nervous

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    over the past 5 years i must have fixed up hundreds of old-clunker
    computers...
    and given most of them away to folks who could not afford one.

    at any one time i must have at least a dozen or so spare machines...all
    ready to go...
    and at times it's been as many as 35+

    well today i actually sold a couple of my better ones...
    and when i counted up all i had left...i saw i was down to just 4 !!!

    i was getting pretty nervous!

    went upstairs
    and the phone rang...
    someone had a surplus they wanted to get rid of...
    and within an hour they brought over some real fine junkers...
    one of them was even a dual processor server ...133 mhz!!!!

    what a nice bunch of junk

    philo, Dec 24, 2005

  2. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    philo spewed forth:
    > over the past 5 years i must have fixed up hundreds of old-clunker
    > computers...
    > and given most of them away to folks who could not afford one.
    >
    > at any one time i must have at least a dozen or so spare
    > machines...all ready to go...
    > and at times it's been as many as 35+
    >
    > well today i actually sold a couple of my better ones...
    > and when i counted up all i had left...i saw i was down to just 4 !!!
    >
    > i was getting pretty nervous!
    >

    > went upstairs
    > and the phone rang...
    > someone had a surplus they wanted to get rid of...
    > and within an hour they brought over some real fine junkers...
    > one of them was even a dual processor server ...133 mhz!!!!
    >
    > what a nice bunch of junk

    Heh heh! I'm still running a dual processor PII 450MHz server at the office.
    Does what I need - router/firewall for Internet access. The file server is
    much more powerful.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 24, 2005

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Heh heh! I'm still running a dual processor PII 450MHz server at the
    > office. Does what I need - router/firewall for Internet access. The file
    > server is much more powerful.

    yep i had one
    and gave it away...
    then got another.

    sold it for $25

    and a few weeks later bought one for $25...
    it has a few noisy ultra-wide drives in it...
    not a bad machine

    philo, Dec 24, 2005
  4. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    philo spewed forth:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Heh heh! I'm still running a dual processor PII 450MHz server at the
    >> office. Does what I need - router/firewall for Internet access. The
    >> file server is much more powerful.
    >>

    > yep i had one
    > and gave it away...
    > then got another.
    >
    > sold it for $25
    >
    > and a few weeks later bought one for $25...
    > it has a few noisy ultra-wide drives in it...
    > not a bad machine

    They are certainly fun - I love to keep old stuff running <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 24, 2005
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    > They are certainly fun - I love to keep old stuff running <g>

    Yes i have the whole collection
    a few 8088's
    a nice 286 that i put a memory expansion board in and has 16 megs of RAM!!!
    a 386-40 with win95 on it
    and an ibm ps/2 486-33 SCSI
    plus a P-1 of course

    and even an old cp/m machine...a Kaypro

    if you like old junk you can always check in at
    www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/helpline

    philo, Dec 24, 2005