    much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed
    will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess
    is 19,200 but I'am not sure.

    stanley_reynolds, Jan 4, 2005

  2. stanley_reynolds

    Dmitri Guest

    stanley_reynolds wrote:

    > Tried to use Net2phone over a dialup modem and the delay was very long
    > 2 to 7 seconds this was cross town to a broadband modem. 56k modem
    > connects at anywhere from 31k to 40k but I know the unlink speed is
    > much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed
    > will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess
    > is 19,200 but I'am not sure.

    From what I've tried so far only Skype's quality did not come down
    significantly over dial-up, and that is not guranteed, either. A lot
    depends on the voice compression and the actual architecture you are
    using: client-to-server for Net2phone (and other "traditional" VoIP
    providers) and peer-to-peer for Skype.

    I don't recall the actual bandwidth Net2Phone requires for their VoiceLine
    service, but it is higher than that of a 56K modem.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

    Dmitri, Jan 4, 2005

  3. stanley_reynolds

    Martin² Guest

    Babble also claimed it works on dial up, yes it will connect and NO you
    can't hold a conversation !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 5, 2005
  4. stanley_reynolds

    Tim Keating Guest

    On 4 Jan 2005 02:16:50 -0800, "stanley_reynolds"
    <> wrote:

    >Tried to use Net2phone over a dialup modem and the delay was very long
    >2 to 7 seconds this was cross town to a broadband modem. 56k modem
    >connects at anywhere from 31k to 40k but I know the unlink speed is
    >much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed
    >will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess
    >is 19,200 but I'am not sure.

    Set the modem to computer baud rate to 115.2K, 230.4K, or higher.
    Make sure your modem compression settings are turned on.
    Shut off any encryption.
    Shut off PPP (software compression) compression. (see
    networking/type of dialup connection settings).

    (The last two items add significant variability to the dial up
    connection latency.)

    Tim Keating, Jan 8, 2005