Netbios problem

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Does anyone know what this is?

    User cannot re-connect drive mappings to the
    2k server from his 98SE machine when he boots
    up. I can't browse the network, but I can ping
    the server by ip address. We do not use WINS
    server. Nbtstat shows the net bios name and ip
    address for remote servers just fine, but when
    I ping a netbios name I get 'unable to resolve
    host'. Nbtstat cache is empty, and refresh does
    nothing.

    All settings on TCP config are fine (get address
    automatically) uninstalled client,adapter, and
    protocol. No change. Virus and Spyware scan found
    minor stuff by still no netbios names. Re-installed
    NIC drivers (even thought I knew this was not going
    to help) No change.

    The 'use NetBios over TCP' box on the IP protocol
    config is checked and grayed (which means it is
    always on).

    All other computers on the network work fine.

    I 'fixed' it by adding the names to the lmhosts
    file (the servers use static ip address).

    Is there a particular DLL that is responsible for
    resolving netbios names and why would it break in
    the first place (and only that)?

    kp 'Ping request could not find host kpg' g

    kpg, Sep 23, 2004

  2. circa Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:04:46 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, kpg () said,
    > Nbtstat shows the net bios name and ip
    > address for remote servers just fine, but when
    > I ping a netbios name I get 'unable to resolve
    > host'.

    Then it's not necessarily a NetBIOS issue on the client. Ping is an
    IP command, which means it may be using other name resolution
    mechanisms first before it tries NetBIOS stuff (IIRC, 9x defaults to
    enhanced b-node resolution order). I'd run a sniff and watch the
    packets between the crapbox, er, 98 machine and the server.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 23, 2004

  3. kpg

    Kurt Guest

    Can you connect from the run bar using \\ip-address?
    How 'bout \\computername?

    Kurt, Sep 23, 2004
  4. kpg

    Dragon Guest

    Can you ping the server by its FQDN?

    Dragon, Sep 24, 2004
  5. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Will try that when I get a chance. Thanx.

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. ~William G. McAdoo

    kpg, Sep 24, 2004