    Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP
    tomm, Aug 25, 2010

  2. tomm

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, "tomm"
    <> wrote:

    >I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
    >different operating systems.
    > Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    > Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    >Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
    home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.
    joevan, Aug 25, 2010

  3. tomm

    tomm Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, "tomm"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in
    >>2
    >>different operating systems.
    >> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    >> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    >>Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP
    >>

    > I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
    > home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

    Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to be a
    stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you cant
    even change the desktop wallpaper ?!
    tomm, Aug 25, 2010
  4. tomm

    Sunny Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in message
    >I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in
    >2 different operating systems.
    > Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    > Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    > Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    FIW I just bought 2 Netbooks with Win7 Starter Edition, and wish I had
    been offered WinXP.
    7Starter edition is a bit restricted so I "upgraded to Win7 Home which
    devoured the saving I made on the Netbook prices. (Win XP will still be
    supported for a couple of years)
    Sunny, Aug 25, 2010
  5. tomm

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/24/2010 6:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > "joevan"<> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, "tomm"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in
    >>> 2
    >>> different operating systems.
    >>> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    >>> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    >>> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP
    >>>

    >> I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
    >> home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

    > Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to be a
    > stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you cant
    > even change the desktop wallpaper ?!

    LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
    unless you have recently had a lobotomy. <g>

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Aug 25, 2010
  6. tomm

    tomm Guest

    "OldGringo38" <> wrote in message
    > On 8/24/2010 6:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> "joevan"<> wrote in message

    >>> I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
    >>> home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

    >> Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to
    >> be a
    >> stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you
    >> cant
    >> even change the desktop wallpaper ?!
    >>

    > LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
    > unless you have recently had a lobotomy. <g>

    .....I realise changing the wallpaper is not the end of the world , but was
    just pointing out this is just one of the simple tasks that is not possible
    tomm, Aug 25, 2010
  7. tomm

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/24/2010 7:04 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message
    >> On 8/24/2010 6:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> "joevan"<> wrote in message

    >>> Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to
    >>> be a
    >>> stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you
    >>> cant
    >>> even change the desktop wallpaper ?!
    >>>

    >> LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
    >> unless you have recently had a lobotomy.<g>
    >>

    > ....I realise changing the wallpaper is not the end of the world , but was
    > just pointing out this is just one of the simple tasks that is not possible

    <g> A little less eye candy is good for your diet. :)

    OldGringo38, Aug 25, 2010
  8. tomm

    Mike Easter Guest

    tomm wrote:
    > I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
    > different operating systems.
    > Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    > Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    > Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.

    If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
    Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2010
  9. Mike Easter wrote:

    > tomm wrote:
    >> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at
    >> comes in 2 different operating systems. Win XP is £20 cheaper than
    >> win 7 starter edition. Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference
    >> but which should I go for ? Just thinking about when MS stop
    >> supporting XP

    > From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    > then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
    >
    > If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP
    > than Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    > you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    This one might fit even better. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Netbook_Edition
    It certainly costs less.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 25, 2010
  10. tomm

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, tomm wrote:

    > I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes
    > in 2 different operating systems.
    > Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    > Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    > Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    Both of those "OS's" are pieces of shit.

    Get the cheaper one, wipe the crap off the disk, and install Linux.

    I recommend this one: http://www.slackware.com

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he declared his horse a Senator.
    Dan C, Aug 25, 2010
  11. tomm

    Barry Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:33:55 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >tomm wrote:
    >> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
    >> different operating systems.
    >> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    >> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    >> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    > From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    >then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
    >
    >If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
    >Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    >you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    I had XP Pro running on a Celaron 300 with 96MB RAM.

    Barry, Aug 25, 2010
  12. tomm

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On 25 Aug 2010 03:37:48 GMT, Dan C <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I recommend this one:

    > Yeah. Advice from someone who tells everyone to format their hard
    > drive. That's the person I'd seek advice from. Right up there with
    > chucktard and richard.

    Arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics: even if
    you win, you're still retarded.

    <aside> you fucking stalker </aside>

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Aug 25, 2010
  13. Evan Platt <> wrote:

    > On 25 Aug 2010 03:37:48 GMT, Dan C <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I recommend this one:

    > Yeah. Advice from someone who tells everyone to format their hard
    > drive. That's the person I'd seek advice from. Right up there with
    > chucktard and richard.

    Arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics: even if
    you win, you're still retarded.

    <aside> you fucking stalker </aside>

    --
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only
    you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
    Nigel Armbrustor-Hudson, Aug 25, 2010
  14. tomm

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, tomm wrote:

    > I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes
    > in 2 different operating systems.
    > Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    > Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    > Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    I like the improved functionality of Win 7 but for a netbook there is a
    trade-off in performance. I had XP on my Dell 910 netbook. Removed XP and
    installed Win 7 Professional. I disabled all the fancy decorations and
    fluff and ended up with what looks very similar to XP but still retains
    the enhancements of functionality that Win 7 has. Microsoft will be
    supporting XP Professional SP3 for some time now. It's still used in a
    hell of a lot of business machines.

    Meat Plow, Aug 25, 2010
  15. tomm

    Jordon Guest

    Barry wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:33:55 -0700, Mike Easter<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> tomm wrote:
    >>> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
    >>> different operating systems.
    >>> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    >>> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    >>> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    >> From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    >> then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
    >>
    >> If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
    >> Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    >> you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    > I had XP Pro running on a Celaron 300 with 96MB RAM.

    If you're looking for a pat on the back or sympathy,
    I'll give you both.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Aug 25, 2010
  16. tomm

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 25/08/2010 08:19, Barry wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:33:55 -0700, Mike Easter<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> tomm wrote:
    >>> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
    >>> different operating systems.
    >>> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    >>> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
    >>> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    >> From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    >> then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
    >>
    >> If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
    >> Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    >> you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    > I had XP Pro running on a Celaron 300 with 96MB RAM.

    Good for you. Now run along home, your momma is calling.
    Desk Rabbit, Aug 25, 2010
  17. tomm

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/25/2010 9:29 AM Just to please that super-ego, Desk Rabbit wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > On 25/08/2010 08:19, Barry wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:33:55 -0700, Mike Easter<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    >>> then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
    >>>
    >>> If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
    >>> Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    >>> you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    >> I had XP Pro running on a Celaron 300 with 96MB RAM.

    > Good for you. Now run along home, your momma is calling.

    <g>

    OldGringo38, Aug 25, 2010
  18. tomm

    chuckcar Guest

    Barry <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:33:55 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>tomm wrote:
    >>> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at
    >>> comes in 2 different operating systems.
    >>> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
    >>> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go
    >>> for ?
    >>> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

    >> From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
    >>then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
    >>
    >>If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
    >>Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
    >>you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

    > I had XP Pro running on a Celaron 300 with 96MB RAM.

    Yes, but most people want to only shave once when their computer's
    booting.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 26, 2010
  19. tomm

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > On 8/24/2010 7:04 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:

    >>> LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
    >>> unless you have recently had a lobotomy.<g>
    >>>

    >> ....I realise changing the wallpaper is not the end of the world ,
    >> but was just pointing out this is just one of the simple tasks that
    >> is not possible
    >>

    > <g> A little less eye candy is good for your diet. :)

    I find she tends to help it. I burn more calories that way.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 26, 2010
  20. tomm

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:17:46 +0200, Arend van der Berigheid wrote:

    > "Nigel Armbrustor-Hudson" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >>> Yeah. Advice from someone who tells everyone to format their hard
    >>> drive. That's the person I'd seek advice from. Right up there with
    >>> chucktard and richard.

    >> Arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics: even
    >> if you win, you're still retarded.
    >>
    >> <aside> you fucking stalker </aside>
    >>

    > Hi Nigel, I agree with this poast!

    Wow two sock-puppets agreeing. What will they think of next?

    Meat Plow, Aug 26, 2010