Nero updated to v7.8.5.0

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Carlos <> wrote:

    > Ahead has updated its flagship product (Nero Burning ROM) to
    > version 7.8.5.0 http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php
    > Download link:
    > ftp://ftp6.use.nero.com/software/Nero7/update/Nero-7.8.5.0_eng_upda
    > te.exe or:
    > http://ftp2.use.nero.com/software/Nero7/update/Nero-7.8.5.0_eng_upd
    > ate.exe

    From the site:

    "Microsoft® Windows Vista x64 Edition (all applications besides InCD,
    Nero DiscCopy and Nero ImageDrive work in the x86 emulator that allows
    32-bit Windows applications to run)"

    If that means no InCD for Vista 64 than it's not very useful for me.
    <sigh>

    David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User, Mar 20, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Roxio Drag-to-disk works with Vista (86 + 64)

    John Barnes, Mar 20, 2007
  4. I can confirm Roxios Easy Media Creator 9 works with Vista Ultimate x64.

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Core 2 Extreme X6800

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Mar 20, 2007
  5. Maratonmannen <> wrote:

    > I can confirm Roxios Easy Media Creator 9 works with Vista
    > Ultimate x64.

    I'm absolutely delighted to hear that as Costco has a fairly decent
    price on Roxio.

    Will I get the equivalent of InCD? LightScribe?

    David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User, Mar 20, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Drag-to-disk is the equivalent of InCd LightScribe, I don't know. They
    have a label maker, and don't you just print to your lightscribe printer.

    John Barnes, Mar 20, 2007
  7. "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > Drag-to-disk is the equivalent of InCd LightScribe, I don't
    > know. They have a label maker, and don't you just print to your
    > lightscribe printer.

    I'm using Nero on XP and they have a lightscribe thingy <-note
    technical terminology here! built into their cover designer.

    David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User, Mar 20, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jane C Guest

    "Thingy" is a perfectly valid technical term ;-)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Mar 20, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Randy Gentry Guest

    The Lightscribe is for cd\dvd burners with lightscribe built into the
    drive. When you use
    a Lightscribe disk you can burn a label on the actual disk by turning it
    over and using the software.Several manufacturers have made their own
    Lightscribe programs and there
    are also some generic programs. The disks were expensive at first but the
    price has come down.I use them sometimes but to burn the label takes about
    five times as much time as burning the files to the disk.

    Randy Gentry, Mar 21, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    They have the following section, so it is covered. Sorry, there was no hit
    on 'thingie' so you are on your own there

    Burning labels onto discs using LightScribe®

    John Barnes, Mar 21, 2007
  11. "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > They have the following section, so it is covered. Sorry, there
    > was no hit on 'thingie' so you are on your own there
    >
    > Burning labels onto discs using LightScribe®

    Hey, thanks, but it's a costly experiment. I'll wait a bit I think. I
    was a bit disappointed to find out that Nero claims to work in Vista 64
    and then lists all the applications that will NOT work.

    I'm afraid Roxio might be the same.... does that "burning labels"
    section appear in Vista 64 or only on their website or only in Vista
    32?

    I've used Roxio in the past but prefer Nero so if there's ANY drawback
    to Roxio I won't get it and the LightScribe thingy is a deal breaker, I
    use it a bunch in XP, all my MSDN CDs/DVDs have the product key burned
    into the label!

    BTW, it's possible "thingy" was too technical a term for Roxio? <G>

    David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User, Mar 21, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    They seem to have their act together with the new Easy Media Creator 9.
    Everything seems to work well on Vista64 which I use. I use Drag-to-disk
    frequently myself. I drag certain files there daily to use for backups.
    Not as useful to me now that Vista has the shadow copies to restore. Colin
    convinced me to buy it, and if you look around you can get it quite
    reasonably. Some on the Vista site got it free after rebates and everyone
    seem satisfied. I am.

    John Barnes, Mar 21, 2007
  13. "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > They seem to have their act together with the new Easy Media
    > Creator 9. Everything seems to work well on Vista64 which I use.
    > I use Drag-to-disk frequently myself.

    Thanks for the info, can you tell me if the LightScribe functions?

    I emailed Roxio for answers but so far I've heard nothing.

    Free? After rebates? Oh, that wouldn't apply as I don't have a Roxio
    product to upgrade. <sigh>

    I want to run over and grab a copy, unfortunately I have another
    software program I'm concerned with, I have to finish TurboTax to find
    out if I can afford Roxio! <sigh>

    David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User, Mar 21, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Roxio has always allowed competing product' upgrade rebates.
    To qualify for the $20 upgrade/competitor mail-in rebate you must be a
    licensed user of a
    full retail box version product from one of the following publishers: Any
    Roxio/Sonic
    software; Nero, Ahead Software, Corel, Magix, Intervideo, Ulead, Nova
    Development, Sony,
    Me Too Software, Xoom, Cosmi, Adobe, Pinnacle, and Valusoft.

    Buy.com has had it free after rebates early on, not now. I don't use
    LightScribe, but here is the info from the help file

    Burning labels onto discs using LightScribe®
    LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling is an exciting disc labeling technology
    that lets you to burn CD and DVD labels simply by flipping the discs over
    and putting them back in the same disc drive that burned your data.
    To burn a label on to a disc using LightScribe:
    Create the label in Label Creator as you normally would. You can select one
    of the following styles:
    Quick Title: This style displays only the title and artist (for audio discs)
    or date (for data discs). Use the Quick Title template for the fastest label
    creation.
    Quick Content: This style displays the title and contents of the disc. For
    an audio disc, the contents are the track names, and for a data or MP3 disc,
    the contents are the file names.
    Or you can use a regular Label Creator style to include additional
    information and graphics on your label.

    Note: Using a style that includes graphics or a lot of text increases the
    amount of time it takes to burn the label on to the disc. The Quick Title
    and Quick Content styles take a few minutes to burn on to the disc, while a
    graphical label can take much longer.

    Insert the disc in the Lightscribe-capable recorder with the label side
    facing down.
    Click Print, or choose File > Print.
    The Print dialog box appears.

    From the Printer Name drop-down list, select the LightScribe-capable
    recorder, if it is not already selected.
    LightScribe provides three different contrast levels for you to choose from
    when labeling your discs. For Printing Preferences, select Best, Normal, or
    Draft quality.
    The label burn time will increase from Draft to Normal to Best:

    Best: Provides the sharpest contrast with the longest burn time. Use best
    level for important business transaction, gifts and personal treasures.
    Normal: Provides moderate burn time with good contrast. Use normal level for
    professional labels.
    Draft: Provides the fastest burn time with lowest contrast. Use draft level
    for utility labels.
    Enter the number of discs you want to burn labels to.
    Click OK to begin burning the label to the disc.
    The Burn Progress dialog box appears.

    The label burn time varies with the amount of information contained on the
    label, the placement of the information on the label, the contrast level
    selected, the LightScribe disc used and the drive.

    The LightScribe system burns the image in concentric, circular rings from
    the inside diameter to the outside diameter of the label surface. Rings that
    contain no image data are "skipped." A simple, circular title, such as a
    Quick Title label, is accomplished most quickly because the information is
    limited to a circular rings close to the inside diameter. The density of the
    rings is adjusted according to the contrast level selection so higher
    contrast is achieved through more densely packaged rings.

    The LightScribe disc itself and the drive compatibilities also influence the
    label burn time.
    In all cases, the writing system runs in the background and you can go on to
    other tasks while the label is burning.

    John Barnes, Mar 21, 2007
  15. "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > Roxio has always allowed competing product' upgrade rebates.
    > To qualify for the $20 upgrade/competitor mail-in rebate you must
    > be a licensed user of a full retail box version product from one
    > of the following publishers: Any Roxio/Sonic software; Nero, Ahead
    > Software, Corel, Magix, Intervideo, Ulead, Nova Development, Sony,
    > Me Too Software, Xoom, Cosmi, Adobe, Pinnacle, and Valusoft.

    Thanks, that's good to know.

    > Buy.com has had it free after rebates early on, not now. I don't
    > use LightScribe, but here is the info from the help file

    I'm guessing it'll work in 64 bit OSs but Roxio hasn't answered my
    email yet. Since my discount coupon from Costco expired (shoulda
    checked the ad before leaving town last weekend) there's no rush
    because I'm not yet ready to use Vista as my sole OS, XP is still
    filling that niche so I can wait and see what transpires with rebates,
    discounts, etc. and keep on using Nero on XP.

    Thanks again to all who have helped with this, looks like I'll be
    moving to Roxio from Nero.

    David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User, Mar 22, 2007
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:53:08 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >Ahead has updated its flagship product (Nero Burning ROM) to version 7.8.5.0

    Have they fixed the dodgy interface problems in this one?

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Mar 26, 2007
  17. Jud:
    They have certainly fixed the issue of Nero switching the theme from Aero to
    basic.
    Nero InCD still doesn't like x64.
    Nero SmartStart (which I don't use) has display problems with screen fonts
    larger than the normal 96 dpi.
    All in all, what I regularly use (Burning and Nero Showtime) work flawlessly.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Mar 28, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:08:03 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >Jud:
    >They have certainly fixed the issue of Nero switching the theme from Aero to
    >basic.

    That's not the one I was referring to. I sometimes rename files, and do
    that the same way as in Windows, with F2, and use Home and End, but in
    7.7.5 version, they introduced a new interface, where this didn't work
    anymore (you specifically had to right-click and select Rename, instead of
    simply pressing F2).

    >Nero InCD still doesn't like x64.

    Wonder if that will ever happen :-(

    >Nero SmartStart (which I don't use) has display problems with screen fonts
    >larger than the normal 96 dpi.
    >All in all, what I regularly use (Burning and Nero Showtime) work flawlessly.

    Ah well, glad to hear for you Vista-heads, they fixed the Aero-interface
    problem now :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Mar 28, 2007
  19. Jud:
    Good news.
    F2 works as usual (rename function) in 7.8.5.0.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Mar 28, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:52:03 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >Jud:
    >Good news.
    >F2 works as usual (rename function) in 7.8.5.0.

    Thanks for the update. Time for a download :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Mar 29, 2007