NetBIOS name resolution working over wired, not over wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by johndog, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. johndog

    johndog Guest

    On my laptop, I have had trouble consistently being able to access machines
    on my home network by name (using ping or net view).

    So I ran this experiment:

    1) Wireless.
    .... While connected to wireless, I ran 'ping chaniv'.
    .... Result: "Ping request could not find host chaniv. Please check the name
    and try again."
    2) Wired.
    .... I then disabled the wireless network connection (right-click->disable),
    and plugged the laptop into one of the wired ports on the same wireless
    router/hub.
    .... I ran 'ping chaniv' again.
    .... Result: Immediate success.

    When connected exclusively over wireless, browstat thinks browsing is working:

    >browstat status bobo

    Status for domain bobo on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F17754C9-0250-4C44-A965-083645F3A0C9}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: BOBOX2
    Master browser is running build 2600
    1 backup servers retrieved from master BOBOX2
    \\BOBOX2
    There are 2 servers in domain bobo on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F17754C9-0250-4C44-A965-083645F3A0C9}
    There are 1 domains in domain bobo on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F17754C9-0250-4C44-A965-083645F3A0C9}

    >browstat view 1 bobo

    Remoting NetServerEnum to \\BOBOX2 on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F17754C9-0250-4C44-A965-083645F3A0C9} with flags ffffffff
    2 entries returned. 2 total. 30 milliseconds

    \\BOBOX2 NT 05.01 (W,S,PQ,NT,PBR,BBR,MBR)
    \\CHANIV NT 05.01 (W,S,PQ,NT,PBR,BBR)

    Even though it shows up in the listing above, ping of chaniv doesn't work.
    Immediately after doing this, 'ping bobox2' DOES work; whichever of the two
    machines is listed as the master browser is temporarily accessible.
    Eventually, however, even that host will stop working until I run 'browstat
    status bobo' again. Somehow that must be causing the IP of the master
    browser to be cached.

    Since this only happens when I'm connected wirelessly, and I'm using exactly
    the same DHCP server between wired/wireless, can I conclude that my wireless
    base station is not passing all the netbios broadcast traffic correctly, in
    order to allow name resolution? Or is it also possible my wireless client is
    somehow messing up also?

    All the wired clients can see each other just fine with 'ping' et al.

    Thanks,
    John

    johndog, Feb 15, 2008