    This censorship is practised on every continent on Earth, said the report."

    Not so shocking is it?

    --Im

    Imhotep, May 5, 2006

  2. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:17:18 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >"Repressive regimes are taking full advantage of the net's ability to censor
    >and stifle reform and debate, reveals a report.
    >
    >Written by the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) pressure group the report
    >highlights the ways governments threaten the freedom of the press.
    >
    >The report has a section dedicated to the internet and the growing roster of
    >nations censoring online life.
    >
    >This censorship is practised on every continent on Earth, said the report."
    >
    >Not so shocking is it?
    >
    >--Im
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4973114.stm

    Things like that should be kept quiet ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 5, 2006

  3. Imhotep

    zadoc Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:40:32 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote in <> :

    |>On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:17:18 -0400, Imhotep <>
    |>wrote:
    |>
    |>>"Repressive regimes are taking full advantage of the net's ability to censor
    |>>and stifle reform and debate, reveals a report.
    |>>
    |>>Written by the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) pressure group the report
    |>>highlights the ways governments threaten the freedom of the press.
    |>>
    |>>The report has a section dedicated to the internet and the growing roster of
    |>>nations censoring online life.
    |>>
    |>>This censorship is practised on every continent on Earth, said the report."
    |>>
    |>>Not so shocking is it?
    |>>
    |>>--Im
    |>>
    |>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4973114.stm
    |>
    |>Things like that should be kept quiet ...

    Am curious. Can you offer a reason for your advisory?

    Naturally there is going to be a certain amount of "censorship"
    in any country, of whatever type.

    Would you care to explain in more detail?

    Incidentally, have finally managed to get an order through for
    "Spy ware Doctor" and an associated program, but only through the
    Australian company. Finally got a valid Internet address for
    them, valid phone number, etc.

    Purchased "Spy ware Doctor", but disappointed to find that
    registration procedure required personal name, which I find
    unacceptable.

    Oh well, if cannot get them to rectify this, can always cancel
    the service and get a refund.

    There was a special offer on "Privacy Guardian" but this not only
    had the above defect but also demanded that I insert a Dell
    installation disk.

    Probably could find it if looked, but can't help wondering why
    the company would ask for it at all. Why should they need
    information to modify my system, or even seek to do so?

    I might mention that even canceling the installation procedure
    wasn't that easy.

    Have notified the company about these issues but no reply as yet.

    Personally, I find both of the requests unreasonable and am
    tempted to cancel the order. I simply see no reasons for either
    requirement.

    Regards,

    zadoc, May 5, 2006
  4. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 08:36:19 GMT, zadoc <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:40:32 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    >wrote in <> :

    >|>Things like that should be kept quiet ...
    >
    >Am curious. Can you offer a reason for your advisory?

    I am taking the piss and also reproducing the story and the
    link in order that more people get to read it because I agree
    with the original poster.

    Lets keep discussion of the other matter to a seperate thread.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 5, 2006
  5. Imhotep

    zadoc Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:39:48 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote in <> :

    |>On Fri, 05 May 2006 08:36:19 GMT, zadoc <> wrote:

    |>>Am curious. Can you offer a reason for your advisory?
    |>
    |>I am taking the piss and also reproducing the story and the
    |>link in order that more people get to read it because I agree
    |>with the original poster.
    |>
    |>Lets keep discussion of the other matter to a seperate thread.

    Fair enough, they are separate issues, so I suppose will have to
    read the original BBC cite.

    Before I do so, though, I will raise the issue that some
    censorship can, IMHO, be justified.

    No, am not particularly interested in political or pornographic
    censorship, am just pointing out that complex societies such as
    those which we live in could easily be seriously disrupted with
    only a minimum amount of expertise.

    So lets say that hypothetical terrorist "T" doesn't know how to
    do this from a scientific or engineering point of view.

    However, if there is no censorship at all, worldwide, "T" can
    access this from some site on the net? Is there not some
    argument for a degree of "censorship" here?

    What do we mean by "censorship" anyway? Political censorship on
    political views?

    Sexual censorship on the grounds that some material may "offend"
    someone, somewhere, somehow?

    Religious censorship on the same grounds?

    .....But isn't this a lot different than "censoring" material or
    sites that provide same, on how to sabotage an organized, but ill
    protected society?

    Personally, I think we have to face the fact that "first world"
    societies were designed for maximum freedom, and little thought
    was given to possible sabotage, destruction of essential
    infrastructure, mass poisonings, etc.

    Although various "terror novels" have dealt with a variety of
    these.

    So again, before I even read the article, lets take a quick look
    at news censorship. Is it even possible these days in most
    countries?

    Sexual censorship? There isn't even any general agreement on
    what should or should not be available. There is so much
    disagreement on the issue that perhaps the only solution is to
    set up a separate domain for the more extreme forms of "pay
    porno" but am not even sure that this would work all that well.

    Anyway, just some preliminary thoughts, when I read the article
    cited may come back with more detailed views.

    Cheers,

    zadoc, May 5, 2006
  6. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    zadoc wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:40:32 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    > wrote in <> :

    > |>Things like that should be kept quiet ...
    >
    > Am curious. Can you offer a reason for your advisory?

    I firmly believe in free speech yet, I have witnessed the erosion of it. Ask
    yourself why would any country need to regulate your free speech rights?
    Answer that, you will understand why I posted this.

    > Naturally there is going to be a certain amount of "censorship"
    > in any country, of whatever type.

    Why? Why does any country need censor your free speech? Do you live in
    China? Do you want to live in a country like China? Governments only need
    to censor you if they are not doing their "job" and do not want people
    sharing ideas in a "grass roots forum"....

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, May 6, 2006
  7. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    zadoc wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:39:48 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    > wrote in <> :

    > |>I am taking the piss and also reproducing the story and the
    > |>link in order that more people get to read it because I agree
    > |>with the original poster.
    > |>
    > |>Lets keep discussion of the other matter to a seperate thread.
    >
    > Fair enough, they are separate issues, so I suppose will have to
    > read the original BBC cite.
    >
    > Before I do so, though, I will raise the issue that some
    > censorship can, IMHO, be justified.
    >
    > No, am not particularly interested in political or pornographic
    > censorship, am just pointing out that complex societies such as
    > those which we live in could easily be seriously disrupted with
    > only a minimum amount of expertise.
    >
    > So lets say that hypothetical terrorist "T" doesn't know how to
    > do this from a scientific or engineering point of view.
    >
    > However, if there is no censorship at all, worldwide, "T" can
    > access this from some site on the net? Is there not some
    > argument for a degree of "censorship" here?
    >
    > What do we mean by "censorship" anyway? Political censorship on
    > political views?
    >
    > Sexual censorship on the grounds that some material may "offend"
    > someone, somewhere, somehow?
    >
    > Religious censorship on the same grounds?
    >
    > ....But isn't this a lot different than "censoring" material or
    > sites that provide same, on how to sabotage an organized, but ill
    > protected society?
    >
    > Personally, I think we have to face the fact that "first world"
    > societies were designed for maximum freedom, and little thought
    > was given to possible sabotage, destruction of essential
    > infrastructure, mass poisonings, etc.
    >
    > Although various "terror novels" have dealt with a variety of
    > these.
    >
    > So again, before I even read the article, lets take a quick look
    > at news censorship. Is it even possible these days in most
    > countries?
    >
    > Sexual censorship? There isn't even any general agreement on
    > what should or should not be available. There is so much
    > disagreement on the issue that perhaps the only solution is to
    > set up a separate domain for the more extreme forms of "pay
    > porno" but am not even sure that this would work all that well.
    >
    > Anyway, just some preliminary thoughts, when I read the article
    > cited may come back with more detailed views.
    >
    > Cheers,

    The problem with sensorship is that it it subjective. The other problem is
    that it is a lie. Look at the recent Google vs The US Government. The US
    Gov. wanted Google to submit users who were going to child porn sites *AND*
    1 million randomly chosen users and the sites they visited. Ask yourself a
    question. If the US gov was really after people who visited child porn
    sites why the request 1 million random users?

    Here is the problem. Freedom is the most precious thing you can have. As
    soon as you take away a little bit, you open the door to take away more.
    Governments know that they are not taking care of the needs of the "many"
    but instead are taking care of the needs of the "few" (ie the rich). In
    order to maintain the illusion that they are taking care of the "many", you
    need to maintain the illusion and keep people separated, for when people
    unite change is much easier to obtain....this is why their is a push for
    censorship. DON'T FALL FOR IT!

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, May 6, 2006
  8. Imhotep

    optikl Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > "Repressive regimes are taking full advantage of the net's ability to censor
    > and stifle reform and debate, reveals a report.
    >
    > Written by the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) pressure group the report
    > highlights the ways governments threaten the freedom of the press.
    >
    > The report has a section dedicated to the internet and the growing roster of
    > nations censoring online life.
    >
    > This censorship is practised on every continent on Earth, said the report."
    >
    > Not so shocking is it?
    >
    > --Im

    If you've ever sat in a meeting with others, you'll quickly understand
    that it's human nature to not welcome negative attention.

    No, it's not surprising, nor is it unexpected from individuals holding
    office in powerful institutions.

    What's truly unexpected is the growing number of those in historically
    democratic republics who don't find it troubling that any criticism of
    their leaders is deemed unpatriotic.

    optikl, May 6, 2006