    now possible to get a new, Internet-ready netbook with Windows XP for just
    US$350, it's safe to say many people will simply not bother with the hassles
    associated with putting Linux on an old laptop."
    impossible, Nov 12, 2008

  2. impossible

    Richard Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._opportunity_for_windows_threat_to_linux.html
    >

    > "The attraction of converting an old laptop to Ubuntu or some other
    > distro fades when the cost of getting a brand-new Windows netbook is so
    > cheap. Millions of households have the laptop equivalent of an '83
    > Cadillac Coupe De Ville with 150,000 miles -- expensive clunkers that
    > are seldom taken out owing to their size and slow speed. At one time,
    > these old Windows 95, 98, and Me machines would be prime targets for
    > Linux overhauls. Considering it's now possible to get a new,
    > Internet-ready netbook with Windows XP for just US$350, it's safe to say
    > many people will simply not bother with the hassles associated with
    > putting Linux on an old laptop."

    Yes, but they can put linux on the dinosaur to have a play, which many
    people I know have done.

    If there was a concerted effort to sell one of the tard-ready versions
    but cut down as a way to get more life from an old laptop I think it
    would be moderately successful.
    Richard, Nov 12, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._opportunity_for_windows_threat_to_linux.html
    >> "The attraction of converting an old laptop to Ubuntu or some other
    >> distro fades when the cost of getting a brand-new Windows netbook is so
    >> cheap. Millions of households have the laptop equivalent of an '83
    >> Cadillac Coupe De Ville with 150,000 miles -- expensive clunkers that are
    >> seldom taken out owing to their size and slow speed. At one time, these
    >> old Windows 95, 98, and Me machines would be prime targets for Linux
    >> overhauls. Considering it's now possible to get a new, Internet-ready
    >> netbook with Windows XP for just US$350, it's safe to say many people
    >> will simply not bother with the hassles associated with putting Linux on
    >> an old laptop."

    > Guy's talking by the weight of his head...ppl often put Linux on as its
    > free and not $350US and/or to experiment....same reason why they didnt try
    > and buy an XP upgrade....cost, it makes more sense not to upgrade the MS
    > OS, so an idiot.

    The point of the article is that people are finding they no longer need to
    downgrade their os to linux, and suffer all the hassles involved with that,
    just to accomodate obsolete hardware. With the netbook option, they can get
    an entirely new Internet-ready Windows machine instead. This conclusion is
    reinforced by other evidence out there concernig high-rates of returns for
    linux-based machiones and the unwillingness of many retailers to waste floor
    space stocking them. The nixophile strategy of bottom-feeding is simply a
    loser.

    > The netbooks now are the same cost as base laptops ie circa
    > $800NZ...unless you really want small they are expensive for what you get
    > and not worth it IMHO.

    The NZ market has never been typical, simply because of the exttrem
    price-gouging that's allowed to go on at the distribution end. That said,
    the higher the price the machine, the better Windows looks to buyers.
    impossible, Nov 12, 2008
  4. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message news:gfdv07$a50$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._opportunity_for_windows_threat_to_linux.html
    >> "The attraction of converting an old laptop to Ubuntu or some other
    >> distro fades when the cost of getting a brand-new Windows netbook is so
    >> cheap. Millions of households have the laptop equivalent of an '83
    >> Cadillac Coupe De Ville with 150,000 miles -- expensive clunkers that are
    >> seldom taken out owing to their size and slow speed. At one time, these
    >> old Windows 95, 98, and Me machines would be prime targets for Linux
    >> overhauls. Considering it's now possible to get a new, Internet-ready
    >> netbook with Windows XP for just US$350, it's safe to say many people
    >> will simply not bother with the hassles associated with putting Linux on
    >> an old laptop."

    > Yes, but they can put linux on the dinosaur to have a play, which many
    > people I know have done.
    >
    > If there was a concerted effort to sell one of the tard-ready versions but
    > cut down as a way to get more life from an old laptop I think it would be
    > moderately successful.

    Bottom-feeding is a lousy business strategy. I've never understood why so
    many nixophiles are wedded to it.
    impossible, Nov 12, 2008
  5. impossible

    Richard Guest

    impossible wrote:

    >> If there was a concerted effort to sell one of the tard-ready versions
    >> but cut down as a way to get more life from an old laptop I think it
    >> would be moderately successful.

    > Bottom-feeding is a lousy business strategy. I've never understood why
    > so many nixophiles are wedded to it.

    Because with a zero cost to entry its hardly got a financial barrier to
    having a play with. You will not sell the average person a laptop with
    linux on it when they dont know it will do what they want, but most
    people will have upgraded recently and have a dinosaur available to them
    to play with.
    Richard, Nov 12, 2008
  6. In article <gffj5g$l9e$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >impossible wrote:
    >>> If there was a concerted effort to sell one of the tard-ready versions
    >>> but cut down as a way to get more life from an old laptop I think it
    >>> would be moderately successful.

    >> Bottom-feeding is a lousy business strategy. I've never understood why
    >> so many nixophiles are wedded to it.

    >Because with a zero cost to entry its hardly got a financial barrier to
    >having a play with. You will not sell the average person a laptop with
    >linux on it when they dont know it will do what they want, but most
    >people will have upgraded recently and have a dinosaur available to them
    >to play with.

    Yep. And it aint like the dinosaur is worth anything, so it's basically a
    free play area. Remember that impossible is, and all becomes clear. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2008
  7. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message news:gffj5g$l9e$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Yes, but they can put linux on the dinosaur to have a play, which many
    >>> people I know have done.
    >>>
    >>> If there was a concerted effort to sell one of the tard-ready versions
    >>> but cut down as a way to get more life from an old laptop I think it
    >>> would be moderately successful.

    >> Bottom-feeding is a lousy business strategy. I've never understood why so
    >> many nixophiles are wedded to it.

    > Because with a zero cost to entry its hardly got a financial barrier to
    > having a play with. You will not sell the average person a laptop with
    > linux on it when they dont know it will do what they want, but most people
    > will have upgraded recently and have a dinosaur available to them to play
    > with.

    If that's your grand hope for the future of linux, I feel sorry for you.
    Since when can anyone casually "have a play" with linux? Least of all on old
    hardware that never has and never will support that operating system. Cheap
    as new machines are nowadays, you'd be hard-pressed to find even a techie
    who coluld be bothered doing that, let alone "most people".
    impossible, Nov 13, 2008
  8. Re: Netbooks: Opportunity for Linux, Threat to Dimdows

    Richard wrote:

    > You will not sell the average person a laptop with linux on it when they
    > dont know it will do what they want...

    Considering that 1 out of 4 netbooks is shipping with Linux preinstalled, I'd say increasing numbers of "average person"s are acting quite happy with Linux, whether they know it's called "Linux" or not.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2008
  9. impossible

    Peter Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > The nixophile strategy of bottom-feeding is simply a loser.

    Hardly. The folk I know who use Linux, do so for superior performance,
    to do experimentation or for higher reliability.
    Windows is the system of choice for your "bottom feeding" users.

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 13, 2008
  10. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Guy's talking by the weight of his head...ppl often put Linux on as its
    >>> free and not $350US and/or to experiment....same reason why they didnt
    >>> try
    >>> and buy an XP upgrade....cost, it makes more sense not to upgrade the MS
    >>> OS, so an idiot.
    >>>

    >> The point of the article is that people are finding they no longer need
    >> downgrade their os to linux, and suffer all the hassles involved with
    >> that,
    >> just to accomodate obsolete hardware. With the netbook option, they can
    >> get
    >> an entirely new Internet-ready Windows machine instead. This conclusion
    >> is
    >> reinforced by other evidence out there concernig high-rates of returns
    >> for
    >> linux-based machiones and the unwillingness of many retailers to waste
    >> floor
    >> space stocking them. The nixophile strategy of bottom-feeding is simply a
    >> loser.
    >>

    > Hardly. The folk I know who use Linux, do so for superior performance,
    > to do experimentation or for higher reliability.
    > Windows is the system of choice for your "bottom feeding" users.

    Bottom-feeding refers to a business strategy of pushing cheap goods to
    people as a way of trying to capture market share. It's the strategy
    promoted in 9-of-10 nixophile posts in nz.comp, where the sole hope for
    linux consists in undercutting Microsoft or Apple by giving software away.
    As a result, no one seems the least bit interested in actually developing
    products/applications that a substantial number of users would actually use.
    Face it, Windows sells because Windows software tends to be awfully good.
    Apple products sells because Apple's hardware and software is awfully good.
    Application for application, there is simply nothing to compare with what's
    available to Windows and iMac/iPhone users.

    impossible, Nov 14, 2008