Netflix anomaly?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bill's News, May 10, 2007.

  1. Bill's News

    Bill's News Guest

    We have a six out subscription. Four discs are here, two at NF
    being replaced today.

    While browsing the queue and removing items in which I'd lost
    interest or had recently seen on TV, I was checking one at a
    time and updating the queue. Near the end, I checked the last
    three to be removed before updating and when I did update, three
    discs appeared as "Processing," along with the two discs already
    marked as "Shipping today." While typing this note on a
    different PC, I just opened up the NF queue again and now all
    eight of my deletions are marked "Processing."

    I've no idea whether they will actually ship these (I hope not),
    nor what other anomalous behavior their accounting might
    suddenly inflict? Of course there is no convenient way to
    communicate this to them digitally - I'm not about to hang on
    the phone while trying to get a human response who might
    understand and/or care what's happening.

    Anyone else want to try this?
    Bill's News, May 10, 2007

  2. Bill's News

    Bill's News Guest

    Re: Netflix anomaly? Follow up: all sorted.

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    > We have a six out subscription. Four discs are here, two at
    > NF being replaced today.
    >
    > While browsing the queue and removing items in which I'd lost
    > interest or had recently seen on TV, I was checking one at a
    > time and updating the queue. Near the end, I checked the last
    > three to be removed before updating and when I did update,
    > three discs appeared as "Processing," along with the two discs
    > already marked as "Shipping today." While typing this note on
    > a different PC, I just opened up the NF queue again and now
    > all eight of my deletions are marked "Processing."
    >
    > I've no idea whether they will actually ship these (I hope
    > not), nor what other anomalous behavior their accounting might
    > suddenly inflict? Of course there is no convenient way to
    > communicate this to them digitally - I'm not about to hang on
    > the phone while trying to get a human response who might
    > understand and/or care what's happening.
    >
    > Anyone else want to try this?

    The anomaly may have been temporary, or some other "policing"
    algorithm may have noticed the peculiarity, but the deleted
    items are now no longer appearing as "Processing!"
    Bill's News, May 10, 2007

  3. Bill's News

    def456 Guest

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    >> We have a six out subscription. Four discs are here, two at NF being
    >> replaced today.
    >>
    >> While browsing the queue and removing items in which I'd lost interest or
    >> had recently seen on TV, I was checking one at a time and updating the
    >> queue. Near the end, I checked the last three to be removed before
    >> updating and when I did update, three discs appeared as "Processing,"
    >> along with the two discs already marked as "Shipping today." While
    >> typing this note on a different PC, I just opened up the NF queue again
    >> and now all eight of my deletions are marked "Processing."
    >>
    >> I've no idea whether they will actually ship these (I hope not), nor what
    >> other anomalous behavior their accounting might suddenly inflict? Of
    >> course there is no convenient way to communicate this to them digitally -
    >> I'm not about to hang on the phone while trying to get a human response
    >> who might understand and/or care what's happening.
    >>
    >> Anyone else want to try this?
    >>

    > The anomaly may have been temporary, or some other "policing" algorithm
    > may have noticed the peculiarity, but the deleted items are now no longer
    > appearing as "Processing!"

    I've never had that happen. Their system has been remarkably accurate and
    correct over the last few months that I've been a member. However, they seem
    to have had a temporary system problem of some kind within the last few
    days. Apparently nothing serious, in general, but a few hiccups here and
    there, slow emails, etc. Maybe an overloaded server.

    If there's a real computer glitch at Netflix, it may be with multidisk
    movies coming as one title. For example Gone with the Wind, Godfather II,
    and Ben-Hur come as 2 discs, but count as one title (1 movie out). They seem
    to be slow to credit returns of both of those discs, maybe requiring you to
    notify them of a possible loss - then they quickly "find" it.
    def456, May 11, 2007
  4. Bill's News

    Bill's News Guest

    Re: Netflix anomaly? Follow up: all sorted.

    "def456" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > If there's a real computer glitch at Netflix, it may be with
    > multidisk movies coming as one title. For example Gone with
    > the Wind, Godfather II, and Ben-Hur come as 2 discs, but count
    > as one title (1 movie out). They seem to be slow to credit
    > returns of both of those discs, maybe requiring you to notify
    > them of a possible loss - then they quickly "find" it.

    Thanks, I'll be on the lookout as I've just ordered "Reds" -
    though I doubt I'll be able to watch it straight through in one
    sitting.

    Oh! Yes, ship/receipt email has sometimes been spotty, or absent
    completely of late, while the web page always seems to be
    accurate. Thankfully, NF has been a very dependable source for
    me as, with the current state of broadcast and cable content, my
    TVs would frequently sit dark at prime-time were it not for
    them.
    Bill's News, May 11, 2007
  5. Bill's News

    def456 Guest

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message

    > "def456" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    >> If there's a real computer glitch at Netflix, it may be with multidisk
    >> movies coming as one title. For example Gone with the Wind, Godfather II,
    >> and Ben-Hur come as 2 discs, but count as one title (1 movie out). They
    >> seem to be slow to credit returns of both of those discs, maybe requiring
    >> you to notify them of a possible loss - then they quickly "find" it.
    >>

    > Thanks, I'll be on the lookout as I've just ordered "Reds" -

    [snip]

    I checked my records and it happened when I rented Gone with the Wind in
    February. And it has just happened again when I rented Ben-Hur in May. They
    only acknowledge receipt of 1 of the 2 discs, then wait til you report it
    late to acknowledge the other one. If it happens with your Reds, that's
    pretty conclusive proof...
    def456, May 14, 2007
  6. Bill's News

    def456 Guest

    "def456" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "def456" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> If there's a real computer glitch at Netflix, it may be with multidisk
    >>> movies coming as one title. For example Gone with the Wind, Godfather
    >>> II, and Ben-Hur come as 2 discs, but count as one title (1 movie out).
    >>> They seem to be slow to credit returns of both of those discs, maybe
    >>> requiring you to notify them of a possible loss - then they quickly
    >>> "find" it.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, I'll be on the lookout as I've just ordered "Reds" -

    > [snip]
    >
    > I checked my records and it happened when I rented Gone with the Wind in
    > February. And it has just happened again when I rented Ben-Hur in May.
    > They only acknowledge receipt of 1 of the 2 discs, then wait til you
    > report it late to acknowledge the other one. If it happens with your Reds,
    > that's pretty conclusive proof...

    I contacted Netflix and they acknowledge that this is a bug in their system.
    Of course they say they're in process of fixing it. How long will that take?
    I won't hold my breath. Rule of thumb: It takes 3 software technicians to
    fix a rusty pipe, one to go find a wrench, another to find the pipe, and
    another to put the wrench on the pipe and turn it. :) Instead, in
    future... I won't wait the usual 7 days to report a returned disc as late
    for the doubledisk titles; 2-3 days should be plenty.
    def456, May 16, 2007