Nero/slideshow question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, Jul 15, 2006.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Ok -- I am new to a lot of this, so I need some basic help.

    I have a lot of photos on my hard drive. I would like to create a slide show
    on a CD.

    I would like to be able to send the CD to someone, have them put the CD in
    their drive, and have the slideshow automatically pop up.

    I am using Nero CD. I am using Nero Start Smart Software.

    I picked the task "Make a photo slide show (VCD)".

    I picked the pictures and trnsition effects and the chose burn the CD. It
    seems to have done that ok (Verbatim CD-R).

    But, when I pop the CD into the drive, I just a series of files. If I pick
    the folder EXT and then choose the file scandat.dat then the Nero program
    loads and does the slideshow.

    Is there a way to set it up so that someone else can just put the CD in the
    drive and slideshow runs??

    Mel
    MZB, Jul 15, 2006

  2. MZB

    me Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    > Ok -- I am new to a lot of this, so I need some basic help.
    >
    > I have a lot of photos on my hard drive. I would like to create a slide
    > show on a CD.
    >
    > I would like to be able to send the CD to someone, have them put the CD in
    > their drive, and have the slideshow automatically pop up.
    >
    > I am using Nero CD. I am using Nero Start Smart Software.
    >
    > I picked the task "Make a photo slide show (VCD)".
    >
    > I picked the pictures and trnsition effects and the chose burn the CD. It
    > seems to have done that ok (Verbatim CD-R).
    >
    > But, when I pop the CD into the drive, I just a series of files. If I pick
    > the folder EXT and then choose the file scandat.dat then the Nero program
    > loads and does the slideshow.
    >
    > Is there a way to set it up so that someone else can just put the CD in
    > the drive and slideshow runs??
    >
    > Mel

    I think they are meant to be played on a DVD player and watched on a TV (the
    hint is where it says VCD,meaning Video CD), then it will play correctly as
    it is meant to. It's only on the PC that it will look like it's just a bunch
    of files.
    Try it in your DVD player and it should work.
    me, Jul 15, 2006

  3. MZB

    MZB Guest

    But the media I used is a CD, not a DVD.

    Mel

    MZB, Jul 15, 2006
  4. MZB

    me Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    > But the media I used is a CD, not a DVD.

    Dosen't matter,99.99% of DVD players can play just about any disc you can
    throw at it . Video CD's are made on CD's ,so it should not have a problem
    playing it.
    me, Jul 15, 2006
  5. MZB

    MZB Guest

    tried it -- doesn't work

    mel

    MZB, Jul 16, 2006
  6. MZB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:48:02 -0400, "MZB" <>
    wrote:

    >But the media I used is a CD, not a DVD.

    Your dvd player will read CD's.
    Evan Platt, Jul 16, 2006
  7. MZB

    PeeCee Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    > Ok -- I am new to a lot of this, so I need some basic help.
    >
    > I have a lot of photos on my hard drive. I would like to create a slide
    > show on a CD.
    >
    > I would like to be able to send the CD to someone, have them put the CD in
    > their drive, and have the slideshow automatically pop up.
    >
    > I am using Nero CD. I am using Nero Start Smart Software.
    >
    > I picked the task "Make a photo slide show (VCD)".
    >
    > I picked the pictures and trnsition effects and the chose burn the CD. It
    > seems to have done that ok (Verbatim CD-R).
    >
    > But, when I pop the CD into the drive, I just a series of files. If I pick
    > the folder EXT and then choose the file scandat.dat then the Nero program
    > loads and does the slideshow.
    >
    > Is there a way to set it up so that someone else can just put the CD in
    > the drive and slideshow runs??
    >
    > Mel

    Mel

    If you can't get it to work try using Irfanview's create CD slideshow
    function.

    Irfanview is a 'free' best of breed picture viewer/slideshow/resizer/....
    available from http://www.irfanview.com/
    Make sure you get the 'Plugins' as well as the main program. (its all free!)

    It offers two methods, one using Nero, the other manually, as this quote
    from their help shows:

    <quote>
    1. Method: The easiest way is, if you have Nero Burning ROM (full or demo
    version) software installed:

    1.1. Create and test (play) the slideshow in the Slideshow dialog.

    1.2. Press in the slideshow dialog the button Burn to CD. (Note: The Nero
    PlugIn for IrfanView must be installed.)

    1.3. Choose the burn option, Data-CD is default/recommended.

    1.4. Insert empty CD-R/CD-RW in your burning device and burn it.

    1.5. Done.

    2. Method: Manual or special slideshow CD:

    2.1. Copy IrfanView files into the root CD folder. (You can also copy an INI
    file "i_view32.ini" with your settings.)

    2.2. Copy your images into the CD folder called e.g. "images".

    2.3. Create a TXT file (in slideshow dialog or using Notepad) with the names
    of the images. If your image files have names like "
    image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", etc. the TXT should look like this:

    ..\images\image1.jpg

    ..\images\image2.jpg

    etc.

    In each line is a file name with relative paths (relative to IrfanView,
    i_view32.exe).

    Save the TXT file e.g. as "slideshow.txt" in the CD root folder.

    2.4. Create the "autorun.inf" file (Notepad). Write in the file 2 lines:

    [AutoRun]

    open = i_view32.exe /slideshow=slideshow.txt

    Save "autorun.inf".

    2.5. Done. Burn the CD using your burning software.
    </quote>

    I've used Method 2 successfully and see no reason why Method 1 shouldn't
    work as well.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 16, 2006
  8. MZB

    me Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    > tried it -- doesn't work

    Weird,I made slideshow discs with Nero and they played perfectly on my DVD
    player (apart from the crap resolution on the TV!)
    me, Jul 16, 2006
  9. MZB

    MZB Guest

    I must be doing something wrong. When I put the CD in the DVD player all I
    get is the first picture. Nothing else happens

    MZB, Jul 16, 2006
  10. MZB

    me Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    >I must be doing something wrong. When I put the CD in the DVD player all I
    >get is the first picture. Nothing else happens

    Try pressing the next chapter button ,or the fast forward button on the
    remote,it should change to the next pic.
    me, Jul 17, 2006