    Any help / advice would be appeciated

    Many Thnx

    Marcus

    Scoobster, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Scoobster

    Baffie Guest

    On 23 Oct 2003 15:11:11 -0700, (Scoobster)
    wrote:

    >I currently user DVD Shrink to reduce the size of my movies so I can
    >back up DVDs to one disc and I am currently using Nero 6 as my burning
    >tool.
    >
    >The issue I have is that the the Recode option seems to take anything
    >between 1-2hrs, is there a quicker way? I've tried to use the Burning
    >ROM tool, but keep getting errors.
    >
    >Any help / advice would be appeciated
    >
    >Many Thnx
    >
    >Marcus

    Hi Marcus,

    I'm no expert, but here's how it works for me.

    I use dvdshrink and when I set it away to rip from the dvd in some
    cases, it advises that the movie is too big for one dvd and suggests
    you go to manual compression settings

    Do that, and progressively work your way down the settings till you
    get to one where you don't get the warning, use that setting and back
    up to your hard drive.

    Now, go to nero, select dvd, then select the dvd video template. and
    select go or whatever the active button is.

    In the template you'll see two folders:
    video_ts
    audio_ts

    open up the video_ts folder and drop all of the stuff you backed up to
    hard drive in there - now just select what speed you want to write the
    dvd at and click on burn.

    Hope I've not told you what you already know!

    hope that helps.

    Baffie.

    Please reply to newsgroup - it's not my address in the header!

    Baffie, Oct 23, 2003

  3. "Scoobster" <> wrote in message
    > I currently user DVD Shrink to reduce the size of my movies so I can
    > back up DVDs to one disc and I am currently using Nero 6 as my burning
    > tool.
    >
    > The issue I have is that the the Recode option seems to take anything
    > between 1-2hrs, is there a quicker way? I've tried to use the Burning
    > ROM tool, but keep getting errors.
    >
    > Any help / advice would be appeciated
    >
    > Many Thnx
    >
    > Marcus

    If you're doing a complete backup, keeping the menus and extras, then this
    is going to take 1-2 hours, no matter how you do it.

    DVDShrink is free, and just as fast as the other dvd copy tools (DVD X Copy,
    DVD2ONE, etc.).

    If you just want the movie, which is probably true, then you should click on
    "re-author", and drag "Title 1" from the "Movie" section onto the new window
    that just popped up.

    Then you can get rid of any unncessary audio tracks, and if you leave the
    subtitles it's okay, they only add up to a few megs, or you can get rid of
    them (since you probably only speak 1 language, you wouldnt need the french
    & spanish subtitles, or if youre in europe, you could keep them if you want
    to lend it to one of your friends who speaks a different language better
    than the one in the audio). Anyways, you cant recompress the audio, or
    subtitles, but you can recompress the video.

    So, just choose "Automatic" and then hit "Backup" and choose where to put
    them on your drive. If you're lucky and automatic says 100%, then you can
    choose no compression & that will let it fit in the 4.38GB (4.7 x 10^9
    bytes, which is 4.7 billion, but that's not 4.7 gigabytes, since 1 gigabyte
    = 1024^3 or 2^30 bytes, but anyways...).

    If it does say 100% then it will *not* take 1-2 hours, but perhaps 10 - 15
    minutes. This is because it just copies it from the disc, rather than if
    you need compression, where it copies from the disc loads it into buffer and
    then applies some sort of compression (its not a true recompress) and then
    puts it on your drive. As you can atleast guess, the compression part takes
    the longest, and given your 1-2 hour figure, I'm going to guess you have
    about a 700MHz PC.....I have a 1200 and it takes about 40 minutes for a 2
    hour movie.

    Anonymous Joe, Oct 24, 2003