Netflix and Blockbuster - separate Bonus DVD rentals?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mark, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I was interested in renting Monster-in-Law which comes out on 8/30/05
    but noticed there was a separate Bonus DVD listed on Netflix. I looked
    this DVD up on Amazon and DVD Empire and there's not a word about it
    being 2 DVDs.

    I then wondered if Netflix was playing games by splitting a 1-DVD
    release into 2 DVDs or if Amazon and DVD Empire were wrong. After
    looking further, I found a couple sites that list this release as 2
    DVDs. I found 1 online review and buried near the end it mentioned 2
    DVDs. It almost seems you have to visit 4 or more sites and scan every
    word to find out something as simple as how many DVDs are included in
    a package.

    This raises a few questions:

    - Does Netflix or Blockbuster ever take a single DVD release with a
    movie and bonus features on the same disc and have the manufacturer
    split it into 2 DVDs to make it 2 rentals? In other words, can you
    safely assume if you see a Bonus DVD listed for a movie that it
    must've been a 2-DVD release?

    - Does Netflix or Blockbuster rent exclusive store-only DVDs such as
    what Best Buy or Circuit City sometimes offers or ones like the 9th
    disc from the Alien Quadrilogy? (I couldn't find it on Netflix.)

    - Never having used Blockbuster, does Blockbuster rent Bonus DVDs the
    same way Netflix does so it always counts as 2 rentals?

    Mark, Aug 28, 2005

  2. Mark wrote:

    > I was interested in renting Monster-in-Law which comes out on 8/30/05
    > but noticed there was a separate Bonus DVD listed on Netflix. I looked
    > this DVD up on Amazon and DVD Empire and there's not a word about it
    > being 2 DVDs.

    Don't know whether the original disk was a two-sided, but Netflix often
    recommissions one-sided pressings to avoid problems.

    > - can you
    > safely assume if you see a Bonus DVD listed for a movie that it
    > must've been a 2-DVD release?

    Yyyyyyep--Has to do with
    A) accounting for fewer lost disks, and
    B) not having to bother with those old two-disk envelopes anymore.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 29, 2005