    their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    advice or comments about them?

    Thanks, in advance.

    Boris, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Boris

    Karl S Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:37:31 -0800, "Boris" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    >their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    >advice or comments about them?
    >
    >Thanks, in advance.

    I have been using them for 4-1/2 years and think they are terrific.

    Karl

    Karl S, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Boris

    luminos Guest

    "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:37:31 -0800, "Boris" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    > >their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    > >advice or comments about them?
    > >
    > >Thanks, in advance.
    > >

    > I have been using them for 4-1/2 years and think they are terrific.
    >
    > Karl

    If your post office doesn't steal the discs (mine does).

    luminos, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Boris

    Allan Cook Guest

    Pro:
    - Mail turn around time is very good (usually just a couple of days)
    - Great selection
    - Unreleased movies can be saved in your que
    - Good customer support for resolving lost / damaged disc issues

    Con:
    - If your slow to actually watch the movies, your wasting your money.
    - Some DVD's are mishandled by previous renters.
    - Make sure your mailbox is lockable :)

    Allan

    Allan Cook, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Boris

    Shadowspawn Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    >their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    >advice or comments about them?
    >
    >Thanks, in advance.

    Walmart is doing the same thing for $15 = your first 30 days is FREE

    Shadowspawn, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Boris

    Vic Canova Guest

    > Con:
    > - If your slow to actually watch the movies, your wasting your money.
    > - Some DVD's are mishandled by previous renters.
    > - Make sure your mailbox is lockable :)

    Yeah, I suppose there are minor advantages, but that says it all right
    there. The exchange will be fine until one of those realities burns
    you, and then you'll end up kicking yourself and hating Netflix for
    charging you for liabilities they don't advertise.

    Do youself a favor, apply that $20 monthly payment to discs you can
    call your own, and avoid any racket that retains credit card
    information and refuses to take phone calls from customers
    (convenience whores).

    Vic Canova, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Shadowspawn wrote:

    > Walmart is doing the same thing for $15 = your first 30 days is FREE

    Walmart is not doing the same thing. With Walmart, if a DVD is lost
    during shipping, then you have to pay for the DVD. With regular margin
    for postal error, plus dishonest postal employees and possibly dishonest
    Walmart employees, this is not a chance worth taking. Netflix does not
    have that policy of having to pay for DVD lost during shipping.

    BCA

    Brian C. Allen, Feb 24, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Shadowspawn <> wrote:

    > Walmart is doing the same thing for $15 = your first 30 days is FREE

    Oops...and he forgot to mention their selection is terrible.

    Urra Dipschitt, Feb 24, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    (Vic Canova) wrote:

    > Yeah, I suppose there are minor advantages, but that says it all right
    > there. The exchange will be fine until one of those realities burns
    > you, and then you'll end up kicking yourself and hating Netflix for
    > charging you for liabilities they don't advertise.

    Huh? In other words, don't use the US Mail, right? The "reality" is when
    you lose a few discs, Netflix says, "We're very sorry that happened to
    you." and they send you replacement copies. When it happens A LOT, they
    realize something is wrong and try to stop it. There's no way for them
    to prove the mailman or the customer or your neighbor is the thief so
    they do what they have to do. I'd have to guess the percentage of people
    this happens to is quite small compared to the overall number of
    customers they service. Feel free to prove that wrong.

    > Do youself a favor, apply that $20 monthly payment to discs you can
    > call your own, and avoid any racket that retains credit card
    > information and refuses to take phone calls from customers
    > (convenience whores).

    Why don't you learn about what you're talking about? They have a
    customer number and it's very easy to get through you moron. Try calling
    800.585.8131 or 888.638.3549 during businness hours.

    And as far as credit cards - should they call up the thousands of
    customers every month and ask for the card number yet again? What an
    idiot.

    Urra Dipschitt, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Boris

    Vic Canova Guest

    > (Urra Dipschitt)
    >puked in spiteful retribution:

    >Huh? In other words, don't use the US Mail, right?

    No asshole. I wasn't talking about the delivery. I was talking about
    the needless exposure to liabilities .. the DARK side of pursuits in
    self-gratification.

    >Feel free to prove that wrong.

    No need. I don't dispute facts, and I'm not "Dipschitt"
    enough to put myself into silly positions over
    frivolous expenditures to find out the hard way.

    >And as far as credit cards - should they call up the
    >thousands of customers every month and ask for the
    >card number yet again?

    hehe. Not when it can obtained from the mark who
    submits a new order every month, but the point is
    dummy, a dealer in used DVD's keeps it on file and has
    your authorization to bill it. Now THAT is stupid!

    >What an idiot.

    Correct. You are ... and a prick too. I guess "convenience whore"
    really got to you, but I DO admire your choice of screen names.

    I mean, nothing I said has any merit, but then, saps logic like yours
    rules the world, right?

    Vic Canova, Feb 24, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    (Vic Canova) wrote:

    > I mean, nothing I said has any merit, but then, saps logic like yours
    > rules the world, right?

    Whatever you say, genius. You keep buyin' 'em for $20 bucks a pop for
    the "convenience" of watching a movie any time you want but wish you
    hadn't bought because you hadn't seen it in the first place. I will just
    continue to let Netflix screw me over with those $1.50 per disc rentals
    and abusing my credit card with fradulent charges for the privilege.

    Urra Dipschitt, Feb 24, 2004
  12. Boris

    Song of Joy Guest

    "Boris" <> wrote in message
    : I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    : their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    : advice or comments about them?

    I'm a very satisfied customer of Netflix, almost three years along.
    Their customer service on the phone and in emails has always been
    great. Netflix has a staggering selection of films you won't see on TV
    or in the cinema, as well as all the standard fare and new stuff. I have
    no complaints at all.

    --
    *Carol* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Please visit my humor & parody website at
    http://www.rainy-day-laughter.com. Home of Happy Liederhosen's

    Song of Joy, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Boris

    AlienZen Guest

    "Shadowspawn" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:37:31 -0800, "Boris" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    > >their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    > >advice or comments about them?
    > >
    > >Thanks, in advance.
    > >

    > Walmart is doing the same thing for $15 = your first 30 days is FREE

    Walmart charges 15.00 with a max of 2 dvds out at a time. They have one distro
    point, Good ol' Bentonville Arkansas. Netflix has multiple distro points. (We
    have one here in town..Turnaround times are super quick!)

    We started with Netflix, tried their 2 week free period, and had fantastic
    turnaround. Watching our queue on Netflix website, they shipped the next DVD the
    day after we tossed the last ones in the mailbox. With Walmart, it was at least
    2 days between the time we put them in the mailbox and our queue indicated the
    next DVD was in the mail to us. Adding the in-transit time for the USPS, and we
    were getting new DVD's about once a week.

    ***A tip for netflix***
    Do the 14 day trial, then call and tell them you want to cancel and go to
    Walmart. Netflix will offer you their service for 15.00 a month for the next 6
    months, if you stay.

    Peace-N-Stuff
    AlienZen

    AlienZen, Feb 25, 2004
  14. I dropped them the day they converted to "subscription only" because
    I want to rent about 1 DVD every 3 months, and I don't have any interest
    in paying $20 a month for that.

    I wish they still did "one of" rentals since there is never any chance
    that anything but "popular" movies will be available in brick & mortar
    stores.
    --
    >>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+

    email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    <URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

    Thomas A. Horsley, Feb 25, 2004
  15. "Shadowspawn" <> wrote in message

    > Walmart is doing the same thing for $15 = your first 30 days is FREE

    The devil is in the details. WalMart does everything else CHEAPLY. Why would
    you want to turn over your entertainment choices to the whims of WalMart?
    You get what you pay for. Netflix is the best, there's a reason for that and
    that is why WalMart, in their typical fashion, is trying to knock them off.
    WalMart's selection is extremely limited when compared to Netflix and do you
    really want them telling you they'll only rent you an "R" rated version of a
    movie and not an unrated or an NC-17?

    Finally, I feel no need to line the silk pockets of the CEO's and executives
    of WalMart. They've got enough blood money from farming out their
    manufacturing jobs to sweatshops that employ child labor in Central America
    and China. Are $244 billion dollars in sales not enough for these greedy
    bastards?

    ICEBREAKER
    "A movie huh? Maybe we could, I don't know, sit in the balcony and I could
    take a bite out of your candy bar while you poke around in my popcorn box. I
    don't think so Mr. Pervert!...Just trying to keep the boulder in front of my
    love cave."

    My Big Fat Obnoxious Icebreaker, Feb 25, 2004
  16. Boris wrote:

    > I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    > their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    > advice or comments about them?
    >
    > Thanks, in advance.

    As it has been mentioned before, one of the main things it comes down to
    is at $20 you could get roughly 6 discs at Blockbuster which can be
    watched over roughly a weeks period each. If you watch less than 6
    movies a month and the movies that you do watch a relatively mainstream,
    then it may not be worth it. If you live way out in the boonies and
    don't have a decent video store near you, then perhaps it is worth the
    price.

    Although I didn't have Netflix, my roommate has been a customer (as is
    his dad) since pretty close to launch. It was worth it for him because
    he usually watched the movie within a day or two of arrival (and it was
    great for catching up on TV series released to DVD like The Sopranos).
    Since my roommate has left, I haven't been convinced to join, but I have
    highly considered it (and probably will eventually).

    Nicholas Andrade, Feb 26, 2004
  17. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Thanks. I went for Netflix. I'm home all the time so I will watch the
    movie right away, plus it's a good chance that it will get returned to
    them the next day. I live in the city and there are probably 4-5 rental
    stores within 6 blocks, but my mail box is easier :)

    Boris, Feb 26, 2004
  18. Boris

    Bruins72 Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message

    > "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:37:31 -0800, "Boris" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm thinking of joining Netflix. $20/month seems good. I live close to
    > > >their distribution center, so I'll probably get overnight shipping. Any
    > > >advice or comments about them?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks, in advance.
    > > >

    > > I have been using them for 4-1/2 years and think they are terrific.
    > >
    > > Karl

    > If your post office doesn't steal the discs (mine does).

    I had this same problem about a couple of years ago. I was using the service
    for a month or two and it was great. I got a nice quick turnaround on
    things. Then all of a sudden I wasn't getting my discs. There were a couple
    of movies that they sent to me 3 times and I never got 1 copy of them.
    Eventually, I found out they had been return as undeliverable. I live in a
    single family house with a nice big mailbox. There was no reason it couldn't
    be delivered. I'm sure it was a problem with the post office but the way
    Netflix handled the situation really soured me on them. They made it like I
    was the bad guy. Netflix made me jump through hoops so I wouldn't be billed
    for the missing discs (until they eventually got returned to them). I had to
    file complaints with the post office and get all kinds of information. I
    paid for about 3 month of service in which I never received one DVD. After I
    finally flipped out, they refunded the last month's fee. That was too little
    too late.

    I've also heard many people rave about Netflix. I guess if everything goes
    smoothly, it's a great service but beware if things go wrong!

    --
    -

    Bruins72, Feb 27, 2004