    I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes and
    models?
    Imno1, Apr 8, 2009

  2. Imno1

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:18:26 -0700, "Imno1" <> wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    >limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    >spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have a
    >DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to add
    >come only through download.
    >I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    >Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes and
    >models?

    Most netbooks by design aren't going to have a CD or DVD Drive. You'd
    need to buy a external (USB) drive.
    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2009

  3. Imno1

    Col Guest

    "Imno1" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    > limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    > spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have a
    > DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to add
    > come only through download.
    > I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    > Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes and
    > models?

    I have an Acer Aspire One and it's superb. I bought it purely for surfing
    while away, but it's virtually replaced my desktop.
    It doesnt have a disk drive but you can get an external for as little as £20
    or a DVD writer for arond £40.
    I would have thought the inclusion of a disk drive would defeat the object
    as It wold have to be much bigger.
    Col, Apr 8, 2009
  4. Imno1

    Randy Hammon Guest

    Imno1 wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    > limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    > spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have a
    > DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to add
    > come only through download.
    > I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    > Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes and
    > models?

    Latest issue of Wired Magazine reviews some of the best netbooks. check
    it out.
    Randy Hammon, Apr 8, 2009
  5. Imno1

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-04-08, Imno1 <> wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    > limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    > spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have a
    > DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to add
    > come only through download.

    Small size (and low weight and cheapness) tend to rule out built-in optical
    drives. These are not 'desktop replacement' or 'multimedia entertainment
    centre' machines. You will probably find the need to use a conventional
    machine to download large files or do any heavy work, and copy files to
    and from the 'netbook' using a USB stick or SD card.

    > I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    > Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes and
    > models?

    I have a CnMbook (also sold as Elonex ONEt or Trendtec 700 EP among other
    names). It's /very/ light-weight, and slow, and the supplied OS and
    software are somewhat restricted - being a cut-down derivative of Debian,
    installed as 'firmware'. It's probably just about the cheapest of the
    'small cheap computer' models. Yes, it's Linux, but not as we know it.

    The supplied browser is Firefox, in all but name - and rather slow on this
    hardware. It also has an email program, and some 'office' software.
    There is very limited scope for installing other stuff - and if you insist
    on your OS having a Microsoft or Apple brand, forget it.

    There are no spinning discs of any sort, but there is an SD card slot and
    three USB sockets (version 1, I think). It can network using ethernet and
    802.11b/g, but not Bluetooth. It can be used with 'mobile broadband'
    dongles to access the internet via the mobile phone system.

    Power consumption seems to be very modest, but the built-in battery pack
    is small so the run-time isn't much more than three hours unless you use
    an external (9v 1.5A) supply (a mains adaptor/charger is included).

    It's a cheap and cheerful nearly-minimalist 'appliance', good for light
    use such as email and browsing websites (as long as they don't require
    Flash or too much javascript). There's a useful web-forum populated by
    users who like to get the most out of the ...... little things
    <http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/>. I'm happy to lug mine
    around and use it in public. For its size, the keyboard is surprisingly
    good.

    I also have a Toshiba Libretto 500, which is much the same size but is a
    fully functional PC in all other respects. Expensive, fragile, and no
    longer made. I hestitate to use it anywhere it might get damaged or
    nicked.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 8, 2009
  6. Imno1

    chuckcar Guest

    "Imno1" <> wrote in

    > I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    > limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    > spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have
    > a DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to
    > add come only through download.
    > I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    > Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes
    > and models?

    Save your money until you have over $2000 to spend. They're $400 because
    they're crap. Without exception.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 8, 2009
  7. Imno1

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:49:33 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Save your money until you have over $2000 to spend. They're $400 because
    >they're crap. Without exception.

    Ignore chucktard. He's a clueless troll.
    Evan Platt, Apr 9, 2009
  8. chuckcar wrote:
    > "Imno1" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    >> limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    >> spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have
    >> a DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to
    >> add come only through download.
    >> I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    >> Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes
    >> and models?
    >>

    > Save your money until you have over $2000 to spend. They're $400 because
    > they're crap. Without exception.

    Nah the Dell Mini 9 is a great machine.
    Caulfield_man, Apr 9, 2009
  9. Imno1

    chuckcar Guest

    Caulfield_man <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> "Imno1" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    >>> limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the
    >>> various spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks
    >>> don't have a DVD where you can insert software or does software you
    >>> might want to add come only through download.
    >>> I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    >>> Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes
    >>> and models?
    >>>

    >> Save your money until you have over $2000 to spend. They're $400
    >> because they're crap. Without exception.
    >>

    > Nah the Dell Mini 9 is a great machine.

    For $400, *no* computer is period.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 9, 2009
  10. Imno1

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:12:35 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >For $400, *no* computer is period.

    OMG will you STFU please?

    You're a damn blabbering idiot.
    Evan Platt, Apr 9, 2009
  11. Imno1

    Imno1 Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > "Col" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Imno1" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking to buy a netbook. I'm aware and willing to accept their
    >>> limitations, though I am curious about one thing. In reading the various
    >>> spec, I don't see mention of a DVD slot. Is it that netbooks don't have
    >>> a DVD where you can insert software or does software you might want to
    >>> add come only through download.
    >>> I' m willing to around $400 plus/minus $25.
    >>> Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes
    >>> and models?

    >> I have an Acer Aspire One and it's superb. I bought it purely for surfing
    >> while away, but it's virtually replaced my desktop.

    > Same here, and I'll second the comments/

    Hey guys
    first off thanks for the input. I ended up ordering a SamsungNC10. It has a
    10.2 screen which I hope won't give me too much trouble in seeing and is
    liked by the reviewers because the querty board is just about normal size. I
    recognize that these netbooks are going to come with more and more bells and
    whistles including the latest OS and that as they come into the market the
    current ones will get cheaper. But the basic and simple uses of the current
    ones are what I'm looking for -and I don't expect the prices on these will
    go down all that much.
    I'm still a bit disturbed and dissappointed there will, apparently, be no
    way to load software from a disc.The machine I bought comes with a two-month
    use of an old version of MS Office. After that you have to download and
    pay. I,d like to install an MS Word disc that works on the XP the OS
    of
    this machine.And there is other stuff that comes in disc form to be bought
    in Office Depot and the like. I don't see how I could download that kind of
    stuff on a flash drive.
    You might interested in one use I'm planning. I understand there is a new
    version of SKYPE whereby you pay $3.00/month for unlimited access to not
    only to other Skype users but to any US landline. I'm hoping to use this
    machine like a cell phone particularly when I'm traveling. Most airports
    these days, so instead of using a cell phone to help others track my travel
    I will go online with my little netbook-which of couse I'll have with me,
    this being one of the main reasons I'm buying it.

    Imno1, Apr 10, 2009
  12. Imno1

    Gordon Guest

    Imno1 wrote:

    > I'm still a bit disturbed and dissappointed there will, apparently, be no
    > way to load software from a disc.

    I don't think ANY netbooks come with an internal CD/DVD drive - they are
    too small.
    You have three options:
    Buy an external CD/DVD RW drive
    Copy the Software installation disk to a flash drive on another computer
    or install from a network source.
    You may want to consider the first option as a) those drives are NOT
    expensive and b) many netbooks come with a Recovery DVD which while in
    theory it is possible to transfer that to a flash drive, in practice
    turns out to be quite complicated.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon, Apr 10, 2009
  13. Fred wrote:
    > "Col" <> wrote in message
    >> "Imno1" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking to buy a netbook. (snipped)

    >>> Does anyone have experience and or recommendations on particular makes
    >>> and models?

    I bought a Dell Mini 9 on a whim in a local retail outlet recently,
    they'll only sell them in Australia with xp. I'm surprised how much we
    enjoy using the machine, it is delightfully responsive (web browsing,
    video and audio Skype calls and open-office word processing)and the
    screen is excellent.

    Installed extra software by USB stick and all works nicely. It's
    replaced an Apple powerbook which was always an expensive unreliable
    mistake and is frankly more fun to use than the powerbook ever was.

    The SSD disk is 16GB and really all one needs for a PC such as this.
    Attractive benefit of the disk is that the machine is utterly silent.
    Caulfield_man, Apr 13, 2009