalog (and doesn't pull that
    >>> Puritanical no NC-17 horsehit) Netflix will always have an
    >>> advantage.

    >> I doubt this has very much impact on the bottom line.

    > I am not interested in 'the bottom line'. I am interested in having a
    > broad selection of films available to me. Wal-Mart and Blockbuster
    > may compete on price, but they don't compete on selection. So who
    > loses if NetFlix closes up, or if they are bought by a company
    > headquartered in Florida?

    I was responding to the statement, "Until someone comes along that can even
    touch Netflix's catalog (and doesn't pull that Puritanical no NC-17
    horsehit) Netflix will always have an advantage." I just don't see that as
    one of their big advantages in the marketplace.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 26, 2004
  18. "Dgates" <> wrote in message

    > I thought crystal balls were for seeing the future. These sound like
    > present day facts (and they even look reasonably well researched).

    Oh, no. Remember what Professor Marvel (acclaimed by the crowned heads
    of Europe) had printed on his covered wagon?

    "Let him read your past, present and future in his crystal."
    (Also juggling and sleight of hand.)

    Professor Marvel never guesses. He knows!

    And nobody can remember the name of Professor Marvel's horse, either.

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 26, 2004
  19. kilroy bass

    Karl S Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:09:14 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Any survivors here remember the pre-2001 Netflix?: The unpredictable
    >games of "title roulette" that kept you guessing what you'd actually be
    >sent next?...That reassuring "Long Wait" that made up half your queue?

    I've been a member since 1999 and experienced all of that. In spite of
    it, I always thought that Netflix was trying to do a good job but was
    having growing pains.

    I still think they are trying to do a good job.

    It has been an interesting five years.

    I live in an extremely remote town in rural Alaska, 400 miles from the
    nearest road system. Everything is flown in. In five years I have had
    only two lost DVD's.

    Karl S, Oct 26, 2004
  20. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > > And nobody can remember the name of Professor Marvel's horse,
    > > either.

    > Better get undercover, Sylvester, there's a storm blowing, a whopper--
    > To use the vernacular of the peasantry!

    > Derek Janssen (okay, so I cheated for the rest...It's a DVD group
    > anyway)

    If _The Wizard of Oz_ had been an exclusive Flexplay title, neither of
    us could have checked out these important facts without starting the
    countdown timer.

    I can't remember the number of times that I have put a DVD in the player
    to get a snippet of dialogue or to watch a key scene.

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 26, 2004