    Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    Cheers

    -Al

    Al, Oct 6, 2009

  2. Al

    Al Guest

    On Oct 6, 11:01 pm, Al <> wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have a VPN connection to works router, and from there I have access
    > to the network/workgroup.
    >
    > The VPN Router/DHCP etc is on a LAN IP of 10.1.1.1.
    >
    > I can connect to various network resources via IP but not via netbios
    > name. I assume I have to add 10.1.1.1 into WINS server, but that didnt
    > help!
    >
    > Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Al

    PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
    changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
    DNS servers of my internet provider).

    But sitll no joy.

    Al, Oct 6, 2009

  3. Al

    Al Guest

    On Oct 6, 11:36 pm, Al <> wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 11:01 pm, Al <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi guys,

    > > I have a VPN connection to works router, and from there I have access
    > > to the network/workgroup.

    > > The VPN Router/DHCP etc is on a LAN IP of 10.1.1.1.

    > > I can connect to various network resources via IP but not via netbios
    > > name. I assume I have to add 10.1.1.1 into WINS server, but that didnt
    > > help!

    > > Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    > > Cheers

    > > -Al

    > PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
    > changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
    > DNS servers of my internet provider).
    >
    > But sitll no joy.

    PPS: Computers on the workgroup lan dont suffer from this problem
    either....

    Al, Oct 6, 2009
  4. In message <>,
    Al wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 11:36 pm, Al <> wrote:
    > > On Oct 6, 11:01 pm, Al <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hi guys,

    > > > I have a VPN connection to works router, and from there I have access
    > > > to the network/workgroup.

    > > > The VPN Router/DHCP etc is on a LAN IP of 10.1.1.1.

    > > > I can connect to various network resources via IP but not via netbios
    > > > name. I assume I have to add 10.1.1.1 into WINS server, but that didnt
    > > > help!

    > > > Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    > > > Cheers

    > > > -Al

    > > PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
    > > changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
    > > DNS servers of my internet provider).
    > >
    > > But sitll no joy.

    > PPS: Computers on the workgroup lan dont suffer from this problem
    > either....

    This looks interesting:
    http://forums.techarena.in/server-networking/975771-2.htm

    ^_^

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 6, 2009
  5. Al

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 03:43:00 -0700 (PDT), Al wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    alt.comp.networking.routers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    >On Oct 6, 11:36 pm, Al <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 6, 11:01 pm, Al <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > Hi guys,

    >> > I have a VPN connection to works router, and from there I have access
    >> > to the network/workgroup.

    >> > The VPN Router/DHCP etc is on a LAN IP of 10.1.1.1.

    That's the router / DHCP server you mean, not the address you are
    getting from DHCP.

    >> > I can connect to various network resources via IP but not via netbios

    Assuming you mean you can't map a drive \\myservername\mysharename ,
    however \\IP address of server myservername\mysharename works?

    >> > name. I assume I have to add 10.1.1.1 into WINS server, but that didnt

    That's your local router/DHCP server it's not very likely it is a WINS
    server :) In the PC WINS section you need to add the IP address of the
    WINS server which is on your LAN.

    Then again you may also need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the WINS
    tab.

    Is your VPN/Firewall blocking NetBIOS requests?

    >> > help!

    >> > Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    Not asking your IT support :)

    >> > Cheers

    >> > -Al

    >> PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
    >> changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
    >> DNS servers of my internet provider).

    Ah you need a better VPN then, ours used the local settings of course to
    launch VPN, then it changes IP,DNS/WINS to office LAN side settings.

    >> But sitll no joy.

    >PPS: Computers on the workgroup lan dont suffer from this problem
    >either....

    They wouldn't. NetBIOS is a local segment broadcast notification, it may
    even be blocked going off the WAN. Oh and they know how to reach the
    WINS server :)

    Me

    why?, Oct 6, 2009
  6. FWIW NetBIOS sets up and maintains connections. It is a non-routable
    protocol. NetBIOS uses broadcasts to spread information about servers. It
    supports 3 services:
    Session service, This is a connection oriented protocol, peer-to-peer and
    client/server.
    Datagram service
    This is used to deliver broadcasts and is connectionless.
    Name service
    This means that no central name servers are required. There is a possibility
    to run NetBIOS over TCP/IP and then you need a name resolution-system like a
    LMHOSTS-file or A WINS server. So I don't think that is the issue. Since it
    works from a workgroup I would look at probably a Domain trust issue or a
    Policy issue. What VPN software are you using.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Oct 7, 2009
  7. Al

    Leythos Guest

    Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking

    In article <hagije$ggs$>, says...

    Notice how PCBUTTS1 has had to change accounts in order to post after a
    valid DMCA violation complaint was filed with his giganews provider.

    Notice how the stalker uses my name to register an account with a
    foreign Usenet provider.

    Trust yourself.
    (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Leythos, Oct 7, 2009
  8. Al

    Leythos Guest

    Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking

    In article <>,
    says...
    > BTW you
    > see my headers.... Giganews right so stop your lying. IDIOT

    Like I said, you won't post the link to the pirated code using your
    Giganews account, you switched to a foreign one because of the complaint
    with Giganews.

    Keep stalking me, it just adds another nail in your coffin.

    Leythos, Oct 7, 2009
  9. Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking

    6 years, he's a persistent troll.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Oct 7, 2009
  10. Al

    Leythos Guest

    Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking

    In article <haguev$bmb$>, says...
    > From: "The Real Truth MVP" <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.networking.routers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > Subject: Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking
    > Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:29:49 -0700

    Actually, if you look at the headers, you can see that you're the one
    stalking me, why else would you create an account in my name?

    Notice the content of the message ID:

    The only reason you have that account is because of the VALID DMCA
    violation complaint to Giganews because of the links you post on their
    service - right after it was served you created the motzarella.org
    account in my name.

    So, again, you've outed yourself as a stalker, like in your sig, and
    that you blame me for exposing your piracy - you are a sick person.

    Leythos, Oct 7, 2009
  11. Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking

    See the date below stalker. Nothing was created because of some alledged
    complaint. Now I know why you have been checking my headers. You are still
    trying to stop me by filing fraudulent complaints again you sick phuk.

    The Real Truth MVP, Oct 7, 2009
  12. Al

    Leythos Guest

    Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking

    In article <haj29h$dad$>, says...
    > See the date below stalker. Nothing was created because of some alledged
    > complaint. Now I know why you have been checking my headers. You are still
    > trying to stop me by filing fraudulent complaints again you sick phuk.

    HA HA HA - and this single bit, in your header, of the message I'm
    repling to, proves YOU ARE STALKING ME:

    Notice how you created an account in MY NAME.

    I've never filed a DMCA complaint about you, not once, ever, period.

    I see you're not posting links to your pirate ware from your
    giganews.com account - why is that stalker?

    Leythos, Oct 8, 2009