    question on your own damn thread, but that's me!

    What's the consensus on this?

    Jeff

    Jeff M. Ingram, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Jeff M. Ingram

    olfart Guest

    "Jeff M. Ingram" <> wrote in message
    news:c6mvvq$4m7d$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Net Etiquette: Is it impolite to post your own question(s) in the middle

    of
    > someone else's newsgroups posts? I've seen others somewhat unrelated
    > questions steer the discussion away from the original poster's question.
    > I've seen a lot of this and it seems rude to me! Say the poster never
    > actually got the answer they were looking for? I'd say post your own damn
    > question on your own damn thread, but that's me!
    >
    > What's the consensus on this?
    >
    > Jeff

    Better put on your asbestos shorts

    olfart, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Jeff M. Ingram

    Boomer Guest

    "Jeff M. Ingram" <> did say:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Net Etiquette: Is it impolite to post your own question(s) in the
    > middle of someone else's newsgroups posts? I've seen others
    > somewhat unrelated questions steer the discussion away from the
    > original poster's question. I've seen a lot of this and it seems
    > rude to me! Say the poster never actually got the answer they
    > were looking for? I'd say post your own damn question on your own
    > damn thread, but that's me!
    >
    > What's the consensus on this?
    >
    > Jeff

    Sure it's rude... but that happens a lot on usenet.

    Boomer, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Jeff M. Ingram

    °Mike° Guest

    If a direct question, unrelated to the original, is asked
    in the middle of a thread, it is unlikely to get the same
    amount of attention as a question posed separately.

    Is it impolite? That's subjective.
    Is it bad form? Definitely.

    Often, though, threads have a habit of taking off on
    a tangent, and this is normal in usenet, just as it's
    normal for a conversation to drift, from time to time.

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:05:50 -0400, in
    <c6mvvq$4m7d$>
    Jeff M. Ingram scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Jeff M. Ingram

    gangle Guest

    How many square inches of flesh does your scrotum
    occupy?

    "°Mike°" wrote

    gangle, Apr 28, 2004
  6. Jeff M. Ingram

    philo Guest

    Re: Net Etiquite: Is it impolite to post your own questioin(s) inthe middle of someone elses newsgroups posts?

    Jeff M. Ingram wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Net Etiquette: Is it impolite to post your own question(s) in the middle of
    > someone else's newsgroups posts? I've seen others somewhat unrelated
    > questions steer the discussion away from the original poster's question.
    > I've seen a lot of this and it seems rude to me! Say the poster never
    > actually got the answer they were looking for? I'd say post your own damn
    > question on your own damn thread, but that's me!
    >
    > What's the consensus on this?
    >
    > Jeff

    Yes...it's impolite...but it's done a thousand times a day.

    Some poor soul will ask a question...

    then there will be a long thread of people discussing one of the OP's
    mis-spelled words.

    Usenet makes great entertainment I think...

    philo, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Jeff M. Ingram

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:05:50 -0400, "Jeff M. Ingram"
    <> scribbled:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Net Etiquette: Is it impolite to post your own question(s) in the middle of
    >someone else's newsgroups posts? I've seen others somewhat unrelated
    >questions steer the discussion away from the original poster's question.
    >I've seen a lot of this and it seems rude to me! Say the poster never
    >actually got the answer they were looking for? I'd say post your own damn
    >question on your own damn thread, but that's me!
    >
    >What's the consensus on this?

    Does pickled herring taste like pickles or herring?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Jeff M. Ingram

    gangle Guest

    "philo" wrote
    > Jeff M. Ingram wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Net Etiquette: Is it impolite to post your own question(s) in the middle of
    > > someone else's newsgroups posts? I've seen others somewhat unrelated
    > > questions steer the discussion away from the original poster's question.
    > > I've seen a lot of this and it seems rude to me! Say the poster never
    > > actually got the answer they were looking for? I'd say post your own damn
    > > question on your own damn thread, but that's me!
    > >
    > > What's the consensus on this?
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > Yes...it's impolite...but it's done a thousand times a day.
    >
    > Some poor soul will ask a question...
    >
    > then there will be a long thread of people discussing one of the OP's
    > mis-spelled words.
    >
    > Usenet makes great entertainment I think...

    You misspelled "misspelled."

    gangle, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Jeff M. Ingram

    Richard John Guest

    Re: Net Etiquite: Is it impolite to post your own questioin(s) inthe middle of someone elses newsgroups posts?

    Does anyone know why M.....
    only joking ;)

    Richard John, Apr 28, 2004
  10. Jeff M. Ingram

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Jeff M. Ingram mused:

    | Net Etiquette ....

    It's also considered bad form to put your entire question in the title
    of your post.

    mhicaoidh, Apr 28, 2004
  11. Jeff M. Ingram

    °Mike° Guest

    17.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:16:56 -0700, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 28, 2004
  12. Jeff M. Ingram

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel mhicaoidh
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Taking a moment's reflection, Jeff M. Ingram mused:
    >>
    >> Net Etiquette ....

    > It's also considered bad form to put your entire question in the
    > title of your post.

    <applauds loudly>
    <cheers loudly>
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 28, 2004
  13. Jeff M. Ingram

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Jeff da Doofus
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Net Etiquette: Is it impolite to post your own question(s) in the
    > middle of someone else's newsgroups posts? I've seen others somewhat
    > unrelated questions steer the discussion away from the original
    > poster's question. I've seen a lot of this and it seems rude to me!
    > Say the poster never actually got the answer they were looking for?
    > I'd say post your own damn question on your own damn thread, but
    > that's me!
    >
    > What's the consensus on this?

    Wouldn't it been more proper to use the words 'general opinion' rather than
    'concensus' ?

    Concensus sounds very official, as if you are compiling data.

    What's the general opinion on this ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 28, 2004
  14. Jeff M. Ingram

    Plato Guest

    gangle wrote:

    > How many square inches of flesh does your scrotum
    > occupy?

    Lost yet another boyfriend eh?

    Plato, Apr 29, 2004