net framework update files- do I need them?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Oct 10, 2010.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Running Win XP SP3

    One of the recent .net framework updates failed to install and now I
    cannot get rid of the update popup and the update shield in my
    systray.
    I have removed all the .net framework files using the .net cleanup
    tool which has removed the update shield.

    There appears to be 5 .net framework files for my XP computer at the
    Windows Update site as follows:

    .. net framework v 1.1
    " " 3.5 SP1
    " " 3.5 family update
    " " 4
    " " 4 Client profile

    My question is this: I am just a home user and do not do any
    programming or business applications, but do use the internet for
    browsing and email and image and video downloading - why should I
    install the above .net framework files? Will my pc be affected
    negatively if the files are not reinstalled?

    Thanks for any assistance and advice.

    Mary
    ECLiPSE 2002, Oct 10, 2010

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:22:26 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 writ:

    > Running Win XP SP3
    >
    > One of the recent .net framework updates failed to install and now I
    > cannot get rid of the update popup and the update shield in my systray.
    > I have removed all the .net framework files using the .net cleanup tool
    > which has removed the update shield.
    >
    > There appears to be 5 .net framework files for my XP computer at the
    > Windows Update site as follows:
    >
    > . net framework v 1.1
    > " " 3.5 SP1
    > " " 3.5 family update " " 4
    > " " 4 Client profile
    >
    > My question is this: I am just a home user and do not do any programming
    > or business applications, but do use the internet for browsing and email
    > and image and video downloading - why should I install the above .net
    > framework files? Will my pc be affected negatively if the files are not
    > reinstalled?

    Some applications depend on the .Net framework to function. That's why
    you install it - it doesn't matter that you're not a developer.
    Presumably you're not a Java developer, either, but you still need Java
    installed for certain apps to run, because /they/ need Java. :)

    If you don't want to install them, don't. Sooner or later you might
    (probably will) run into something that depends on the framework, and
    you'll know why it's not working.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:
    freemont, Oct 10, 2010

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:22:26 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

    > Running Win XP SP3
    >
    > One of the recent .net framework updates failed to install and now I
    > cannot get rid of the update popup and the update shield in my systray.
    > I have removed all the .net framework files using the .net cleanup tool
    > which has removed the update shield.
    >
    > There appears to be 5 .net framework files for my XP computer at the
    > Windows Update site as follows:
    >
    > . net framework v 1.1
    > " " 3.5 SP1
    > " " 3.5 family update " " 4
    > " " 4 Client profile
    >
    > My question is this: I am just a home user and do not do any programming
    > or business applications, but do use the internet for browsing and email
    > and image and video downloading - why should I install the above .net
    > framework files? Will my pc be affected negatively if the files are not
    > reinstalled?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance and advice.
    >
    > Mary

    If it isn't broke don't fix it. Any program needing the NET framework
    will complain if it's not there or the right version.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support <snipped>

    Meat Plow, Oct 10, 2010
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    thanatoid Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 <> wrote in

    > Running Win XP SP3
    >
    > One of the recent .net framework updates failed to install
    > and now I cannot get rid of the update popup and the update
    > shield in my systray.
    > I have removed all the .net framework files using the .net
    > cleanup tool which has removed the update shield.

    HAH! See below.

    > There appears to be 5 .net framework files for my XP
    > computer at the Windows Update site as follows:
    >
    > . net framework v 1.1
    > " " 3.5 SP1
    > " " 3.5 family update

    "Family" update. I love it. Fucking MS.

    > " " 4
    > " " 4 Client profile
    >
    > My question is this: I am just a home user and do not do
    > any programming or business applications, but do use the
    > internet for browsing and email and image and video
    > downloading - why should I install the above .net framework
    > files? Will my pc be affected negatively if the files are
    > not reinstalled?

    If you do not do /everything/ that MS wants you to,
    men/women/other in MS 4-colored suits will come and kill you.

    The updates are not installing because you are a bad
    boy/girl/other and have not upgraded to the latest Win7 spyware
    OS. [Probably, I do not know for sure - I still semi-happily use
    a pre-XP MS OS with NO other MS shitware installed, and I do NOT
    do NET, etc.]

    OF COURSE YOU DO NOT NEED ANY OF THAT SHIT, NOR DO YOU NEED
    ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS CLUTTERING UP 80% OF YOUR WINDOWS/PROGRAM
    FILES/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION/MY
    DOCUSHIT DIRECTORIES (YOU MAY KNOW THEM AS "FOLDERS").

    OTOH, if you were stupid enough to install any of the currently
    popular 20-150MB "programs" which /require/ MS NET, you MAY need
    some of that shit.

    Of course, there are better and faster alternative programs 2 to
    5 MB's in size which have been around for years, are free, safe,
    do not **** up your computer, do not spy on you, and do NOT
    require any of this MS shit, but you have to have a clue to find
    them.

    Please do not bother complaining about my language and attitude
    - many have, to no avail.

    Have a lovely MS day.

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid
    thanatoid, Oct 10, 2010
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    Mike Easter Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    The MS MVPs do not hangout in MS public newsgroups anymore and the
    participation in those groups is but a shadow of its former self because
    MS no longer supports and carries the groups on the MS news server
    because MS wants people to communicate another way.

    MS public group deleted from my message.

    > I have removed all the .net framework files using the .net cleanup
    > tool which has removed the update shield.

    Are you talking about Aaron Stebner's tool?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/ Aaron Stebner's WebLog

    > Thanks for any assistance and advice.

    You might or might not need some .NET functions.

    I don't think the .NET should be left in a state of disrepair, but
    removed properly and if necessary reinstalled.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 10, 2010
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks to all responders for their imputs and insights. No issues
    encountered thus far based on what I am currently using, i.e.,

    EMAIL: Thunderbird latest version, so far no apparent problems
    BROWSER: Firefox latest edition and IE 7, so far no apparent problems
    NEWSREADER for video and image downloading: Forte Agent no apparent
    problems yet
    IMAGE APPLICATIONS: Picasa and Irfan
    VIDEO APPLICATIONS: Gom media player and WMP
    SECURITY APPLICATIONS: Avast Antivirus, CC Cleaner, Glary
    Utilities(some), Advanced Windows Care, (some), Smart Defrag,
    Malwarebytes, Revo Uninstaller

    I do not use Microsoft Office, but do use PowerPoint Viewer

    So far I have not encountered any problems with other Windows apps or
    programs. I guess time will tell when something doesn't work.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Oct 11, 2010