    Are there any ethernet disks out there that work with 64-bit Windows? What
    kind of backup routines do you all use? I WILL NOT go back to tape.

    TIA

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Jul 15, 2005

  2. "=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=" <> wrote in

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Well, add to the list of "things that don't work in x64" is the backup
    > mechanism I had in place for my old XP Pro system. I bought a Ximeta
    > Netdisk, which is an ethernet hard disk, and had Acronis True Image
    > software create an image of my entire hard drive and send it off to
    > the Netdisk each night. It was the ultimate (and fast) backup.
    >
    > Are there any ethernet disks out there that work with 64-bit Windows?
    > What kind of backup routines do you all use? I WILL NOT go back to
    > tape.
    >
    > TIA

    OK, why wouldn't it work? I can see why the ethernet side of it wouldn't
    work, that would take a driver. But it also supports USB2.0, if I read
    their product page correctly. I would expect that to work just fine.

    As for what I use for backup these days? Well, I keep everything
    important on the server, and it backs up to an internal HD every night.
    Once a week I suck off the latest backup onto a local HD on my personal
    workstation. (well, technically, I have a Korn shell script that sucks
    off the latest version and puts it on the local hard drive. I don't
    believe in manually doing anything I can script.)

    Tape -- I'm not going there again.

    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel, Jul 16, 2005

  3. The USB configuration probably would work technically, but it is not the
    solution I desire strategically. Keeping NetDisk hidden by my ethernet patch
    panel gives an extra level of protection in case of theft of my computer.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Yes. But rather easy to string a USB cable to a USB hub and then off to your
    netdisk at sufficient distance from your computer to provide at least some
    security.

    That being said, I agree that netdisk needs to step up to the plate and do
    64-bit drivers. I would actively encourage them to do so if I had their
    hardware. My suggestions were primarily to help you find an interim solution
    that would get around the problem.

    Another possibility is any of the Windows Storage Server based solutions.
    These are obviously more expensive, but certainly provide full security and
    allow full remoteness as well.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2005