    are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
    please help

    Terry C
    Terry C, Feb 23, 2007

  2. Terry C

    def456 Guest

    "Terry C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
    > copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
    > DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it
    >
    > What do need to change etc my wife is going
    > mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
    > are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
    > please help
    >
    > Terry C

    How big are your files to be copied? Ordinary single layer DVDs hold 4.7 GB
    maximum, while double layer DVDs can hold up to 8.5 GB.
    def456, Feb 23, 2007

  3. Terry C

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Terry C <> wrote:
    > Hi All

    > I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
    > copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
    > DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it

    Sounds like the problem is that your burner can only handle the single
    layer burnable DVDs which have a capacity of about 4.7GB (~2 hrs of video).
    Dual layer DVDs can hold up to 9.4GB.

    > What do need to change etc my wife is going
    > mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
    > are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
    > please help

    Well, one thing you can try is DVDShrink. It's a freeware program that
    will allow you to copy a DVD to your hard drive, then modify it in various
    ways. You can instruct DVDShrink to drop certain features like the menus,
    special features, addition soundtracks, subtitle tracks, etc. This is
    useful for helping trim the size down so it'll fit on a single layer
    burnable DVD.

    Another thing you can do with DVDShrink is have it re-encode the whole DVD
    (or just parts) to use a higher compression rate. This will result in
    smaller files, but may also result in lower video quality. However it is a
    good way to get the size of your DVD under that 4.7GB limit. Just be
    warned, it could take hours for DVDShrink to complete this operation.
    You'd usually want to start it before going to bed.

    DVDShrink is very easy to use - and will integrate with Nero directly, so
    once you are finished tweaking the files with DVDShrink, just click the
    "Burn" button, and it'll instruct Nero to do the rest.

    Alternatively, you could go and buy a newer DVD burner that can handle
    dual-layer discs. There may be compatibility issues with these dual-layer
    blanks and your DVD player, so check your documentation first.

    If you decide to go this route, I reccomend buying an external USB DVD
    burner. This allows you to easily move the burner between multiple PCs or
    laptops. Performance is the same, and is only slighly more expensive than
    the internal version of the same model.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Terry C

    mwebsurfer Guest

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > Terry C <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All

    >>I have Nero Express 6 installed have been making
    >>copy's of DVD's OK but when I need to copy a
    >>DVD that is longer than 2 hours it will not copy it

    > Sounds like the problem is that your burner can only handle the single
    > layer burnable DVDs which have a capacity of about 4.7GB (~2 hrs of video).
    > Dual layer DVDs can hold up to 9.4GB.
    >

    >>What do need to change etc my wife is going
    >>mad she needs copy's of some R&B dvds that
    >>are longer than 2 hours need to earn brownie points
    >>please help

    > Well, one thing you can try is DVDShrink. It's a freeware program that
    > will allow you to copy a DVD to your hard drive, then modify it in various
    > ways. You can instruct DVDShrink to drop certain features like the menus,
    > special features, addition soundtracks, subtitle tracks, etc. This is
    > useful for helping trim the size down so it'll fit on a single layer
    > burnable DVD.
    >
    > Another thing you can do with DVDShrink is have it re-encode the whole DVD
    > (or just parts) to use a higher compression rate. This will result in
    > smaller files, but may also result in lower video quality. However it is a
    > good way to get the size of your DVD under that 4.7GB limit. Just be
    > warned, it could take hours for DVDShrink to complete this operation.
    > You'd usually want to start it before going to bed.
    >
    > DVDShrink is very easy to use - and will integrate with Nero directly, so
    > once you are finished tweaking the files with DVDShrink, just click the
    > "Burn" button, and it'll instruct Nero to do the rest.
    >

    > Alternatively, you could go and buy a newer DVD burner that can handle
    > dual-layer discs. There may be compatibility issues with these dual-layer
    > blanks and your DVD player, so check your documentation first.
    >
    > If you decide to go this route, I reccomend buying an external USB DVD
    > burner. This allows you to easily move the burner between multiple PCs or
    > laptops. Performance is the same, and is only slighly more expensive than
    > the internal version of the same model.

    I use dvdshrink and it usually takes 15 min. or less to shrink a dvd. My
    pc is a 3.4 ghz intel.
    mwebsurfer, Feb 25, 2007
  5. Terry C

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    mwebsurfer <> wrote:

    > I use dvdshrink and it usually takes 15 min. or less to shrink a dvd. My
    > pc is a 3.4 ghz intel.

    Ah, that's good to know.

    I've been doing my DVD stuff on a 1.something Ghz Intel based Dell laptop
    with 512MB of RAM. Reliable, but not speedy ;)

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 26, 2007