.NET Hosting Solutions

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by LFO, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. LFO

    LFO Guest

    Starting .NET MCSD CBT courses from LearnKey in a couple
    of weeks
    ( http://www.learnkey.com/store/images/NETMCSD.php ). As
    I go through the training I want to mimic a production
    environment to practice the skills learn. I thought of
    trying to setup IIS 6.0 on a Windows 2003 Server and
    installing SQL Server 2000. This seems like a costly
    approach, in both time and money

    A good alternative seems to be using a hosting service.
    Having been burnt in the past when choosing a MySQL host
    only to learn too late that many functions for MySQL
    simply didn't exist with the service, I need advice on
    choosing the correct host for my training objective.

    Two that I have looked at are www.discountasp.net and
    www.nexpoint.net, there seems to be a cost difference. A
    bigger concern is features. The last thing I want is to
    get to a point in my training and not be able to
    implement a solution due to a lack of host support.
    Looking for opinions on these or better hosting services.

    As I am learning, I just don't have the knowledge to
    fully evaluate the services. Following MCSD certification
    I will be taking a course in C#
    (http://www.learnkey.com/store/images/CSharpForDevelopers.
    asp ).
    LFO, Jul 5, 2004

  2. If you want a SQL Server database with your hosting, then you may want to
    look at http://www.ourinternet.us. I'm not affiliated with them. I'm just
    a satisfied customer. I've deployed my own ASP.NET app, plus my own
    customized version of the portal starter kit. Any issues I had were quickly
    resolved.

    Derek M. A. Lee-Wo
    Email: (Home) (Work)

    "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

    Derek M. A. Lee-Wo, Jul 5, 2004

  3. LFO

    Guest Guest

    You can find 180 day eveluation versions of 2003 Server and SQL Server 2000.

    Guest, Jul 5, 2004
  4. LFO

    Me Guest

    Speaking as one who has stumbled over Win2K3 with web
    apps, it might be a really good itea for you to get the
    evals WKidd suggests. Nothing like messing things up for
    yourself, to get something to work..........( not that
    you'll mess anything up..) But it makes for good
    conversation in these newgroups.....ha ha.

    Get the evals!!!!!!!!!
    There is so much you'll be overlooking by having someone
    host your web apps.

    I've embarassed myself severely by learning "inpublic",
    but I LEARNED.

    Good luck.

    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  5. LFO

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 5, 2004
  6. >You can find 180 day eveluation versions of 2003 Server and SQL Server 2000.

    YOU KNOW DAMN RIGHT!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  7. LFO

    Eric Guest

    Derek M. A. Lee-Wo wrote:

    > If you want a SQL Server database with your hosting, then you may
    > want to look at http://www.ourinternet.us. I'm not affiliated with
    > them. I'm just a satisfied customer. I've deployed my own ASP.NET
    > app, plus my own customized version of the portal starter kit. Any
    > issues I had were quickly resolved.

    I am going with http://1planhost.com. They charge $99 for a whole year,
    plus $35 a year extra if you want SQL Server. They seems to have the
    highest amount of disk space, and bytes of transfer bandwidth for the
    money.

    Eric
    Eric, Jul 6, 2004
  8. LFO

    Guest Guest

    When choosing an ASP.NET host, you will need to verify that they support web
    forms. Some don't.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2004
  9. You may want to check out the free ASP.NET resource CD, here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/asprk/
    It comes with an offer for web hosting at $10/month or €10/month from various hosting outfits.
    =?Utf-8?B?TW9zYWlj?=, Jul 8, 2004
  10. LFO

    Suvra Barua Guest

    Hi,

    You are right to that it is costly approach, in both time and money.
    Perhaps
    it is better to go with a hosting company that gives you all the
    options. To me useing MySql is better option to use at this moment.
    Don't thinks i am SPAM ing I just answering directly. I work for a Web
    hosting company and we are specialized in ASP and .Net hosting and
    also supporting every service for MySQL if you want to work with
    mySQL. And tell you frankly to me our SQL Server2000 is for resellers.
    However SME kit is suitable for you. If you are confused feel free to
    contact our support team.

    Suvra Barua

    Internet promoter
    M6.Net
    http://www.m6.net
    Windows 2003 hosting - ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, CGI, Perl, FTP, Frontpage
    extension
    SQL 2000, MS Access,MySsql, Emails, Stats with 24 hour support.
    Starting from
    $4 m/o and 250 MB space. 20GB bandwidth.

    Suvra Barua, Jul 12, 2004
  11. mysqlis toy, no more, no less. Maybe it's good for hosting pornsites,
    but for real world business implementations, anyone that uses mysql is
    barking mad...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 17, 2004