    definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."

    AP article: http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    Dave U.Random, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    On Feb 11, 1:02 pm, Dave U.Random <>
    wrote:
    > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."
    >
    > AP article:http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us
    to create the best experience for subscribers,"

    How is that possible when they're cutting off one avenue for their
    subscribers?

    After the end of this month, according to the email I received from
    Netflix, I'll have to watch HD exclusives on standard DVD or rent them
    from a local store that still carries both formats.

    , Feb 11, 2008

  3. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    > After the end of this month, according to the email I received from
    > Netflix, I'll have to watch HD exclusives on standard DVD or rent them
    > from a local store that still carries both formats.

    They're not dumping their existing stock, they're just not wasting any
    money on additional discs. You can still rent 'Transformers' until
    either all their copies are lost or destroyed or until the end of the
    year when it seems like they'll pull the plug completely.

    Honestly, I don't blame them. The writing is on the wall, it's a done
    deal on BluRay. There are a few exclusives in HD-DVD still, but I
    think you'll see the remaining studios jump ship here shortly, more
    than likely before the end of the year.

    To me it's no biggy. The $189 I paid for the HD-DVD drive 2 years ago
    has been justified with all the movies I've rented. As the ship burns
    I'm sure there will be some nice firesales. If anyone remembers when
    Beta evetually crashed everyplace had the BetaMax tapes for almost
    nothing which was a real boon back in the $89 tape days.

    I don't even really see these popping the 360 much since it is after..
    a game system first. (fancy that)

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com

    , Feb 11, 2008
  4. Dave U.Random wrote:
    > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."
    >
    > AP article: http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    And the corporate dominos keep falling:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=950

    Derek Janssen (yes, it *was* just like this after DiVX)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2008
  5. wrote:

    > "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us
    > to create the best experience for subscribers,"
    >
    > How is that possible when they're cutting off one avenue for their
    > subscribers?
    >
    > After the end of this month, according to the email I received from
    > Netflix, I'll have to watch HD exclusives on standard DVD or rent them
    > from a local store that still carries both formats.

    Have fun. See if you can find some UMD, while you're out there.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2008
  6. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    On Feb 11, 4:58 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > Dave U.Random wrote:
    > > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."

    > > AP article:http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    > And the corporate dominos keep falling:http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=950

    Wow, High def movie fanboys are as annoying as console fanboys, and
    maybe worse, because what they are yahooing over has less
    replayability than videogames.

    - Rich

    , Feb 11, 2008
  7. Dave U.Random

    Rowdy J Guest

    "Dave U.Random" <> wrote in message
    > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."
    >
    > AP article: http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    Just got this email myself. I don't care. I have the capability to use
    both formats. I like my 360 for GAMES, thank you... something PS3 doesn't
    really have an answer to yet.

    Rowdy J, Feb 11, 2008
  8. Dave U.Random

    Steven Guest

    It's a bit of a snub to simply convert those discs only avialable in HD-DVD
    to SD DVD's

    I'm not happy about that piece of the change and will complain for whatever
    good it will do-- If title is in blu-ray and HDDVD - I have no problem with
    them just going to bluray only as I can play both..

    I've had a couple of things only on HDDVD for HDM in my queue for sometime
    now.. Elizabeth, etc..

    So this does not translate to "best experience" for me for those specific
    HDDVD discs.

    <> wrote in message

    Steven, Feb 11, 2008
  9. On Feb 11, 3:26 pm, wrote:
    > On Feb 11, 1:02 pm, Dave U.Random <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."

    > > AP article:http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    > "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us
    > to create the best experience for subscribers,"
    >
    > How is that possible when they're cutting off one avenue for their
    > subscribers?
    >
    > After the end of this month, according to the email I received from
    > Netflix, I'll have to watch HD exclusives on standard DVD or rent them
    > from a local store that still carries both formats.

    I'd have more sympathy for any HD-DVD owner other than you, whose
    apparent sole reason for existing is to spread FUD about anything
    vaguely Sony-related. Don't let the door hit you on the way out,
    bub...........

    Nick Soapdish, Jr., Feb 12, 2008
  10. Dave U.Random

    Jordan Guest

    On Feb 11, 1:59 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Have fun. See if you can find some UMD, while you're out there.

    I know you're joking when you say that, but the animated Aeon Flux
    collection just came out and it's pretty cool for $15.

    2 discs even!

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Feb 12, 2008
  11. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    On Feb 11, 4:32 pm, "Rowdy J" <> wrote:
    > "Dave U.Random" <> wrote in message

    > > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."

    > > AP article:http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    > Just got this email myself.  I don't care.  I have the capability to use
    > both formats.  I like my 360 for GAMES, thank you... something PS3 doesn't
    > really have an answer to yet.

    Over 100 exclusives announced for the Ps3 including titles from the
    biggest franchises of all time. What does Xbox have to look
    forward? Halo Wars? *giggle*

    , Feb 12, 2008
  12. Dave U.Random

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Over 100 exclusives announced for the Ps3 including titles from the
    > biggest franchises of all time. What does Xbox have to look
    > forward? Halo Wars? *giggle*

    Yes, yes, "announced". How many of those are coming out this year? For
    instance, do you HONESTLY believe FFXIII will be out in the US or Europe
    before calendar year of 2008 finishes? It's currently got a Novemeber
    release date - 7 months later than their last date which put the game's
    release somewhere around April.

    With a history of date slippage, any date announced for a PS3 game should
    be taken with an extra large grain of salt.

    Finally, while the PS3 does have some big exclusive and cross-platform
    titles lined up for this year like MGS, Gran Turismo, and GTA, do you
    honestly think the only game the 360 has planned for 2008 is Halo Wars?
    Yeah, like THAT sounds like a realistic situation!

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 12, 2008
  13. Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Over 100 exclusives announced for the Ps3 including titles from the
    >>biggest franchises of all time. What does Xbox have to look
    >>forward? Halo Wars? *giggle*

    > Yes, yes, "announced". How many of those are coming out this year? For
    > instance, do you HONESTLY believe FFXIII will be out in the US or Europe
    > before calendar year of 2008 finishes? It's currently got a Novemeber
    > release date - 7 months later than their last date which put the game's
    > release somewhere around April.
    >
    > With a history of date slippage, any date announced for a PS3 game should
    > be taken with an extra large grain of salt.
    >
    > Finally, while the PS3 does have some big exclusive and cross-platform
    > titles lined up for this year like MGS, Gran Turismo, and GTA, do you
    > honestly think the only game the 360 has planned for 2008 is Halo Wars?
    > Yeah, like THAT sounds like a realistic situation!

    Gee, looks like I'll just have to use my PS3 for playing 1.1 Blu-ray
    movies, then. ^_^

    Derek Janssen (I figure, it'll be about three years *AFTER* the War that
    we'll stop getting "Haha, PS3'ers can't play games!")

    Derek Janssen, Feb 12, 2008
  14. Dave U.Random

    khee mao Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 11, 4:58 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >> Dave U.Random wrote:
    >> > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    >> > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    >> > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    >> > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."

    >> > AP article:http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    >> And the corporate dominos keep
    >> falling:http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=950

    > Wow, High def movie fanboys are as annoying as console fanboys, and
    > maybe worse, because what they are yahooing over has less
    > replayability than videogames.

    depends on the movie and the game. some games, take Bioshock or Half-Life2
    for example, I can't even get around to finishing, though I've watched
    Batman Begins (on HD-DVD, fanbois) probably 10 times through by now...

    khee mao, Feb 13, 2008
  15. On Feb 12, 2:42 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Feb 11, 4:32 pm, "Rowdy J" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Dave U.Random" <> wrote in message

    > > > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > > > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > > > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > > > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."

    > > > AP article:http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    > > Just got this email myself.  I don't care.  I have the capability to use
    > > both formats.  I like my 360 for GAMES, thank you... something PS3 doesn't
    > > really have an answer to yet.

    > Over 100 exclusives announced for the Ps3 including titles from the
    > biggest franchises of all time.   What does Xbox have to look
    > forward?  Halo Wars? *giggle*

    You know, a little game called Ninja Gaiden 2 would like to have a
    word with you. Second, how many of those exclusives are full-fledged
    next-gen games, and not just downloadable arcade games? If you're
    going to use those kinds of games, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft
    could match your numbers. And by the way, you seem to be using the
    same argument the Xbox fanboys are using- that multiplatform games
    don't count. It's stupid no matter who spouts it.

    Nick Soapdish, Jr., Feb 13, 2008
  16. Dave U.Random

    Jordan Guest

    On Feb 12, 12:42 pm, ""
    <> wrote:

    > Over 100 exclusives announced for the Ps3 including titles from the
    > biggest franchises of all time. What does Xbox have to look
    > forward? Halo Wars? *giggle*

    Considering the PS3 still hasn't caught up to Gears of War, a game
    that's almost 2 years old now, I don't think you have any room to
    talk.

    Over 100 exclusives? What drugs are you on?

    Right now there are 113 PS3 games, of those only 24(!) are exclusive.
    You honestly think they're going to quadruple the number of exclusives
    in one year?

    There are so few PS3 exclusives I can even list them here with
    scores... Funny how the majority aren't even worth owning...

    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 89.77%
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction 88.55%
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma 87.08%
    Resistance: Fall of Man 86.63%
    Unreal Tournament 3 85.22%
    Warhawk 84.38%
    SingStar 82.67%
    MotorStorm 82.31%
    Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds 81.50%
    Heavenly Sword 80.64%
    Ridge Racer 7 78.97%
    MLB 07: The Show 77.93%
    Folklore 76.45%
    Formula One Championship Edition 76.42%
    The Eye of Judgment 75.40%
    The Godfather: The Don's Edition 72.09%
    NBA 08 65.98%
    Full Auto 2: Battlelines 65.54%
    NBA 07 64.96%
    Time Crisis 4 62.01%
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom 59.16%
    Genji: Days of the Blade 57.69%
    Lair 55.53%
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire 34.76%

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Feb 13, 2008
  17. "Rowdy J" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave U.Random" <> wrote in message
    > > "Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    > > is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    > > definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    > > the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."
    > >
    > > AP article: http://easyurl.net/Netflix
    > >

    > Just got this email myself. I don't care. I have the capability to use
    > both formats. I like my 360 for GAMES, thank you... something PS3 doesn't
    > really have an answer to yet.

    da PS3 dontz nedez no gamez!!!!!!!!!!!!da PS3 iz outcellin alda udderz
    kombind!!!!!!!!!!!!da PS3 iz outcellin yu XFLop 1.5 thre-shiity fool sirkil
    fanfaireez
    10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000021!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Is there room for Perkoff in a heart filled with m, Feb 13, 2008
  18. Dave U.Random

    GDF Guest

    **** both formats. i upconvert and its good enough for me. yeah id be cool
    to have have a BR burner in my pc and store shit loads of stuff but that
    isnt even stable enough to trust. ill just use my usb external HD to save
    shit.

    GDF, Feb 13, 2008
  19. On Feb 12, 8:03 pm, Jordan <> wrote:
    > On Feb 12, 12:42 pm, ""
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Over 100 exclusives announced for the Ps3 including titles from the
    > > biggest franchises of all time.   What does Xbox have to look
    > > forward?  Halo Wars? *giggle*

    > Considering the PS3 still hasn't caught up to Gears of War, a game
    > that's almost 2 years old now, I don't think you have any room to
    > talk.

    Are you practicing to be like Bligmerk? Because it seems that you
    have a similar taste for ignoring facts. Gears of War came out in
    November of 2006. Is a year and 4 months "almost 2 years old"? It's
    not even over the year and a half mark, for "rounding purposes". But
    then again, I wouldn't want to interfere with the fanboyism that you
    are so proud of. Carry on, dude, carry on......

    Nick Soapdish, Jr., Feb 13, 2008
  20. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:02:27 +0100 (CET), Dave U.Random
    <> wrote:

    >"Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it
    >is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-
    >definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting
    >the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp..."
    >
    >AP article: http://easyurl.net/Netflix

    Who cares about Netflix. They're ripoffs. I'd never use them.

    , Feb 21, 2008