.Net Framework 1.1 SP1 on Vista x64 - Supported?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZHNlYW1hbg==?=, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. I'm trying to install the .NET Framework 1.1 on Vista Business x64, RTM. I
    downloaded the 11/29/2006 build that says it supports Vista. It specifically
    calls out x64 2003 and XP, but not x64 Vista so maybe it's not supported?

    When I try and run the dotnetfx.exe installer I get a UAC prompt (expected),
    I click Yes on "Would you lke to install Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1
    Package" and then immediately I get "An error occurred while Windows
    Installer was initializing. Setup will now close."

    So I try and get cleaver and extract all the files from the self-extracting
    executible and run the netfx.msi package. I then get a compatibility warning
    and it directs me to the 1.1 SP1 download. I go ahead and install the base
    1.1 package and then install the SP1 package. I get another compatibility
    warning on the SP1 package that tells me to download the SP1 package, the
    very one I'm trying to install! Microsoft, please get your story straight. :)

    After all of that, it seems to have installed. Is this really a supported
    configuration and should I expect problems, or were the warnings false
    alerts? I didn't see any additional updates beyond SP1 for .Netframework 1.1
    that I need. I ran Windows Update and it didn't flag any more updates or
    patches.

    So my two comments/questions are:

    1. Microsoft, please fix the installer so that I don't need to manually
    extract the base install files and run the .MSI packge.

    2. Fix the compatibility warning for the SP1 file so that it doesn't
    re-direct me to the very download that I'm installing to fix the first
    compatibility warning.

    3. Or repackage the .Net Framework 1.1 and SP1 into a single package so that
    you don't get any warnings and it just works. Gasp! :)

    4. Is this really supported on Vista x64?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHNlYW1hbg==?=, Feb 5, 2007